A piece of sunshine

[김애란] Basking in sunlight

Basking in sunlight  

One of the helpful ways to treat depression would be taking a walk in a forest under the sunlight. Creating vitamin D synthesis and a hormone called serotonin, the sunlight boosts the mood, relieves stress, and improves sleep. 

The sunlight lets us feel calm, serene and focused because it gives us psychological peace and mental security. The sunlight also strengthens energy, gives vitality, builds strong bones and helps prevent cancer. 

I often experience strolling even without thinking helps me to release tension and stress, and to begin again. Forgiveness, reconciliation and resolution to begin anew are realized when walking freely. Words are not necessary anymore in this process of transformation.

Walking under a beam of sunshine is such an inspiring gift, like an effective medicine. What a pity it is to work hard all day long inside cement blocks!

It was very interesting to see the subway corridors being connected to the earth through the long pipes that reflect the sunlight from the sky. What a charming and refreshing idea it is to feel the pool of sunshine in underground darkness!

Living with the brilliant artificial light of neon signs, our sensitive emotions and thoughts sometimes become unnatural, mechanical and hard-boiled.

Looking at the air through a beam of sunshine, we can notice every particle of dust floating like a tiny thread. One day as I rested in the bright sunshine, I noticed so much dust freely swimming in the air in the room. Like fine dust, it moves around everywhere so openly without stopping. 

In the pitch-darkness where there is no light on, the dust is hardly seen. But once revealed under the bright sunshine, every single movement is noticeable. In fact, we breathe in the midst of dust. One day, we shall surely return to dust.

One of the things I enjoy these days is taking a break under the sunshine in my room, for gentle beams of sunlight flood into every corner of it.

For the first time in my religious life in the Congregation, I am staying in a southward room. I used to stay in the north facing room.

When I lived in the "northward" room, I enjoyed taking a walk on a nearby hill during the break after lunch to appreciate and feel sunshine.

Early this year, as I was assigned to stay in the south facing room, I was so grateful and happy for this gift to feel the pool of sunshine. I feel happier and cozier because I can feel every step under the sun even in my room. From one side of the wall to the other, the sunlight is reflected continually, and my bed is filled with sunshine that makes me warm-hearted, peaceful and blissful.

To me, basking in the sunlight leads me to look at conscience as well so as to examine and discern its inner movement. Where does the mind flow? What do I feel when the mind moves ahead? What do I choose? How do I think? Being mindful of the way I should go on is such a blessing. 

Breathing in, I talk to God, "Lord, help me!" Breathing out, I give thanks to God, saying "Thank you, Lord!"

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,