A piece of sunshine

Positive thinking

Climate change constantly warns us to be careful about our way of life. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) frightens people all over the world these days. 

On top of everything else, many politicians are still finding fault with one another even though we have lots of good points in this country.

Will everything just carry on? Will everything be alright? We don't know what lies ahead. We just live and do our best every moment.

In spite of cold weather and the frightening Coronavirus, nature witnesses vitality. The perseverance of nature empowers all living beings on earth.

In our garden, these days, golden yellow flowers called "Adonis amurensis" (Amur Adonis or Pheasant's eye, "bok-su-cho" in Korean) are in full bloom under the sunshine.

Without fail, "boksucho" came out of the frozen earth in early February as if to give us blessings, longevity, and eternal happiness. Yellow petals are spread to the fullest towards the sun, but they withdraw themselves immediately under the shadow. Under the freezing snow, it looks like it's dead but it comes to life under the sun again. What a marvelous image of resurrection it is!

As the flowers open their petals to the fullest under the bright sun, so we open our hearts wide when we are encouraged, loved, and inspired. Surely, positive energy attracts goodness.

"That's OK. That's alright." This positive affirmation is still lingering in my heart. "That's OK. That's alright. Everything will be well."

On my mother's final day in this life, we accompanied her for her last breaths through the whole morning in the intensive care unit. Her fragile breaths dimmed out little by little while relying on various tubes and beeping sounds. My mother couldn't say anything anymore, but it seemed that she still held something inside. Maybe she was worried about me, the youngest daughter, and some of her grandchildren. Perhaps she was concerned about the not fully resolved relationship with her second son and her first daughter… Who would know her heart? I don't know exactly what lingered in her heart just before her entrance to heaven.

Almost agonizing together, my second sister kept saying, "That's OK. That's alright." Probably because my second sister was born with solar energy; she has brighter and more optimistic perspectives of life.

I couldn't say anything at that moment. Looking at the pale face of my mother, I stood nearby and prayed. I didn't shed tears anymore. In between, we prayed aloud and sang hymns together to console her enduring departure.

Thus, life goes on. Some people go to heaven first; other people still appreciate being alive. Some people constantly point out the negative points and weaknesses, but many people still encourage and inspire one another.

Good memories help us to have an inspiring vision; they make our lives more meaningful, passionate, faithful, and creative. Several days ago, I had a stomach ache. So I took some medicine, but the pain didn't stop. Before sleeping, I placed the rosary that my mother used on top of my belly. In the morning, I was so refreshed as another new day began.

No matter how much of a struggle our reality is, life goes on. New sprouts are come out, and flowers bloom again. "That's OK. That's alright."

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,