A piece of sunshine

[김애란] Sleeping St. Joseph

By Kim Ae-ran

Dreams appear while sleeping. Sometimes, dreams come true but many dreams are underlying and hidden in the unconscious world. Usually, dreams reveal mysterious signs that show not only potential dangers but glad tidings as well.

St. Joseph, the husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary heard the voices of angels in his dreams in Matthew 1.20 and 2.19. He read the signs of God's providence when the angels appeared to him.

Surely, we can be healed and become healthier during sleep. I close my eyes to take a rest, but the mysterious, amazing, and supernatural power continues to work in me. Tension, stress, and worries both in the soul and in the body are released through sleeping. Sound and sufficient sleep help the body to be healed and liberated from burdens.

A statue of the sleeping St. Joseph became popular when Pope Francis visited the Philippines in January 2015. There, in one of the meetings, he shared his own story of putting a little statue of the sleeping Joseph with dark green and red garments on his desk. 

Whenever the Pope has a problem or difficulty, he writes about it on a piece of paper and puts it underneath the statue in the hope that St. Joseph can dream about it. Finally St. Joseph listens and helps solve the problem. From his life in Buenos Aires, the Pope has had a very special devotion to St. Joseph.

St. Joseph was most attentive to his family with Mary and Jesus. St. Joseph was generous, silent, listening, open-minded, and faithful to the last moment of his life. He totally gave himself to protect and look after his family. As a dreamer, he was keen to listen to the voice of God.

"Now he (St. Joseph) sleeps on a mattress of notes! I sleep well: it is the grace of God." The Pope affirms that praying to St. Joseph gives himself peace, which is a gift from the Lord.

Our country is facing a drastic and radical transformation day in and day out. All of our religious sisters in their united hearts are constantly praying for peace in the country and the world. 

Why don't we pray together to St. Joseph to protect and guard our country? Here is a well-known prayer to the sleeping St. Joseph. 

"O Saint Joseph, you are a man greatly favored by the Highest. The angel of the Lord appeared to you in dreams, while you slept, to warn you and guide you as you cared for the Holy Family. You were both silent and strong, a loyal and courageous protection. Dear St. Joseph, as you rest in the Lord, confident of His absolute power and goodness, look upon me. Please take my need into your heart, dream about it, and present it to your Son. Help me then, good Saint Joseph, to hear the voice of God, to arise, and act with love. I praise and thank God with joy. St. Joseph, I love you. Amen."

The author is a member of the Daughters of St. Paul (Figlie di San Paolo) living and giving the Good News to the world by means of social communication. Learn more about the congregation at fsp.pauline.or.kr.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,