A piece of sunshine

<영어에세이>Fraternity 형제애

Fraternity 형제애

The United Nations proclaimed Feb. 4 to be celebrated as "the International Day of Human Fraternity." Together with Ahmad al-Tayyeb, grand imam of al-Azhar, Pope Francis joined in an online meeting for its first celebration.

Throughout the history of religious life, "fraternity in communion" has been an important issue. Witnessing fraternal life was most necessary to follow the spiritual ways of life.

Even in my case, when I first entered the religious congregation, what I had to concentrate on was not to study but to live the community life well. The priority of my religious life was to learn and put into practice how to be with others and how to belong to the community. In that sense, I think I got an "F" grade during my initial formation period.

At that time, I couldn't renounce my longing to study at once; nevertheless, I had to give up my sincerity for further study. Since then, many years have passed away, and now my hair is growing white.

Thanks to the providence of God, I could join in the Charism course in Rome from September 2016 to May 2017. In that course, I encountered Hermeneutics for the first time. It was very interesting to analyze the given text precisely from the perspectives of Hermeneutics, which requires another reflective point of view to read and analyze the symbolic meaning of the text more thoroughly.

Being attracted to Hermeneutics, I kept thinking of studying further on it. Especially because it helps me to understand the original text and translate appropriately, I was eager to pursue the study.

However, considering my age as I am growing older, I made up my mind to take some free time to study Hermeneutics by myself.

Along the way, I was introduced to "Roundabout way of Interpretation" written by Prof. Kim Han-sik at Chung-Ang University. Through his generous help, I was acquainted with several other books by Paul Ricoeur (1913-2005): "The Symbolism of Evil," "The Conflict of Interpretations: Essays in Hermeneutics," "Time and Narrative," and "From Text to Action." But I found them difficult to read by myself alone.

Anyway, in this way, my interest in Hermeneutics has deepened and progressed, and these perspectives give me more insight on the present.

In the Year of the Ox in 2021, we are learning the critical value of community life living in a "common house." Through various disasters in nature, we are experiencing that all of us, whether small or big, rich or poor, are closely interconnected. Interdisciplinary research is not applied to academic fields only; everything in every corner of our lives is closely interrelated to one another.

Pope Francis in his extraordinary moment of prayer on the empty piazza of the Vatican on March 27, 2020, confessed that "we are on the same boat, all of us fragile and disoriented… all of us are called to row together."

In the encyclical "Fratelli Tutti," he invites us to be the Samaritans, to act together, to live fraternity and social friendship, to dream together. What matters most is not to pass by but to share people's afflictions and wounds, caring for others, and being close to those in need.

Fraternity 형제애

UN은 2월 4일을 “국제 인간 형제애의 날”로 기념하기로 선포했다. 프란치스코 교황은 알아즈하르의 대이맘 아흐메드 알타예브와 함께 제1차 형제애의 날을 기념하는 온라인 모임에 참여했다.  

수도 생활의 역사에 걸쳐 “친교 안의 형제애”는 매우 중요한 주제가 되어 왔다. 영적 삶의 방식을 따라가려면 형제적 삶의 증거가 가장 필요했다. 

본인의 경우에도 처음 수도회에 입회했을 때 집중해야 했던 것은 공부가 아니라 공동체 생활을 잘하는 것이었다. 수도 생활의 우선사항은 다른 사람들과 함께하며 공동체에 속하는 법을 익히고 실천하는 것이었다. 그런 의미에서 나는 초기 양성기 동안 “F” 등급을 받았다고 생각한다.

그 당시 나는 공부에 대한 열망을 곧바로 버릴 수 없었지만, 그럼에도 진심으로 더 공부하려는 마음을 내려놓아야 했다. 그 이래 여러 해가 흘러갔고, 이제는 머리카락이 하얗게 되어가고 있다. 

하느님의 섭리로 2016년 9월부터 2017년 5월까지 로마에서 진행된 카리스마 코스에 참여할 수 있었다. 그 코스에서 처음으로 해석학을 만났다. 텍스트의 상징적 의미를 더 철저하게 읽고 분석하기 위해 또 다른 반사적 관점을 필요로 하는 해석학 측면에서 주어진 텍스트를 꼼꼼하게 분석하는 것이 무척 흥미로웠다.

해석학에 매료된 나는 이에 대해 더 공부할 생각을 계속했다. 특히 원문을 이해하고 적절하게 번역하는 데 도움이 되기에 공부를 계속하고 싶었다.  

그런데 점점 나이가 들어감에 따라 내 나이를 감안하여 자유 시간을 내어 해석학을 독학하기로 마음먹었다.

그 여정에서 중앙대학교 김한식 교수님이 쓴 「해석의 에움길」을 소개받았다. 교수님의 관대한 도움으로 폴 리쾨르(1913-2005)가 쓴 「악의 상징」, 「해석의 갈등: 해석학 에세이」, 「시간과 이야기」, 「텍스트에서 행동으로」와 같은 몇 가지 책을 접하게 되었다. 하지만 혼자서 읽는 것이 어려웠다.

어쨌거나 이런 식으로 해석학에 대한 나의 관심이 깊어져 진전되었고, 이러한 관점은 현재에 대한 통찰력을 더 많이 제공한다. 

2021년 황소의 해에 우리는 “공동의 집”에서 사는 공동체 삶의 주요 가치를 배우고 있다. 다양한 자연 재해를 통해 우리 모두는 작든 크든, 부유하든 가난하든 서로 밀접하게 연결되어 있음을 체험한다. 학제간 연구는 학문 분야에만 적용되는 것이 아니다. 우리 삶의 구석구석에 있는 모든 것은 서로 긴밀하게 연관된다.

프란치스코 교황은 2020년 3월 27일, 바티칸의 텅 빈 광장에서 주례한 특별한 기도의 순간에 이렇게 고백했다. “우리는 같은 배를 타고 있습니다. 우리 모두는 약하고 길을 잃었습니다…. 우리 모두는 함께 노를 저으라는 부름을 받았습니다” 하고 고백했다. 

회칙 「모든 형제들」에서 교황은 사마리아인이 되라고, 함께 행동하라고, 형제애와 사회적 우정을 살아가라고, 함께 꿈을 꾸라고 초대한다. 가장 중요한 것은 사람들 곁을 스쳐 지나가는 것이 아니라, 이웃을 돌보며 도움이 필요한 사람들 가까이 있으면서 그들의 고통과 상처를 나누는 것이다.  

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,