A piece of sunshine

[김애란] Journey like a spiral circle

Journey like a spiral circle

By Kim Ae-ran 

With the arrival of hundreds of people fleeing from Yemen, the migrant issue has become more sensitive, serious, and critical in Korea. Some people still protest against the acceptance of refugees and demand to abolish the Jeju Island visa so that the refugees may not settle in the asylum. 

Every year, more migrant workers are coming to perform not only professional work but also take on demanding jobs. Migrants from China are the biggest group, among other groups from Vietnam, Thailand, the United States, Uzbekistan, the Philippines, Japan, Cambodia, Mongolia, Indonesia, Russia, and others. 

Naturally, migrant communities are increasing here and also throughout Korea. In Seoul alone, English Mass is offered in various Catholic parishes such as Hyewha-dong, Myeongdong, Hannam-dong, Doksan-dong, Nakseongdae-dong, and so on. Masses in Tagalog, Vietnamese, and Chinese are served as well every Sunday.

Each diocese has its own migrant community. For example, the Daejeon diocese has its "Moyse" migrants center; the Uijeongbu diocese, its "Exodus" migrants center; the Suwon diocese, its 'Emmaus' migrants center. 

In the industrial suburbs such as Ansan and Siheung in Gyeonggi-do, many migrant workers are staying there temporarily, and even illegally. Furthermore, bi-national marriage is encouraged in rural districts, thus creating multinational families and multicultural society.

In our history, many Koreans also went abroad to Germany, the United States or the Middle East as farmers, miners, nurses or workers to overcome their economic limitations. Many of them worked hard at two or three part-time jobs a day to survive, settling down in a foreign country with better surroundings to support their families.

In fact, our ancestors had a nomadic life moving and upgrading constantly in search of grasses, fruits, and vegetables. Israelites in the era of Exodus in the Old Testament moved on and on through the desert.

Nowadays, due to wars, violence, persecution, natural disaster, lots of people cannot but depart from their comfort nests to challenge themselves going to the frontiers. 

In the Catholic Church, with special intentions, going voluntarily to the frontiers with a mission to proclaim the Good News has become the witness of living a missionary spirit. We are challenged to go on a journey to the frontiers so as to sow the truth among people.

Looking back to myself, I also have undergone a journey constantly. Geographically growing up in a little village in the rural area where I was born, I was later transferred to a middle-class city, then to the capital city, and then to several countries in the world. I kept going forward. Along the geographical movement and transference, my mentality and spirituality also have progressed and transformed continually.

Such journeys, both geographical and spiritual, would never end at one point, for they are something like a spiral circle or staircase without end.. The spiral journey is repeated, circulating, and perpetual. Of course, every turn in the spiral pattern is filled with valuable experiences, inspiring learning, and abundant graces. All the ups and downs, turns and twists make our life full of energy, inspiration, and enlightenment.

Thus, without knowing where we will end, we just go on, living every moment to the fullest. On the way, we encounter various people and diverse situations. Quite unexpected sometimes, but the thing is that we follow the light, full of vital life leading to "the truth of love." From this vitality comes the principles of solidarity, integrity, tolerance, flexibility, and universality that invite us to do good without cost to others beyond discrimination.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,