A piece of sunshine

At Taepung Observatory

Taking care of some parts of our gardens every day, I clearly observe and experience the mysterious vitality of the life of various flowers and trees these days. So mysterious and marvelous that I can't but believe the joyful proclamation of the rebirth of Jesus. Through the nature, I firmly believe that Jesus has risen! Jesus is always alive in nature and among us.

Up until February, there was no sign of life at all on the ground, but the tender buds and delicate sprouts began to come up little by little from March. 

The creative and dynamic power to come up from the underground is so energetic and enormous that the colorful spring spontaneously reveals the creative and vivid beauty of life. The process of sprouting and shooting up in the nature itself tells the mystery of resurrection. 

After celebrating Easter Sunday, our communities went for an Easter picnic on Monday. About 250 members of the Pauline Family in Korea took a pilgrim to Taepung Observatory in Yeoncheon near the North. It was the second community picnic that the Pauline Family organized together since 2014. 

Especially with a sincere and urgent wish for a peaceful reunification in the same spirit of peace movement across the country, we paid this pilgrimage together.

In Taepung Observatory, I could see the well-known distances of 2km from each country. Along the Imjin River, the 7th largest river flowing from North to South, we walked the 11th track of peace on the mountain for about two hours while praying the rosary. 

The Imjin River and the surrounding fields looked so peaceful and silent around the Demilitarized Zone. There were no speaker sounds any more in the air coming from the North. 

The sky was lofty as high as our dreams for the reunification. Azalea, forsythia, cherry blossom, bridal wreath, and magnolia in full bloom seem to wait for peaceful reconciliation and harmony as well.

After painful suffering from Japanese colonization from 1910 to 1945, we finally became independent on Aug. 15, 1945. But the most miserable Korean War occurred on June 25, 1950 due to North Korea with the support from Russia. 

The Korean War lasted for three years, and the Armistice agreement created the Demilitarized Zone called the 38th parallel line on July 27, 1953. This boundary between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North) and the Republic of Korea (South) was established between the Soviet Union and the United States. 

The armed military defense is prohibited in the Demilitarized Zone 2km each in the South and North. The length of the DMZ is about 248km (155 miles). 

Due to the ceasefire, several sorrowful lines across our beautiful mountains came into being like the military demarcation line, Southern limit line, Northern limit line, and civilian control line as well as terms such as Joint security area, Joint utilization zone or peace working agreement.

How long have we had hope for the reunification to be fulfilled! "Our hope is the reunification. Even in our dreams we wish for reunification. 

A reunification carried out with all my heart and soul. Let's achieve the reunification. The reunification will revive our people. The reunification will revive our nation. The reunification, come quickly! The reunification, come!"

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,