A piece of sunshine

Being an umbrella

BTS (Bangtan Boys or Bulletproof Boy Scouts) first began its formation in 2010 and released its first album "2 Cool 4 Skool" in 2013. In April 2019, BTS released its sixth mini-album, "Map of the Soul: Persona" to express their wholehearted gratitude for those who inspire and support their international singing performances. 

Truly, all the success and recognition are realized by the marvelous help and the hidden power of people around the world. The powerful and creative energy behind performances and appearances is like the dynamic and spontaneous sprouts of the roots deeply penetrated into the subsoil. 

Behind the gorgeous activity, there are always thousands of fans, supporters, collaborators, benefactors, volunteers who are presenting generously like an umbrella under the rain and the hidden roots in the underground under the sun. Who would deny the necessary presence of hidden power bringing some fruitful results?

One day, I had a lunch appointment outside. I went out without an umbrella even though the sky looked gray. I didn't expect rain at all. As I got off the subway and came up from the stairs, I noticed it had already started drizzling while I was in the subway. So I wore the hood on my jacket and walked on.

Walking on and on, I encountered a woman with a rosary in her hand. She greeted me so warm-heartedly that she handed her white plastic umbrella over to me, saying "Sister, please take it. I can't endure watching a Sister walking under the rain."

"It's okay, for the rain is not so heavy."

"Please take it. I can buy another one for me. It's really my pleasure."

I tried not to accept her favor because it was just drizzling. However, in the end, I accepted her willing kindness.

What a compassionate heart she has! I asked her name because I wanted to remember her in my prayer, and she simply said "Agatha" and went away in the rain. 

Her goodwill reminded me of the willing support of Helena who passed away because of cancer several years ago. She was still quite young and tried hard to apply alternative medicine, but she couldn't persevere the destructive power of infection to the other parts of her body.

While I stayed in Singapore, she regularly brought various fruits and some necessities, for herself and her husband Raymond, and decided to help others as much as they could. They thought providing something good to eat is one way of helping, for health is fundamental above anything else.

When I needed exercise, she even invited me to the badminton court. When I needed some diversion to relieve stress, she brought me to the park and helped me to keep emotionally balanced. 

When I needed the funds, she collected used goods donated by her acquaintances and sold them finally to accumulate some funds to support our community. She sincerely wanted to become a faithful friend to a missionary.

How can I forget so much spiritual consolation that I received from her presence! Not only helping me but also volunteering to give a hand to the cook at the nursing home run by the Congregation of the Missionary of Charity, she did her best as an umbrella to support and to do something good for others. In heavens, she will still carry extra umbrellas to share with others.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,