A piece of sunshine

Inflexed roots of mugwort

Inflexed roots of mugwort

By Kim Ae-ran

How precious water is! Many people in Africa still draw water from a spring far away from home. Many countries including North Korea are suffering from serious drought.

Fortunately, by nature, about 70 percent of our land consists of mountains; so we are still using water in abundance. The water in the valleys have been diminished evidently due to global warming, but the water is still flowing in plenty. When we turn on the faucet, we have immediate access to water. 

We are so grateful because we can drink enough water whenever we need and we can use water for farming and industrial business. 

When we don't water the garden regularly, the leaves are flattened and withered up to the point of giving their lives away due to the lack of vitality and photosynthesis. When we water the plants enough, the stems become straight and lively to stand with dignity. Water truly gives life to every living creature.

Among various plants, mugwort draws my attention these days. The bitter mugwort leaves are so good for our health that we can put them into soup; we can also add them to flavor rice cakes. Moxa is used for cautery. Mugwort is so germinant that the plants can grow in any place even without being watered enough. You can dig them out, but they'll still grow somewhere.

I notice its enduring vitality on a little rising ground where a tall zelkova is standing in the center in front of a little hut for used goods and garbage. Aside from turf, many mugwort plants were growing together. One day, I began to pull them out with the intention to plant rose moss in their places. 

What a surprise to see the twisted roots of mugworts! Because nobody watered this area for many years, the mugwort plants seemed to survive by turning, bending, twisting the roots here and there.

For the plants, it is the root that retains the water sap to preserve the marvelous energy to grow and sustain. When there is enough water, the root is smooth and straight. When there is enough water, the roots can grow straight because there is no need to make extra efforts to access water. 

On the other hand, when there is not much water in the earth, the roots grow smaller but become stronger with knots, turns, and twists. The shapes of the roots tell their stories of growing over the years.

When circumstances are not favorable, the plants do their best to draw energy and finally to overcome the miserable situation. Unlike those plants growing in the greenhouse, the wild plants in the field are more natural and sturdy.

Observing the inflexed roots of mugworts, I could feel the persevering power of living beings. It would be the same with our human conditions. When our background is not favorable, when the situation is twisted or knotted, we are eager to go out in search of alternative paths. 

In that situation, what do we need most? How can we become strong and sturdy when the situation is troublesome and demanding? For us, Christians, the best treasure attic in the shack would be "prayer in faith" that helps and inspires us to recharge with amazing spiritual energy. 

Thus, Jesus invites us to come nearer to him. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."(Mt 11:28) 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,