A piece of sunshine

Ars moriendi

Ars moriendi 

"We are here to connect. Life is about people. Advertising is about illuminating how our products and services will improve people's lives. Now how we do that? Love, time, death ― these three experiences connect every single thing, for we long for love, we wish to have more time, and we fear death." 

This was addressed by Howard, a successful New York advertising executive in celebration of the foundation of his company, in the film, "Collateral Beauty." 

Through the tearful healing journey of Howard, who suffered the terrible loss of his six-year-old daughter due to GBM, this film tells us the beauty of healing with the help of surrounding friends also suffering from hurt and pain. 

Through the images of domino chains and structures, this film shows us that everything is connected. Paradoxically, when we suffer a loss, the world looks more beautiful and meaningful.

"Ars moriendi" means the art of dying, which is a serious issue to deeply ponder. How can we die well? How can we prepare a good death? 

One of the lifelong hopes of my mother was to die peacefully as if she slept, especially during Lent. She passed away in serenity even though she was on life support for four days.

When she lost consciousness, the doctor suggested kidney dialysis, but we didn't want her to suffer anymore. Then, the doctor suggested they assist her breathing through various tubes. So we waited until her last breath. 

During her life, she didn't suffer from any cancer. She just underwent the natural process of weakening bones due to osteoporosis. 

My mother lived for almost a hundred years. Her husband died early at the age of 60. So we believed that she lived the extra years that her husband didn't have. 

When she grew older, she sometimes said, "Why am I not able to die yet?" She seemed to want to die soon. One day, when I visited her, she kept singing while looking at the full moon, "Moon, moon, the bright moon… Let us live a myriad years…" I felt she appreciated her life.

She went through two surgeries before her death. Her condition was still good after the operations but unfortunately she developed a complication. 

With the help of advanced medicine, she died in peace while we waited for her last breath in hymns and prayers, until the wrinkles on her forehead flattened at the last moment.

When I prayed with the rosary near her deathbed, I felt her head facing towards me. I still feel she is praying constantly in heaven. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,