We'll walk hand in hand.

We'll walk hand in hand someday…

We shall live in peace. 

We shall live in peace. 

We shall live in peace someday…

We are not afraid.

We are not afraid. 

We are not afraid today..." 

This is a famous gospel and folk song that was first introduced under the title of "I'll overcome someday" in 1900. I still remember humming this song when I attended university. 

This song invites us to dream for the future and to have the inner power to overcome all the present difficulties. Truly, our country has endured in many ways to overcome various obstacles so far, and therefore, I believe that we can overcome whatever comes in front of us.

When North Korean leader Kim Jong-un met United States President Donald Trump for the first time in a historical summit on June 12, 2018, in Singapore, Kim expressed that "it was not easy to get here. The old prejudices and practices worked as obstacles, but we have overcome them and we are here today."

I think this confession is such a marvelous comment on his firm resolution to renovate the country with a dream. It is so consoling to see the gradual transformation of the world. Furthermore, the North Korean leader is no longer an opponent but a collaborator with the broad, open-minded and visionary perspectives at the young age of 34 only. 

Dreaming of mutual prosperity and universal peace in the future, all the negative memories about the inevitable wrongdoings in the past cannot tie us anymore. The hatred and resentment always make the stubborn prejudices and the hardened practices that become obstacles on the way to mutual collaboration and solidarity with goodwill.

It is true that we are here thanks to the past. Without the past, we can't exist in the present. Without the present, we will not be in the future. Every single moment of our times is closely related to one another. The past experiences, whether bad or good, build up the better presence. Because of many efforts, difficulties, perseverance, sacrifice, every moment is enhanced and progressed.

Pride and prejudice always create barriers and walls. In Korea, there is a very special sentiment or emotion, that is, sorrow or sadness. The poverty, the war, the ideological confrontation, the difference, and competence usually create sorrow and regret deep in the heart, and this negative and reserved feeling is changed into resentment and hatred unless the deep root of regret is healed, released, and freed from the inner heart.

Dream and hope are such good things that they become driving forces to go on and challenge to create a better world. Because of a hopeful dream, we can go on our journeys, no matter how many efforts and sweats we make while dedicating ourselves to achieve the goal.

The author is a member of the Daughters of St. Paul (Figlie di San Paolo) living and giving the Good News to the world by means of social communication. Learn more about the congregation at fsp.pauline.or.kr.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,