A piece of sunshine

<영어에세이>Person with smiles 웃는 사람

Person with smiles 웃는 사람

A person full of smiles is always beautiful, friendly, and touching.

A person full of smiles is always beautiful, friendly, and touching. As Solomon in the Old Testament says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine" (Proverbs 17:22), and, "A glad heart means a happy face; where the heart is sad the spirit is broken" (Proverbs 15:13), a person full of smiles expresses delight, sociability, happiness, friendliness and joy. I think smiling is the best means of communication and the greatest happiness in our life without paying any cost.

It is said that a Korean adult laughs about seven to eight times a day, while people in other countries laugh about 15 times a day in general. And babies laugh over 300 to 500 times a day.

There are 43 facial muscles in the face, and among them, 17 muscles move to laugh. Almost as a panacea or the best medicine, laughing brings about various good hormones like dopamine and endorphins. Laughing also releases depression, cancer and other diseases.

Pope Francis once said: "We have to laugh well. Laughter is good for health. Laughter reduces stress, unrest, and arteriosclerosis…. It increases positive cholesterol and spiritual health as well. After laughing, we feel refreshed. Surely, laughter is a clear way of expressing joy. I love laughter. Laughter lets me feel. The essence of laughter is immunity. God wants us to be happy and to laugh. God also laughs. Like love, laugher is a gift from God."

Recently, Bishop Lazarus You Heung-sik in the diocese of Daejeon was appointed prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy in the Holy See. Naturally, he became an archbishop and thus he will be ordained a cardinal sooner or later.

After Filipino Cardinal Jose Tomas Sanchez, Bishop Lazarus is the first South Korean to assume the position of "prefect" taking care of more than 400,000 priests around the world.

Originally belonging to the diocese of Daejeon, I was always conscious of his presence and observed that he has an extraordinary competence for friendly smiles, organization, and administration.

Since he has been a bosom friend of my second sister, I always appreciated his full smiles. His wholehearted laughter is so unique, spontaneous, and pure that he attracted various people beyond religion and ideology.

Smiles are God's gift as Job says that God fills "our mouth with laughter and our lips with rejoicing" (Job 8:21). Because the Lord has done great things for us, "our mouths were filled with laughter; our tongues sang for joy" (Psalms 126:2-3).

I think his smiles come from his simplicity, innocence, and freedom. He has no bank account; he is free to live with a spirit of poverty and entrustment to providence. At the same time, he is trying his best to be a good shepherd with his pastoral motto of "Lux Mundi" (I am the light). Without a distinction between Christian or non-Christian, he is willing to welcomes others. Without a sense of authority, he is good at harmonizing with other religions and making friendly relationships with others according to their level.

Furthermore, he is totally united with the Roman Catholic Church. When Pope Francis invited us to care for the poor countries alienated from getting the COVID-19 vaccine, he immediately accepted his offer and supported the church with generous sharing.

웃는 사람

웃음이 가득한 사람은 언제나 아름답고 친절하며 감동적이다.

웃음이 가득한 사람은 언제나 아름답고 친절하며 감동적이다. 구약성경에 나오는 솔로몬이 “즐거운 마음은 건강을 좋게 하고 기가 꺾인 정신은 뼈를 말린다”(잠언 17,22), “마음이 즐거우면 얼굴이 밝아지고 마음이 괴로우면 기가 꺾인다”(잠언 15,13)고 말하듯, 웃음이 가득한 사람은 즐거움, 사교적인 마음, 행복, 친근감, 기쁨을 드러낸다. 나는 웃음이 우리 삶에서 어떤 대가도 치르지 않고 나눌 수 있는 가장 좋은 의사 소통 수단이요 가장 큰 행복이라고 생각한다.

한국 성인은 대개 하루에 7~8번 정도 웃고, 다른 나라에서는 하루에 15번 정도 웃는다고 한다. 아기들은 하루에 300~500번이 넘게 웃는다.

얼굴에는 43개의 안면 근육이 있는데, 그 가운데 17개의 근육이 움직여 웃음을 자아낸다. 만병통치약 또는 가장 좋은 약과 같은 웃음은 도파민과 엔돌핀 같은 여러 좋은 호르몬을 생성시킨다. 웃음은 또한 우울증과 암을 비롯한 여러 질병을 완화한다.

프란치스코 교황은 이렇게 말했다. “우리는 잘 웃어야 합니다. 웃음은 건강에 좋습니다. 웃음은 스트레스와 불안, 동맥경화를 감소시킵니다. … 웃음은 좋은 콜레스테롤을 높이며 영적 건강도 좋아지게 합니다. 웃고 나면 기분이 상쾌하게 됩니다. 분명 웃음은 기쁨을 표현하는 확실한 방법입니다. 저는 웃는 것을 좋아합니다. 웃음은 저를 자유롭게 합니다. 웃음의 핵심은 면역력입니다. 하느님은 우리가 행복하게 웃기를 바라십니다. 하느님도 웃으십니다. 사랑처럼 웃음은 하느님의 선물입니다.”

최근 대전교구 유흥식 라자로 주교님이 교황청 성직자성 장관으로 임명되었다. 자연스럽게 주교님은 대주교가 되었고 조만간 추기경이 될 것이다.

필리핀 추기경 호세 토마스 산체스에 이어 라자로 주교님은 한국인 최초로 40만 명이 넘는 세계 사제들을 돌보는 ‘장관’ 직위를 맡는다.

원래 대전교구에 속했던 나는 늘 주교님의 현존을 의식했고, 주교님은 친근한 미소를 지으며, 조직력과 행정력이 탁월함을 보았다.

주교님은 내 둘째 언니와 흉금을 터놓는 친구이기에 나는 언제나 그 함박 웃음에 감사했다. 그 진심 어린 웃음은 무척 고유하고 자연스럽고 순수하여 종교와 이념을 초월해 다양한 사람들을 끌어들였다.

하느님께서 "자네 입을 웃음으로, 자네 입술을 환호로 채워 주실 것"(욥기 8,21)이라고 욥이 말한 것처럼 웃음은 하느님의 선물이다. 주님께서 우리에게 큰일을 하셨기에 "우리 입은 웃음으로, 우리 혀는 환성으로 가득"(시편 126,2-3)하다.

주교님의 미소는 단순함과 순수함, 자유로움에서 나온다고 생각한다. 주교님은 은행 계좌가 없으며, 청빈 정신으로 섭리에 내어 맡기며 자유롭게 사신다. 동시에 주교님은 “Lux Mundi”(나는 세상의 빛)이라는 사목 표어를 살아가는 착한 목자가 되기 위해 최선을 다하신다. 신자이든 비신자이든 구별하지 않고 사람들을 기꺼이 환대한다. 권위 의식이 없는 주교님은 타종교들과 조화를 이루며 각 차원에 따라 사람들과 친근한 관계를 잘 맺으신다.

더욱이 주교님은 로마 가톨릭교회와 온전히 하나 되어 있다. 프란치스코 교황님이 코로나19 백신 접종을 받지 못하는 가난한 나라들을 돕자고 초대했을 때, 주교님은 곧바로 교황님의 제안을 받아들여 관대하게 나누며 교회를 지지하기도 했다.  

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,