A piece of sunshine

<영어에세이>Saving the earth 지구살리기

Saving the earth 지구살리기

Just before I was transferred to another community in Wonju, I went with my second sister to "Hongbuk" Catholic Church in Naepo new town in the diocese of Daejeon. My sister accepted the proposal but passed to me the opportunity to talk to people in preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation.

In the beginning, I was hesitant because I thought talking in public was not my mission. During the feast of the Pentecost, however, I chose "fortitude" (courage) as the gift of the Spirit. All of a sudden, I felt a specific inner power to challenge myself. Why not try? I thought it was a good chance and a gift from God.

As a point of reference, I chose the topic of "how should I live in this moment," especially in the post-pandemic era. There have already been many suggestions and various countermeasures regarding "how to live after the pandemic."

Various "ecological transformations" are actually taking place in different areas of life, such as saving the planet's ecosystem, eco-friendly campaigns, water conservation, less airplane travel, reducing marine waste, not using plastic materials, recycling, avoiding overseas pilgrimages, attending Zoom meetings or online lectures, discuss convergence and consilience, using hydrogen cars, attending to the cries of Mother Earth and the destruction of the creative order, etc.

In summary, during the lecture, I suggested three main points that I myself put into practice every day.

First, reading the Bible, the Pope's messages and spiritual books.

Second, giving thanks all the time and everywhere, as recommended in the first letter to Thessalonians 5:16-18, "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances."

Third, faithfully doing our best in this moment as if it is the last moment. I quite agree with a saying: "Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

Pope Francis has already presented various documents on ecological transformations and turns in "Laudato Si'" (Praise Be to You, My Lord, 2015), "Nostra Madre Terra" (Our Mother Earth, 2019), "Querida Amazonia" (Beloved Amazon, 2020), and "Fratelli Tutti" (All Brothers, 2021).

Reading many spiritual books written in a concrete and persuasive way offers clear insight into the question, "how should I live in this era?" Reading books also helps us to respond actively to the signs of the times.

Especially in article 17 of "Gaudete et Exsultate" (Rejoice and Be Glad, 2018), Pope Francis says: "At times, life presents great challenges. Through them, the Lord calls us anew to a conversion that can make his grace more evident in our lives …. 'There are inspirations that tend solely to perfect in an extraordinary way the ordinary things we do in life.' When Cardinal Francois-Xavier Nguyen van Thuan was imprisoned, he refused to waste time waiting for the day he would be set free. Instead, he chose 'to live the present moment, filling it to the brim with love.' He decided: 'I will seize the occasions that present themselves every day; I will accomplish ordinary actions in an extraordinary way.'"

Surely, doing ordinary actions in an extraordinary way will save the Earth.

지구 살리기

원주 공동체로 옮기기 바로 직전, 나는 나의 둘째 언니 수녀님과 함께 대전 교구 내포 신도시에 있는 ‘홍북’ 성당에 갔다. 언니 수녀님은 견진성사를 준비하는 사람들에게 이야기해 달라는 제안을 받고 그 기회를 나에게 넘겨주었다.

사람들 앞에서 이야기하는 것은 내 소명이 아니라고 생각했기에 나는 처음에 망설였다. 그런데 성령강림 대축일에 나는 성령의 선물로 ‘굳셈’(용기)을 뽑았다. 불현듯 나는 나 자신에게 도전해 보자는 특별한 내적 힘을 느꼈다. 한번 해 보지 뭐. 이 강의가 좋은 기회이자 하느님의 선물이라는 생각이 들었다.

그 준거점으로 나는 특별히 범유행 이후 시대인 “지금, 이 순간 어떻게 살 것인가”라는 주제를 선택했다. 사실 “범유행 이후 어떻게 살 것인가”에 대한 많은 제안과 다양한 대안이 이미 나왔다.

지구 생태계 살리기, 친환경 운동, 물 아껴 쓰기, 비행기 여행 줄이기, 해양 쓰레기 줄이기, 플라스틱 물품 사용하지 않기, 재활용하기, 해외 순례 여행 자제하기, 줌 모임에 참여하고 온라인 강의 듣기, 융합과 통섭에 대해 토론하기, 수소 자동차 타기, 어머니인 지구의 신음과 창조 질서의 파괴 현상에 귀 기울이기 등 서로 다른 여러 삶의 영역에서 다양한 “생태적 전환”이 실제로 일어나고 있다.

요약해 말하자면, 강의 가운데 나는 나 자신이 날마다 실천하는 세 가지 주 요점을 제안했다.

첫째, 성경과 교황님 메시지를 읽고 영적 독서하기.

둘째, 테살로니카 신자들에게 보낸 첫째 서간 5장 16-18절에서 “언제나 기뻐하십시오. 끊임없이 기도하십시오. 모든 일에 감사하십시오” 하고 권고한 것처럼 언제 어디서나 감사하기.

셋째, 마치 지금이 마지막인 것처럼 충실하게 최선 다하기. “비록 내일 지구의 종말이 온다 해도 나는 오늘 한 그루의 사과나무를 심겠다”는 말에 나는 전적으로 동의한다.

프란치스코 교황은 이미 “찬미받으소서”(Laudato Si, 2015), “우리 어머니인 지구”(Nostra Madre Terra, 2019), “사랑하는 아마존”(Querida Amazonia, 2019), “모든 형제들"(Fratelli Tutti, 2021) 등 생태적 변화와 전환에 대한 여러 문헌을 발표했다.

구체적이고 설득력 있게 쓰인 여러 영성 서적을 읽다 보면 “나는 이 시대를 어떻게 살아야 할 것인가?"라는 물음에 대해 명확한 혜안을 얻는다. 책을 읽는 것은 또한 우리로 하여금 시대의 표징에 능동적으로 대처하게 한다.

특히 "기뻐하고 즐거워하여라”(Gaudete et Exsultate, 2018) 제17항에서 프란치스코 교황은 이렇게 말한다. “이따금 삶에는 매우 큰 도전들이 있습니다. 이러한 도전을 통하여 주님께서는 당신 은총이 우리 삶 안에서 더 분명히 드러날 수 있게 하는 새로운 회개로 우리를 초대하십니다…  ‘우리 생활의 통상적인 일들을 특별한 방식으로 완수하게 만드는 영감들이 있습니다.’ 프란치스코 하비에르 구엔 반 투안 추기경은 옥살이를 하면서도 풀려날 날만을 기다리며 시간을 허비하지 않았습니다. 그 대신, 그는 이렇게 다짐하였습니다. ‘현재의 모든 순간을 사랑으로 가득 채우면서 살리라.’ 또한 다음과 같이 결심하였습니다. ‘날마다 주어지는 기회들을 붙들리라. 일상의 행동들을 특별한 방식으로 수행하히라.’”

분명 일상적인 일들을 특별한 방식으로 할 때 우리는 지구를 살릴 것이다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,