A piece of sunshine

[김애란] 'Zero tolerance'

'Zero tolerance'  

"Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful" (Lk 6:36) is the key point of compassionate love. Being merciful means understanding, accepting, and loving others as they are; being generous and tolerant; forgiving others unconditionally without judging, criticizing, blaming or talking back.

To be merciful and compassionate is a demanding but worthwhile task to practice in our daily lives. How to forgive, how to forget past wrongdoings, how to be free from existing pain are an enduring homework to do again and again like regular exercises.

Pope Francis began his term with bowing his head down to receive the blessings of the people. And he proclaimed the extraordinary jubilee of mercy from Dec 8, 2015, to Nov 20, 2016, as a special period for remission of sins and universal pardon and mercy.

Opening the holy doors of the major basilicas in Rome and cathedrals and other major churches around the world, he encouraged us to ask for forgiveness and to forgive others without condition.

In this extraordinary year of mercy, I was also accepted to participate in the international charism course of the Pauline Family in Rome from September 2016 to May 2017, and that participation encouraged and inspired me in many ways. Much more vitality, creativity, solidarity and longing for common good came out of that experience.

Many issues in the church have been underlying deep in the heart of various projects. And due to the accusations of sexual abuse and harassment in clericalism around the world over 70 years, the Pope had to kneel down humbly and ask forgiveness for not being able to witness the truth in the society.

In fact, many minors and vulnerable adults have suffered due to sexual abuse, the abuse of power, authority and conscience. Pain still lingers in many victims.

In a letter addressed to the people of God on Aug. 20, 2018, the Pope, who once opened the holy doors as a sign of mercy, proclaimed "zero tolerance" to take responsibility for not being renovated from wrong behaviors.

Zero tolerance is the policy of applying laws or penalties to even minor errors so as to reinforce moral values and fundamental ethics. 

"Looking back to the past, no effort to beg pardon and to seek to repair the harm done will ever be sufficient. Looking ahead to the future, no effort must be spared to create a culture able to prevent such situations from happening, but also to prevent the possibility of their being covered up and perpetuated…"

I was so touched by his gestures of goodwill in solidarity as a spiritual Father of the whole church. Pope Francis takes the responsibility without blaming or accusing others.

On behalf of all those who made mistakes and errors, he sincerely apologizes and asks for forgiveness. Feeling shame, he kneels down humbly, saying "If one part suffers, every part suffers with it" (1Cor 12:26) and invites us to pray further, fast often, and make penance in solidarity with minors.

I also remember my struggles and wanderings during my adolescent age in high school. Conversion is a perpetual and constant process of making efforts to be transformed into another being.

Above all, it's high time to renovate every bit of life. Then, like a complete puzzle, each piece can compose the original image of God filled with the glad tidings of beatitudes.

The author is a member of the Daughters of St. Paul (Figlie di San Paolo) living and giving the Good News to the world by means of social communication. Learn more about the congregation at fsp.pauline.or.kr.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,