A piece of sunshine

<영어 에세이>Simplify, simplify…단순하게 살라

Simplify, simplify…단순하게 살라 

"Simplify, simplify, simplify!" 

This is one of my favorite sayings from "Walden: Life in the Woods" which was first published in 1854. 

Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862), a transcendentalist writer, philosopher, and naturalist, entered the forest to live a simple life in a spirit of self-reliance for about two years by a lake called Walden Pond, and the book titled "Walden" is a fruitful product of his experiences in nature.

H. D. Thoreau tried to simplify his lifestyle to the fullest, for example, by patching his clothes rather than buying new ones. He tried to minimize his consumer activities.

He expressed his sincere intention to head into the forest through the following words: "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life."

In the second chapter of "Walden" ("Where I lived, and what I lived for"), he says that we still "live meanly, like ants… Our life is frittered away by detail…. Simplify, simplify, simplify!"

More than ever, especially in this critical era of climate change due to global warming, a simple life is an urgent and desperate appeal to save the earth and humanity. How to recover nature is of great concern for all of us.

One of the countermeasures would be living a simple life, especially by being free from consumerism and waste.

Jang Wook-jin (1917-1990) used to say "I'm simple", and his simplicity is well illustrated in his childlike works of art. Many other sculptors, like Choi Jong-tae, are still pursuing simplicity. In their creative works of art, all the unnecessary parts are cut away and carved so that only the essentials remain.

Being a religious sister, I am happy to have a simple uniform. I try not to have extra things.

Having less without attaching or wasting much leads to simplicity. Living a simple and frugal life, it is a lot easier for us to move around. Living in a religious congregation with a common goal and mission, one of the good things is that I don't have to worry about what to buy or what to eat.

Steve Jobs mentioned "death" in his inspirational Stanford University commencement address in 2005. In his life, he always asked himself every morning: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?"

Perhaps those who would like to buy unnecessary or extra things shall have to ask themselves: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to buy what I am about to buy today?" This self-examination will surely lead to a simple life. "Simplify, simplify, simplify!"

단순하게 살라…

“단순화하라, 단순화하라, 단순화하라!”

이는 1854년에 처음 출간된 「월든: 숲 속의 삶」에 나오는 구절로 내가 좋아하는 명언 가운데 하나다.

헨리 데이비드 소로우(1817-1862)는 초월주의 작가, 철학자, 자연주의자로서 숲 속에 들어가 월든 연못이라 불리는 호숫가에서 2년 남짓 자립정신으로 단순한 삶을 살았다. 「월든」이라는 제목의 책은 그가 자연 속에 들어가 체험한 바를 나누는 풍요로운 결실이다.

H. D. 소로우는 자신의 생활방식을 최대한 간소하게 하려고 애썼다. 예를 들어, 새 옷을 사기보다 기워 입었다. 이처럼 그는 소비주의 활동을 최소화하려고 노력했다.

그는 자신이 숲을 향해 간 신실한 지향을 이렇게 표현했다. “내가 숲 속에 들어간 까닭은 신중한 삶을 살기 위해, 삶의 본질적 사실만을 직면하기 위해, 삶에서 꼭 알아야 할 일을 배울 수 있는지 살펴보기 위해, 그리고 죽음에 이르렀을 때 제대로 살지 못했음을 발견하지 않기 위한 것이었다. 삶이란 그처럼 소중한 것이기에 나는 삶이 아닌 것은 살고 싶지 않았고, 꼭 필요한 경우가 아니라면 체념하고 싶지도 않았다. 나는 깊이 있게 살면서 삶의 모든 정수를 빨아들이고 싶었다.”

「월든」 2장(“나는 어디서 살았으며 무엇을 위해 살았는가”)에서 그는 이렇게 말한다. “우리는 여전히 개미처럼 비열하게 산다… 우리 삶은 세부적인 것으로 흩어져버린다. 단순화하라, 단순화하라, 단순화하라!”

그 어느 때보다, 특히 지구 온난화로 기후 변화를 겪고 있는 이 심각한 시대에 단순한 삶은 지구와 인류를 구하려는 시급하고 절박한 호소다. 자연을 어떻게 회복할 것인가는 우리 모두의 큰 관심사다.

그 해결책 가운데 하나는, 특히 소비주의와 낭비에서 벗어나 단순한 삶을 살아가는 것이리라.

장욱진(1917-1999)은 “나는 단순하다”고 말하곤 했으며, 그의 단순함은 어린이 같은 작품 속에 잘 묘사되어 있다. 최종태와 같은 많은 조각가는 한결같이 단순함을 추구한다. 창의적인 그들의 예술 작품에서 그들은 불필요한 부분을 모두 잘라내고 조각하여 오로지 본질적인 것만 남는다.

수도자로서 나는 단순한 유니폼을 입고 있어 행복하다. 나는 여분의 것을 지니지 않으려고 한다.

많은 것에 애착하거나 낭비하지 않고 적은 것을 지니는 것은 단순함으로 이끈다. 단순하고 소박한 삶을 살아가면 주변으로 이동하는 것이 훨씬 쉽다. 공통된 목적과 사명을 지닌 수도회에서 살아가는 것의 좋은 점 가운데 하나는 무엇을 사야 할지, 또는 무엇을 먹어야 할지 걱정하지 않아도 되는 것이다.

스티브 잡스는 2005년 영감을 준 스탠퍼드 대학교 졸업식 연설에서 “죽음”에 대해 언급했다. 그는 삶 가운데 매일 아침, “오늘이 내 삶의 마지막 날이라면, 오늘 내가 하려던 일을 할 것인가?” 하는 물음을 자신에게 던졌다. 

어쩌면 불필요하거나 여분의 것을 사고 싶어 하는 이들 또한 자문해야 할 것이다. “오늘이 내 삶의 마지막 날이라면, 오늘 내가 사려던 것을 살 것인가?” 이러한 자아 성찰은 분명 단순한 삶으로 이끌 것이다. “단순화하라, 단순화하라, 단순화하라!”

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,