A piece of sunshine

<영어에세이>Community health 공동체의 건강

Community health 공동체의 건강

According to a COVID-19 response activities research study that came out on Nov. 30, 2020, volunteer work to overcome COVID-19 during the first period of the pandemic was carried out with the help of 246 volunteer centers nationwide.

A total of 760,000 volunteers participated in various fields, such as: disinfection, publicity campaigns, quarantine support, the distribution and production of goods, the making and distribution of masks, the local farm product consumption movement, food assistance to the underprivileged and fundraising.

In one instance, eleven doctors, 100 nurses, 32 nursing assistants, 40 administrative staff, and 32 clinical pathologists from Gwangju went to support Daegu voluntarily during the pandemic.

Every time we face a crisis in our society, people display their goodwill and do their best to contribute to the common good. Thanks to these volunteers, our society goes on despite many obstacles.

Living in our nunnery north of the Han River, visiting hospitals can be a financially demanding problem. With the help of merciful grace, however, we benefit from our greater community.

Thanks to the generous spirit of charity and donations, we have several local doctors supporting our congregation. Large-scale Catholic hospitals in other districts give us discounts, but some of the little clinics nearby also give us free medical care.

To name a few, Bright Saint Mary's Eye Clinic, Gangbuk Surgery Clinic, Saramin Dental Clinic and Gangbuk Yeonse Otorhinolaryngology are constantly providing us free medical care. Beyond religion, they give us healthcare without taking any payment. When we give them payment for medical care, they donate it back to us.

About a month ago, I had an eye examination, and our ophthalmologist advised me to go to a bigger clinic due to a serious condition in my left eye. Heeding his recommendation, I went to Apgujeong St. Mary's Eye Clinic for retinal detachment surgery.

I was going to come back to the congregation after surgery, but Doctor Jeong Stefano let me stay one night in the hospital room to ensure my recovery. The next day was Saturday, but he came to see me again, even though he was off-duty.

Looking back, my eyes were often tired. About a year ago, floaters appeared from time to time, but I didn't pay much attention to them.

Recently, I bumped into a bookshelf while trying to get up from my bed to go to the bathroom during the night. My head was bleeding a bit on the right side. I applied pressure to my head hard with my palm to stop any further bleeding, but I could barely sleep with a towel tightly wrapped around my head.

In the morning when I got up, I felt like curtains were drawn over my field of vision. There was something like a tint in the upper part of my left eye's field of vision. It was still the same the next day. So I went to a nearby eye clinic to have my eyes checked.

I learned that retinal detachment could lead to blindness if not immediately surgically treated. Thanks to the accident, I took a month-long rest to ensure my full recovery. It was truly a blessing in disguise! It is wonderful to be able to see the marvelous beauty of people and things around us.

공동체의 건강

2020년 11월 30일에 발표된 “코로나 19 대응 활동 연구조사”에 따르면, 첫 번째 범유행 단계 동안 코로나 19를 극복하기 위한 자원봉사 활동이 전국 246개 자원봉사 센터의 도움을 받아 진행되었다.

방역, 홍보 캠페인, 자가격리 지원, 물품의 유통과 생산, 마스크 제작과 배포, 지역 농산물 소비 운동, 소외 계층 식량 지원, 모금 등 다양한 분야에 총 76만 명에 이르는 자원봉사자들이 참여했다.

한 예로, 광주 출신의 의사 11명, 간호사 100명, 간호조무사 32명, 행정 직원 40명, 임상병리사 32명이 범유행 동안 자발적으로 대구를 지원하기 위해 갔다.

이처럼 우리 사회가 위기에 직면할 때마다 사람들은 공동선에 기여하기 위해 선의를 갖고 최선을 다한다. 이러한 자원봉사자들 덕분에 우리 사회는 많은 장애물 속에서도 앞으로 계속 나아간다.

한강 북쪽에 있는 수녀원에 살면서 병원을 방문하는 것은 재정적으로 어려운 문제가 될 수 있지만 우리는 자애로운 은총의 도움으로 더 큰 공동체의 혜택을 받는다.

관대한 자선과 기부 정신 덕분에 우리 수도회를 후원하는 몇몇 주치의들이 있다. 다른 지역에 있는 대규모 가톨릭 병원은 의료비를 할인해 주는데, 근처에 있는 몇몇 작은 의원들은 우리에게 무상 진료를 베푼다.

몇몇 예를 들면, 밝은 성모 안과, 강북 외과, 사람인 치과, 강북 연세 이비인후과의원은 한결같이 우리에게서 진료비를 받지 않는다. 종교를 뛰어넘은 그들은 그 어떤 진료비도 받지 않고 의료 서비스를 제공한다. 우리가 진료비를 내면 그들은 그 금액을 우리에게 다시 기부한다. 

약 한 달 전, 나는 눈 검사를 받았는데, 안과 주치의는 내 왼쪽 눈의 상태가 심각하니 더 큰 병원에 가라고 조언했다. 주치의의 권고에 따라 나는 압구정 성모 안과에 가서 망막 박리 수술을 받았다.

수술 후 수도회로 돌아오려고 했는데 정 스테파노 원장은 회복을 위해 병실에서 하룻밤 머물 수 있도록 배려해 주었다. 다음 날은 토요일이었는데, 그는 비번인데도 나를 진료하러 방문했다.

되돌아보면 내 눈은 자주 피곤했다. 약 1년 전, 하루살이 같은 것이 떠다니는 비문증이 이따금 나타났지만 그다지 마음 쓰지 않았다.

최근 나는 밤중에 침대에서 일어나 화장실에 가려다 책장에 부딪혀 넘어졌고 오른쪽 머리에서 피가 좀 났다. 나는 지혈하려고 손바닥을 머리에 대고 지압한 다음 수건으로 머리를 단단히 감싸고 가까스로 잠이 들었다.

아침에 일어났을 때 내 시야에 커튼 같은 것이 드리운 느낌이 들었다. 왼쪽 눈 윗부분이 마치 선팅 된 것 같았다. 다음날도 똑같았다. 그래서 나는 가까운 안과에 가서 눈 검사를 받았다.

나는 망막 박리가 수술을 곧바로 받지 않으면 실명으로 이어질 수 있다는 것을 배웠다. 사고 탓에 나는 완전한 회복을 위해 한 달 동안 휴식을 취했다. 참으로 전화위복이었다! 우리 주변에 있는 사람들과 사물의 경이로운 아름다움을 볼 수 있다는 것은 참으로 놀랍기만 하다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,