A piece of sunshine

<영어에세이> Memento mori 메멘토 모리

‘Memento mori’

Once a month, together with the rest of my community, I make a monthly retreat for a day, and at the end of the retreat, we pray together ”the prayer for a happy death” entrusting everything to the providence of God.

Our long prayer for a happy death begins with calling, “Lord, creator and savior”. Then, we confess that we “accept death with the heart of honoring it according to your will”.

This prayer ends with the repeated invocations: “Jesus Master, I trust in you. Jesus Master, I hope in you. Jesus Master, I love you. Jesus Master, I ask your mercy. Jesus, Mary, Joseph, I give you my heart and soul. Jesus, Mary, Joseph, take care of me on my deathbed. Jesus, Mary, Joseph, may my soul die in you in peace.”

The simplest prayer for a happy death is as follows: “Lord, who was resurrected after overcoming death, grant me the grace to have a happy death so that even at the moment of death, I can think of eternal heavenly happiness, miss you, and willingly accept death. Amen.”

Another prayer to Saint Joseph for a happy death is as follows: “O Blessed Joseph, you gave your last breath in the loving embrace of Jesus and Mary. When the seal of death shall close my life, come with Jesus and Mary to aid me. Obtain for me this solace for that hour ― to die with their holy arms around me. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, I commend my soul, living and dying, into your sacred arms. Amen.”

Especially because of the pandemic, death has come much closer to us than before. We don’t know what will happen in the next moment. We just live from moment to moment every day.

In Korea, graves are placed in mountainous areas in general, but in western cultures, graves are located in the midst of people in the village. Death is just an ordinary part of daily life.

“Memento mori” in Latin means “Remember death”. “Remember that you will die!” “Remember that you must die!”

According to the custom of Etruria, an ancient region of Italy, a Roman general would ride in a chariot in a march throughout the city after winning a famous battle. By his side in the chariot rode a slave, who kept saying to him “Memento mori” during the triumphal parade.

Saying “Memento mori” was a call not to be proud of the victory. It reminded the general that he too would also die someday even though he won the victory. “Memento mori” advised him to be humble.

Navajo Indians also say: “The world was joyful even though you cried when you were born into the world. In the end, you will be joyful even though the world will cry over your death.” Thus, in our life, joy and tears are like both sides of a coin.

The artistic genre of “Vanitas” (vanity) is a kind of art illustrating decay ― a skull, coffin, rotten fruit, foam, smoke, clock, hourglasses, wilting flowers, or musical instruments. Through this style, the artists in the Netherlands and Flanders of the 16th and 17th centuries revealed the vanity, mortality, fleetingness, and impermanence of human life as well as the necessity of death.

Our Founder, Blessed James Alberione also placed a skull always on his desk. “Memento mori” leads us to a meaningful life. 

‘메멘토 모리’

한 달에 한 번, 나는 공동체와 함께 하루 동안 월피정을 한다. 피정을 마무리하면서 우리는 모든 것을 하느님의 섭리에 내어 맡기며 “선종(행복한 죽음)을 위한 기도”를 함께 바친다.

선종을 위한 긴 기도문은 “창조주시요 구세주이신 주님”을 부르는 것으로 시작되며, 이어서 우리는 “당신의 뜻에 따라 죽음을 경배하는 마음으로 받아들입니다” 하고 고백한다.

선종을 위한 기도는 다음과 같이 거듭 반복되는 호칭기도로 마무리된다. “스승 예수님, 저는 당신을 믿나이다. 스승 예수님, 저는 당신께 희망을 두나이다. 스승 예수님, 저는 당신을 사랑하나이다. 스승 예수님, 저는 당신의 자비를 구하나이다. 예수, 마리아, 요셉님, 제 마음과 영혼을 드리나이다. 예수, 마리아, 요셉님, 임종 때에 저를 돌보아 주소서. 예수, 마리아, 요셉님, 제 영혼이 당신들 안에서 평안히 숨을 거두게 하소서. 아멘.”

선종을 위한 가장 단순한 기도는 다음과 같다. “죽음을 이기고 부활하신 주님, 저에게 선종하는 은혜를 주시어 죽음을 맞는 순간에도 영원한 천상 행복을 생각하고 주님을 그리워하며 기꺼이 죽음을 받아들이게 하소서. 아멘.”

선종을 위해 성 요셉께 바치는 또 다른 기도는 다음과 같다. “복되신 요셉님, 당신은 예수님과 마리아의 사랑스러운 품에 안겨 마지막 숨을 거두셨습니다. 죽음의 인장이 제 삶을 봉인할 때, 예수님과 성모 마리아와 함께 오시어 저를 도우소서. 임종 때에 예수님과 마리아의 거룩한 팔에 안겨 숨을 거두며 위로를 받게 하소서. 예수, 마리아, 요셉님, 제가 살아 있든 죽어가든 제 영혼을 당신의 거룩한 팔에 맡겨 드립니다. 아멘.“

특히 팬데믹으로 인해 죽음은 예전보다 훨씬 가까이 우리에게 다가왔다. 우리는 다음 순간에 무슨 일이 일어날지 모른다. 날마다 순간순간만을 살고 있을 뿐이다.

한국에는 대개 무덤이 산간 지대에 있지만 서구 문화에서는 마을 사람들 한가운데에 있다. 죽음은 다만 평범한 일상의 한 부분일 따름이다. 

‘메멘토 모리(Memento mori)’는 라틴어로 “죽음을 기억하라”는 뜻이다. “네가 죽을 것을 기억하라!” “너는 반드시 죽는다는 것을 기억하라!”

이탈리아 고대 지역인 에트루리아의 풍습에 따르면, 전투에서 승리를 거두고 개선하는 로마 장군은 병거를 타고 시가행진을 했다. 그 장군 옆에 노예가 함께 타고 있었는데, 그 노예는 개선 행렬 동안 계속해서 “메멘토 모리” 하고 외쳤다.

“메멘토 모리”라고 말하는 것은 승리를 자랑스러워하지 말라는 호소였다. 이는 장군이 비록 승리를 거두었을지라도 언젠가는 그 또한 죽으리라는 것을 떠올린다. “메멘토 모리”는 겸손하라는 조언이다.

나바호 인디언들 또한 “네가 세상에 태어났을 때 너는 울었지만 세상은 기뻐하였다. 마침내 네가 죽어 세상이 슬퍼할지라도 너는 기뻐할 것”이라고 말한다.” 이처럼 우리 삶에 깃든 기쁨과 슬픔은 동전의 양면과 같다.

“바니타스(헛되다)” 화풍은 해골, 관, 썩은 과일, 거품, 연기, 시계, 모래시계, 시든 꽃이나 악기처럼 소멸해 가는 모습을 묘사하는 예술 장르다. 이 화풍을 통해 16세기와 17세기의 네덜란드와 플랑드르 예술가들은 필연적인 죽음은 물론 인간 삶의 헛됨, 죽을 수밖에 없는 운명, 덧없음과 무상함을 드러냈다.

우리 수도회의 창립자이신 복자 야고보 알베리오네 또한 언제나 자신의 책상 위에 해골을 놓아두었다. “메멘토 모리”는 우리를 의미 있는 삶으로 이끈다. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,