A piece of sunshine

‘Small good things’ ‘스몰 굿 씽스’

‘Small good things’   ‘스몰 굿 씽스’

“Small is beautiful” is a well-known catchphrase because of a book titled “Small Is Beautiful: A Study of Economics As If People Mattered” by Ernst Friedrich Schumacher (1911-1977). “Small is beautiful” is especially appealing in this era of ecological awareness.

When I first read “Walden”, 38 years ago, the life in the forest described by Henry David Thoreau (1817-1962) sounded idealistic and fantastic. However, in spite of my longing for such an idyllic life, I couldn’t live alone in the forest because of the reality I faced. I was satisfied with just hiking in the mountains from time to time.

When I was transferred to a little community consisting of four Pauline sisters in Wonju a month ago, my little dream of living in the forest came true in some way.

Whenever it is my turn to go to the “Pauline” bookshop founded in 1991 at Wonju Catholic Center, I am willing to walk through a small pass with tall trees. From my apartment to the bookshop, it takes about 40 minutes on foot.

When it is my turn to stay at home to do household chores, I enjoy taking a walk at a nearby mountain after lunch for about one or two hours. Mount Chiak is just around the corner and I am looking forward to spending my holiday there some time.

Looking around, I realize that 70 percent of the country is really mountainous. I am blessed with various mountain trails.

Walking around these days, I often see earthworms that make the earth soft and fertile. They live underground, but in the rainy season, many of them come out to breathe because their natural habitat is flooded. They come out to survive, but ironically they face death while crawling slowly on pathways.

One day, strolling around nearby villages, a little book cafe named “Small Good Things” caught my attention. With ivy growing on the front wall, the hidden book cafe beckoned me to enter.

A big dog with pale brown fur approached and accompanied me while I browsed through the bookshelves.

The bookshelves that look like ladders appeared so cute and welcoming. Several empty seats and tables were waiting for readers. The most interesting thing for me was the display of various books by H. D. Thoreau, as well as some books on gardening and the use of wild grass. I also noticed a book titled “A Universe in a Seed” by Jang Il-soon (1928-1994), an educator and environmental activist who developed a campaign for life through “Hansallim”.

There is no signboard outside. Only when I come close to it can I see its logo just near the front gate. It is so small that it hardly attracts people.

The philosophy of “small is beautiful” is realized through diverse independent book cafes in Wonju, such as Koinonia, Bookbbangso, Aesthetics of Slow, Traveler’s House Thoreau, Afternoon Action, Nangmanseom, and Bookcafe Teum.

Truly, small is beautiful and meaningful. Jesus also invites us to “become as little children” and to serve others humbly and simply.

‘스몰 굿 씽스’

“작은 것이 아름답다”는 것은 에른스트 프리드리히 슈마허(1911-1977)가 쓴 「작은 것이 아름답다. 인간 중심의 경제를 위하여」라는 책으로 널리 알려진 표현으로, 참으로 “작은 것이 아름답다”는 생태적 인식의 시대에 각별한 호소를 한다.

38년 전 「월든」을 처음 읽었을 때, 헨리 데이비드 소로(1817-1962)가 묘사한 숲속의 삶이 참으로 이상적이고 아름답게 여겨졌다. 나는 그처럼 소박한 삶을 갈망했지만 내 앞에 놓인 현실로 인해 숲속에서 홀로 살 수 없었고, 이따금 산길을 오르내리는 것만으로 흡족해했다.

한 달 전, 네 명의 바오로딸 수녀로 구성된 작은 공동체에 파견되었을 때 숲에서 살고자 했던 나의 작은 꿈이 어떤 면에서 이루어졌다.

1991년, 원주 가톨릭 센터에 진출한 ‘바오로딸’ 서원에 나갈 차례가 되면 나는 크나큰 나무들이 우거진 오솔길을 기꺼이 걸어간다. 내가 사는 아파트에서 서원까지는 걸어서 40분 정도 걸린다.

집에 머물러 집안일을 할 차례가 되면 점심 후 한두 시간 정도 가까운 산길을 즐겨 걷는다. 치악산이 가까운 거리에 있어 휴일이 되면 등산할 수 있기를 바란다.

주변을 둘러보면 국토의 70퍼센트가 산간지대라는 것이 실감 난다. 여러 갈래의 등산로가 있어 무척 행복하다.

요즘 거닐다 보면 땅을 부드럽고 비옥하게 만드는 지렁이를 자주 본다. 지렁이들은 땅속에 살지만 장마철에는 많은 지렁이가 숨을 쉬러 밖으로 기어 나온다. 지렁이들이 머무는 땅속의 집이 물에 잠겼기 때문이다. 지렁이들은 살아남기 위해 밖으로 나오지만, 아이러니하게도 천천히 기어 다니다 말라 죽는다.

어느 날, 마을 근처를 거닐다 “스몰 굿 씽스”(작지만 좋은 것들)라는 이름의 작은 북카페가 내 눈을 끌었다. 대문 옆 담벼락에 담쟁이덩굴이 덮인, 언뜻 보면 눈에 잘 띄지 않는 북카페가 나에게 어서 들어오라고 손짓했다.

내가 서가를 둘러보는 동안 연갈색 털로 뒤덮인 커다란 개가 어슬렁거리며 함께했다.

사다리처럼 생긴 서가들이 무척 예쁘고 친근하게 다가왔다. 몇몇 빈자리와 테이블이 독자들을 기다리고 있었다. 나에게 가장 흥미로운 것은 헨리 데이비드 소로의 여러 책은 물론 정원 가꾸기와 들에 핀 풀들의 쓰임새에 관련된 책들이었다. ‘한살림’을 통해 생명 운동을 펼친 교육자이자 환경운동가였던 장일순(1928~1994)의 「나락 한 알 속의 우주」라는 책도 눈에 띄었다.

길가에는 이 동네 책방의 간판이 걸려 있지 않다. 그 집 가까이 가서야 대문 옆에 걸린 로고가 보이는데, 너무 작아 사람들의 눈길을 거의 끌지 않는다.

코이노니아, 책빵소, 느림의 미학, 여행자의 집 소로, 오후대책, 낭만섬, 북카페 틔움 등 원주에 있는 다양한 독립출판물 북카페를 통해 “작은 것이 아름답다”는 철학이 실현된다.

참으로 작은 것이 아름답고 의미 있다. 예수님 또한 “어린아이처럼 되라”고, 겸손하고 단순하게 사람들을 위해 봉사하라고 우리를 초대하신다.   

-  The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ August 8 (online), 9 (offline), 2021 - 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,