A piece of sunshine

‘A Single Bead’ 묵주알 하나

‘A Single Bead’  

According to the Catholic liturgical calendar, October is the month of the Holy Rosary. The Scripture-based prayer cycle summarizes the joyful, sorrowful, glorious and luminous mysteries of the Catholic faith.

The Rosary, a Catholic prayer cycle, is practiced with beads that many people also make use for necklaces or bracelets. Buddhist beads are similar in some ways to the rosary beads.

Parents and grandparents are eager to pray the Rosary for their children and for those who need special prayers. Like my mother who prayed the Rosary passionately all her life, faithful Catholics are constantly and sincerely praying the Rosary.

“A Single Bead” written by Stephanie Engelman in 2016 is a touching story of faith awakened by the Rosary. The Korean version has been published this year with the title, “In Search of the Rosary Beads.”

Stephanie Engelman spent most of her teen years devouring one novel after another. She enjoyed reading until the wee hours of the morning. She even enjoyed reading while she blow-dried her hair or ate her breakfast. Such a passionate love for reading was transformed into a passion for writing, and “A Single Bead” is a fruitful result of her passion.

She studied psychology, and now she has five children. “A Single Bead” is the first book that she wrote to share the grace she received with love and faith for God and the church.

In the story with a well-constructed plot, a plane crash that took the life of 16-year-old Kate’s beloved grandmother and threw her own mother into deep depression leads Kate to discover a single bead that bears her initials (K.M.R.: Katelyn Marie Roberts) from her grandmother’s rosary beads that were lost in the accident.

Her grandfather specially made her grandmother’s silver rosary beads bearing the initials of each family member’s name.

Kate searches for more beads. On her journey in search of the remaining rosary beads, she is drawn into other people’s lives and encounters a series of inexplicable and miraculous stories. This journey leads her into a world of hope where the miraculous power of the Rosary is realized.

“I keep walking toward the trees, and it’s almost like I'm being drawn by some kind of invisible force. Stooping down to push the flowers aside, I discover a small, silver bead, and my heart flutters. I have to hold it, touch it ― feel the ridges of the letters imprinted on three sides, and run my nail along with the cross on the fourth… Everything I am zones into that tiny, little bead… It’s just a little fragment of a piece of jewelry, right? But it’s not. It’s a bead from grandma’s rosary. And not just any bead. My bead… This rosary bead has a special power that is not like the power of witchcraft or science fiction. The power of a single bead completely comes from prayer. Prayer has a marvelous ability which is the ability of God who listens to our prayers, heals, and loves us.”

“A Single Bead” is a beautiful testament to the power of prayer and a touching story of the love and reconciliation in the family, the value of faith and the marvelous power of prayer. 

- The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ October 17 (online), 18 (offline), 2021-

묵주알 하나

가톨릭 전례력에 따르면 10월은 묵주기도 성월이다. 성경 말씀을 바탕으로 한 묵주기도는 가톨릭 신앙이 담긴 기쁨의 신비, 고통의 신비, 영광의 신비, 빛의 신비를 요약해 준다.  가톨릭 신자들이 기도할 때 사용하는 묵주는 많은 사람 또한 목걸이나 팔찌로 사용하는 구슬로 이루어진다. 불교의 염주도 어떤 면에서 묵주알과 비슷하다.

부모와 할머니 할아버지들은 자녀들과 특별한 기도가 필요한 사람들을 위해 묵주기도를 열심히 바치신다. 한평생 열정을 다해 묵주기도를 바치신 나의 어머니처럼 충실한 신자들은 끊임없이 정성껏 묵주기도를 바친다.

2016년 스테파니 엥글먼(Stephanie Engelman)이 쓴 “A Single Bead”(묵주알 하나)는 묵주기도가 일깨우는 감동적인 신앙 이야기다. 한국어판은 올해 “묵주알을 찾아서”라는 제목으로 출간되었다.

스테파니 엥글먼은 십대 시절 대부분을 소설을 탐독하며 보냈다. 새벽녘까지 책을 즐겨 읽었고, 머리를 말리거나 아침 식사를 하면서까지 독서하는 것을 좋아했다. 이처럼 책 읽기에 대한 열정적인 사랑은 글쓰기에 대한 열정으로 바뀌었다. “묵주알 하나”는 이러한 열정이 맺은 풍성한 열매다.

스테파니 엥글먼은 심리학을 공부했으며, 지금은 다섯 아이의 엄마다. “묵주알 하나”는 하느님과 교회에 대한 사랑과 믿음으로 자신이 받은 은총을 나누기 위해 쓴 첫 소설이다.

구성이 탄탄한 이 이야기에서 16살 난 케이트가 사랑하는 할머니의 목숨을 앗아갔으며 어머니를 깊은 우울증에 빠지게 한 비행기 추락 사고는 케이트로 하여금 잃어버린 할머니의 묵주 가운데 자기 이름의 이니셜((K.M.R.: Katelyn Marie Roberts)이 새겨진 묵주알 하나를 발견하도록 이끈다.

할아버지는 가족 이름의 이니셜을 새긴 은 묵주를 할머니를 위해 특별히 만들어 주셨다.

케이트는 더 많은 묵주알을 찾아 나선다. 케이트는 나머지 묵주알을 찾아 여행을 떠나는 가운데 다른 사람들의 삶 속으로 빨려 들어가 이루 형언할 수 없는 기적 같은 이야기들을 만난다. 그 여정은 케이트를 기적적인 묵주기도의 힘이 실현되는 희망의 세계로 이끈다.

“숲을 향해 계속 걸어가는데 마치 보이지 않는 어떤 힘에 이끌리는 것 같다. 몸을 굽혀 꽃을 옆으로 밀어내니 자그마한 은 구슬이 보인다. 마음이 설레기 시작한다. 그 구슬을 손에 들고 만져봐야 한다. 구슬의 세 면에 새겨진 글자의 능선을 느끼며 넷째 면에 새겨진 십자가를 어루만져야 한다... 내가 존재하는 모든 것은 그 작디 작은 묵주알 속으로 빨려 들어간다... 그 묵주알은 다만 보석의 일부일까? 아니다. 그것은 할머니가 쓰시던 묵주다. 평범한 그 어떤 묵주알이 아니라 내 묵주알이다... 이 묵주알에는 특별한 힘이 있다. 하지만 그것은 요술이나 공상과학소설 같은 것이 아니다. 한 알 한 알의 힘은 온전히 기도에서 나온다. 그리고 기도는 놀라운 능력이 있다. 우리의 기도를 들어주시고 치유해 주시고 사랑하시는 하느님의 능력!”

“묵주알 하나”(묵주알을 찾아서)는 기도의 힘에 대한 아름다운 증언이자 가족 간의 사랑과 화해, 믿음의 가치, 놀라운 기도의 힘을 다룬 감동적인 이야기다. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,