A piece of sunshine

Laongjeong in Wonju 원주 라옹정

Laongjeong in Wonju

“To be, or not to be.” That was the question for Hamlet. “To have, or not to have,” would be the question for contemporary people. I think being and having are two existential conditions for every human being.

Nobody would deny that being is much more important than having, but the competitive reality gives more priority to what we have. The more we have, the more we want to have something good and convenient. Perhaps this belief is part of the instinctive and egoistic logic of capitalism.

When I first committed to my life as a religious sister, I made three vows: obedience, chastity and poverty. Living with the spiritual attitudes of obedience, chastity and poverty is far from the logic of having more and more. Keeping these three vows leads religious people to be simple, frugal and free from every kind of possession.

Non-possession is a spiritual virtue of all of the religious people not only in Catholicism but also in Buddhism. By the end of the year, some religious congregations make their total finances zero and begin again with nothing in the New Year.

Nevertheless, I am still not free from the many things I have. I try to possess the most necessary things only, but I still have some unnecessary things.

One day, while I was taking a walk, I passed by the Laongjeong near Koinonia Book Cafe, a small and medium-sized neighborhood bookshop in front of Dangwan Elementary School in Wonju.

The Laongjeong monument was set up on top of the little Laongjeong hill in the village. Laongjeong monument was built in memory of the transfer of 60 households that had to move to other villages due to the development of the Gwanseoldong area in 1994.

Those who had to move had raised the funds to build the Laongjeong monument, so as not to forget the precious memory of their hometown.

It is said that the Wonju stream flowed in front of a small rocky hill at the entrance of the neighboring village. There was a pavilion on the hill, where high priest (Master) Laong from the Goryeo Kingdom used to fish. Laong liked to fish, but every time he caught a fish, he let it go. And yet he continued to fish. So, that place was later called “Laongjeong” (the pavilion of Laong) after Master Laong.

The nearby street was also named Laongjeong-gil. The legend of Laong caught my eye and stopped me in my tracks. Later on, I often imagine the high priest who returned freedom to fish after catching them. His behavior made me ponder the spiritual beauty of being free and living simply.

In this high-tech era filled with speed, competition and efficiency, who will give in first and let others live better? Those who pursue a spiritual vocation are willing to give in, share and let others live as fully as possible.

A rich young man once asked Jesus: “What good must I do to gain eternal life?” Jesus replied to him to keep the commandments first and to share with others.

“If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” (Matthew 19:21)

The author is a member of the Daughters of St. Paul (fsp.pauline.or.kr.) living and giving the Good News to the world by means of social communication.  

원주 라옹정

“사느냐 죽느냐”는 햄릿이 던진 물음이었다. “소유냐 무소유냐”는 현대인들의 물음일 것이다. 존재와 소유는 모든 인간이 지닌 두 가지 실존적 조건이라고 생각한다.

존재가 소유보다 훨씬 중요함을 부인할 사람은 없겠지만 경쟁적 현실은 우리의 소유를 더 우선적으로 여긴다. 우리는 더 많이 가질수록 무언가 더 좋고 편리한 것을 갖고 싶어한다. 어쩌면 이러한 신념은 본능적이고 이기적인 자본주의의 논리일 것이다.

수도자로서 살아가고자 첫 서원을 했을 때 나는 순명, 정결, 청빈을 지키겠다는 세 가지 약속을 했다. 순명, 정결, 정빈과 같은 영적 태도를 지니고 사는 것은 더 많이 소유하는 논리와는 거리가 멀다. 세 가지 서원을 지킴으로써 수도자들은 단순하고 검소하며 모든 소유에서 자유로워진다.

무소유는 가톨릭은 물론 불교를 믿는 모든 종교인의 영적 미덕이다. 연말이 되면 일부 수도회는 재정 총액을 0으로 만들고 새해에 아무것도 없이 다시 시작한다.

그럼에도 나는 여전히 내가 가진 많은 것에서 자유롭지 못하다. 가장 필요한 것만 가지려고 노력하지만 여전히 불필요한 것들이 있다.

어느 날, 산책하던 중 원주 단관초등학교 앞에 있는 작은 동네 책방인 코이노니아 북카페 근처에 자리한 라옹정을 지나가게 되었다.

라옹정 기념비는 마을의 작은 라옹정 동산에 자리하고 있다. 이는 1994년, 관설동 택지개발로 인해 다른 마을로 이사가야 했던 60가구의 이주를 기리기 위해 세워졌다.  

고향을 떠나야 했던 사람들은 고향에 대한 소중한 추억을 잊지 않기 위해 라옹정 기념비를 세우고자 기금을 마련했다.

한때는 동네 입구의 조그마한 바위동산 앞에 원주천이 흘렀다고 한다. 그 동산에 정자가 있었는데, 고려시대 고승 라옹 대사가 그 정자에서 낚시질을 하곤 했다. 라옹은 낚시를 좋아했지만 물고기를 잡을 때마다 다시 물에 놓아주었다. 그런데도 그는 낚시질을 계속했다. 그래서 나중에 이곳을 라옹 대사의 이름을 따라 “라옹정”(라옹의 정자)이라고 부르게 되었다.

가까이 있는 거리 이름도 라옹정길이라고 불린다. 라옹 전설이 눈길을 끌어 나는 가던 길을 멈추어 섰다. 그 후 나는 물고기를 잡은 다음 다시 자유를 되찾아주는 대사의 모습을 종종 그려본다. 그의 행동은 나로 하여금 자유롭고 단순하게 살아가는 영적 아름다움을 음미하게 한다.

속도와 경쟁, 효율성으로 가득한 첨단 기술 시대에 누가 먼저 양보하여 다른 사람들이 더 잘 살아가게 할 것인가? 영적 소명을 추구하는 사람들은 기꺼이 포기하고 나누며 다른 이들이 가능한 한 충만하게 살도록 한다.

한 부자 청년이 예수님에게 물었다. “제가 영원한 생명을 얻으려면 무슨 선한 일을 해야 합니까?” 예수님은 그에게 먼저 계명들을 지키고 다른 사람들과 더불어 나누라고 말씀하셨다.

“네가 완전한 사람이 되려거든, 가서 너의 재산을 팔아 가난한 이들에게 주어라. 그러면 네가 하늘에서 보물을 차지하게 될 것이다. 그리고 와서 나를 따라라.”(마태 19,21) 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,