A piece of sunshine

Haemi Martyrdom Holy Ground 해미순교성지

Haemi Martyrdom Holy Ground 해미순교성지

In memory of the martyrs who were willing to choose death, Catholics are used to making a pilgrimage in autumn.

Recently in the lofty season when chestnuts fall like stars, I had a gracious renewal meeting for 17 days at the Queen of the Apostles’ Retreat House in Yeoju, Gyeonggi Province. In celebration of the silver anniversary, our group, which consists of nine fellow sisters, visited several martyrdom holy places in the Naepo area in South Chungcheong Province.

One of them is the Haemi Martyrdom Holy Ground in Seosan. This holy place is the site where about 1,000 Catholics were buried alive at the time of the Byeongin persecution from 1866 to 1873.

During the Byeongin persecution, Catholics were executed outside the West Gate of Haemieupseong Fortress. The martyrs were buried alive in a huge pit all at once.

Proclaimed as an official international pilgrimage site by the Vatican on March 1, 2021, the Haemi Martyrdom Holy Ground has become the second official international pilgrimage site in Korea after the Seoul Catholic Pilgrimage Routes. Other official international pilgrimage sites include Jerusalem of Israel, Rome of Italy, Santiago of Spain, and 20 sites of Marian apparitions.

A 16-meter-high memorial tower was set up near Haemi Stream to pay tribute to the nameless martyrs who were buried alive.

Built in the 15th century to defend against Japanese invasion, Haemieupseong Fortress became a representative fortress in the Joseon period.

During the persecution, many Catholics from South Chungcheong Province were forced to come to Haemieupseong Fortress, where the administration office was located. They were chained up, tortured to death while hanging from the pagoda tree (Hoehwanamu), tortured with cold water or thrashed on a large flat stone.

Saint Paul the Apostle once described the suffering that he had to endure: “I am still more, with far greater labors, far more imprisonments, far worse beatings, and numerous brushes with death. Five times at the hands of the Jews I received 40 lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I passed a night and a day on the deep; on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers…; in toil and hardship, through many sleepless nights, through hunger and thirst, through frequent fasting, through cold and exposure.” (2 Corinthians 11:23-27)

In the footsteps of Saint Paul, faithful people put faith into practice and endured all the painful tortures only to be united with Jesus dying on the cross.

While walking around the fortress, the recent pitiful situation came into my mind. Several months ago, one priest whom I know has become brain dead due to overwork and exhaustion. He was once a beloved young priest with a promising future. How can we explain the cause of such a miserable accident? Nobody would expect such a painful accident to happen to a person who is so handsome, pure, generous, and faithful. We really don’t know anything about the future; we just live this moment here and now.

Around the world, such inexplicable suffering often happens without notice, and it joins the painful procession of numerous martyrs.

Nevertheless, time flies like an arrow. Time just passes away. And our lives go on without end. “The sun rises and the sun sets; then it presses on to the place where it rises.” (Ecclesiastes 1:5).

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ Oct. 5 (0nline), 6 (offline), 2022-

해미순교성지

기꺼이 죽음을 택한 순교자들을 기리는 가톨릭 신자들은 가을이면 성지순례를 떠나곤 한다.

최근 나는 밤이 별처럼 떨어지는 드높은 계절에 경기도 여주에 있는 사도의 모후 피정의 집에서 17일 동안 은혜로운 쇄신 모임을 가졌다. 은경축을 맞은 아홉 명의 동기 수녀들로 구성된 우리 일행은 충남 내포 지역에 있는 몇몇 순교 성지를 방문했다.

그 가운데 한 곳은 서산 해미순교성지다. 이 성지는 1866년부터 1873년까지 지속된 병인박해 당시 1,000여 명의 가톨릭 신자들이 산 채로 묻힌 곳이다.

병인박해 동안 가톨릭 신자들은 해미읍성 서문 밖에서 처형되었다. 순교자들은 한꺼번에 커다란 구덩이에 생매장되었다.

2021년 3월 1일 바티칸이 국제성지로 선포한 해미순교성지는 서울대교구 순례길에 이어 한국의 두 번째 국제성지가 되었다. 또 다른 국제성지는 이스라엘의 예루살렘, 이탈리아 로마, 스페인 산티아고, 그리고 20곳의 성모님 발현지다.

해미천 가까이에서 생매장된 이름 모를 순교자들을 추모하기 위해 높이 16미터의 추모탑이 세워져 있다.

해미읍성은 일본의 침략을 막으려고 15세기에 축조된 조선시대의 대표적인 성이다.

박해 기간 동안 충남 지역의 많은 가톨릭 신자들이 관청이 자리한 해미읍성에 끌려와 철사줄에 묶였고, 회화나무에 매달린 채 고문을 당했으며, 얼음물로 고문을 받거나 커다란 자리개 돌에 때려 맞아 죽었다.

성 바오로 사도는 자신이 견뎌야 했던 고통을 이렇게 묘사했다. “나는 더욱 그렇습니다. 나는 수고도 더 많이 하였고 옥살이도 더 많이 하였으며, 매질도 더 지독하게 당하였고 죽을 고비도 자주 넘겼습니다. 마흔에서 하나를 뺀 매를 유다인들에게 다섯 차례나 맞았습니다. 그리고 채찍으로 맞은 것이 세 번, 돌질을 당한 것이 한 번, 파선을 당한 것이 세 번입니다. 밤낮 하루를 꼬박 깊은 바다에서 떠다니기도 하였습니다. 자주 여행하는 동안에 늘 강물의… 위험이 뒤따랐습니다. 수고와 고생, 잦은 밤샘, 굶주림과 목마름, 잦은 결식, 추위와 헐벗음에 시달렸습니다.”(2코린 11,23-27)

충실한 사람들은 성 바오로의 발자취를 따라 오로지 십자가에 달려 돌아가신 예수님과 하나 되기 위해 믿음을 실천하며 온갖 고통스러운 고문을 견디어 냈다.

읍성을 따라 거니는 동안 최근에 일어난 안타까운 상황이 떠올랐다. 몇 달 전, 내가 아는 한 신부님이 과로와 피로로 뇌사 상태가 되었다. 참으로 그는 장래가 유망한 사랑스러운 젊은 사제였다. 이처럼 참혹한 사고의 원인을 어떻게 설명할 수 있을까? 그 누구도 그토록 멋지고 순수하고 관대하며 충실한 사람에게 무척 고통스러운 사고가 일어나리라고 예상하지 못했다. 참으로 우리는 앞날에 대해 아무것도 모른다. 우리는 다만 지금 이 순간을 살아갈 뿐이다.

이처럼 형언할 수 없는 고통이 세상 곳곳에서 예기치 않게 자주 일어난다. 그 아픔은 수많은 순교자들의 고통스러운 행렬에 동참한다.

그럼에도 시간은 화살처럼 스쳐 지나간다. 시간은 그저 흘러갈 뿐이며 우리 삶은 한없이 이어진다. “떴다 지는 해는 다시 떴던 곳으로 숨가삐 간다.”(전도서 1,5)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,