A piece of sunshine

Blind spots 사각지대

Blind spots

When I was sent to the mission team in 2010, I felt the need for dynamic mobility to reach destinations promptly and freely. So, I was eager to learn to drive in spite of my limits.

Thanks to the providence of God, I could attain a driver’s license in 2011. When I was involved in the mission team, I was able to practice driving. However, due to the personnel transfer, I couldn’t keep driving.

When I came back from Rome in 2017, I was afraid of driving again. Nevertheless, I made a rule to drive at least once a month whenever I went on a mission for migrant groups.

Now, since I was called to be a missionary, another good opportunity has been given to me to put driving into practice. Because driving skills are a must before going abroad, I have kept driving during the weekdays for about three months to get used to it again. While preparing for my driving test in the U.S., I continue to study the rules and skills of driving these days.

When it comes to driving, the concept of the blind spot drew my attention. The blind spot is the area of the road that the driver cannot see without moving his or her head. Since the driver cannot see the blind spot directly, he or she should turn his or her head over the shoulder.

Sometimes the driver has to get out of the car to check if there are some objects behind the car, especially when children are playing nearby.

“No zone” is a term used to describe blind spots around a truck or bus. The bigger the vehicle is, the larger the blind spot. The blind spot is an obscuration of the visual field.

Therefore, to check the blind spot when changing lanes to the left, the driver should glance over the left shoulder. When changing lanes on the road, the driver should signal a lane change, check the side view mirrors and the rearview mirror, and check the blind spot in the direction he or she plans to move by glancing over the shoulder.

When passing other vehicles, it is a good habit to check mirrors and blind spots. The act of turning your head to check the blind spot before changing lanes, driving away from a curb, or merging vehicles into traffic, is a good driving habit.

Looking over the left or right shoulder for traffic in the blind spot before changing lanes is necessary to avoid collisions with other vehicles. It is always recommended to quickly turn the head to see if the blind spot is clear before changing lanes.

Looking ahead and going straight are not enough to be a good driver. Paying close attention all around is a must to avoid collisions. Since we don’t have clairvoyance, we have to make the extra effort to turn our heads and look over our shoulders.

As in the blind spots in driving, we have spiritual blind spots like prejudice, pride, ignorance, showing off, and dishonesty that we are not fully aware of. As we have to turn our heads over our shoulders and look backward to see the blind areas, we need the Holy Spirit to enlighten, shine, and inspire our inner hearts.

“What do you want me to do for you?”
“I want to see.” (Mark 10:51)

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ November 18, 2022-

사각 지대

2010년 선교팀에 파견되었을 때 나는 빠르고 자유롭게 목적지에 도달하려면 역동적 이동성이 필요함을 느꼈다. 그래서 나는 자신의 한계에도 열심히 운전을 배웠다.

하느님의 섭리로 2011년에 운전면허를 딸 수 있었다. 선교팀에 있는 동안 운전연습을 할 수 있었지만 인사이동으로 인해 운전을 계속하지 못했다.

2017년 로마에서 돌아왔을 때는 다시 운전하는 것이 두려웠다. 그럼에도 나는 적어도 한 달에 한 번 이주민 선교를 갈 때만큼은 운전을 한다는 규칙을 세웠다.

이제 선교사로 부름을 받은 나에게는 운전을 할 수 있는 또 다른 좋은 기회가 주어졌다. 해외에 나가기 전에 운전 기술을 습득해야 해서 나는 다시 운전에 익숙해지기 위해 3개월 동안 주중에 계속 운전을 했다. 요즘에도 계속 나는 미국 운전면허 시험을 준비하면서 운전 규칙과 기술을 공부하고 있다.

운전을 하다 보면 사각지대라는 개념이 눈에 띈다. 사각지대는 운전자가 자신의 머리를 움직이지 않고는 볼 수 없는 도로 영역이다. 운전자는 사각지대를 직접 볼 수 없기에 자신의 어깨 너머로 고개를 돌려야 한다.

때때로 운전자는, 특히 아이들이 근처에서 놀고 있을 때 차 뒤에 어떤 물체가 있는지 확인하기 위해 차에서 내려야 한다.

“No zone”은 트럭이나 버스 주변의 사각지대를 설명하는 데 사용되는 용어다. 차량이 클수록 사각지대도 크다. 사각지대는 시야를 가리는 영역이다.

따라서 운전자가 좌측으로 차선을 변경할 때 사각지대를 확인하려면 왼쪽 어깨 너머로 돌아보아야 한다. 도로에서 차선을 변경할 때 운전자는 차선 변경 신호를 하고 사이드미러와 백미러를 확인하며 어깨 너머로 자신이 이동하려는 방향의 사각지대를 살펴보아야 한다.

다른 차량을 추월하려면 거울과 사각지대를 확인하는 것이 좋은 습관이다. 차선을 바꾸고 연석에서 벗어나거나 다른 차량에 합류하기 전에 고개를 돌려 사각지대를 확인하는 행위는 좋은 운전 습관이다.

다른 차량과의 충돌을 피하기 위해 차선을 바꾸기 전에 사각지대에 있는 차량을 왼쪽 또는 오른쪽 어깨 너머로 살펴야 한다. 차선을 바꾸기 전에 언제나 재빠르게 고개를 돌려 사각지대가 없는지 확인하는 것이 좋다.

앞을 바라보며 직진하는 것만으로는 좋은 운전자가 되기에 충분하지 않다. 충돌을 피하려면 모든 면에서 주의를 기울여야 한다. 우리는 천리안이 없기에 고개를 돌려 어깨 너머로 보려고 더 많이 노력해야 한다.

운전의 사각지대처럼 우리에게는 편견, 교만, 무지, 과시, 솔직하지 못함 등 우리가 온전히 깨닫지 못하는 영적 사각지대가 있다. 어깨 너머로 고개를 돌려 뒤를 돌아보아야 잘 보이지 않는 곳을 제대로 볼 수 있듯이 우리에게는 우리 마음을 일깨우고 환히 비추며 영감을 주는 성령이 필요하다.

“내가 너에게 무엇을 해 주기를 바라느냐?”

“제가 다시 볼 수 있게 해 주십시오.” (마르코복음 10,51)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,