A piece of sunshine

Short memory, good memory 짧은 기억, 좋은 기억

Short memory, good memory 짧은 기억, 좋은 기억  

"He took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.'" (Luke 22:19)

When Jesus gave himself for people and, thus, instituted the Sacrament of the Eucharist, he recommended them to "do this in memory of me."

As far as we remember his love realized through his death and resurrection, we will do the same as a sign of love for others in our daily lives.

However, because our memory is short, we often forget about his testimony and live freely without thinking.

How large would be the space of our memory? It is said that the human brain is composed of 100 billion nerve cells (neurons), of which only about 1 billion are considered to be "pyramid cells" related to long-term memory.

Lots of information are just passing away. Otherwise, we will be very tired of keeping memories. It is good to have a good memory and it is also good to have a short memory. Some memories appear like a flashlight while some memories disappear like a firefly.

"When is the date of birth of your father?"

It was one of the questions in the "DS-160," online nonimmigrant visa application. I had to answer various questions within a limited time.

At that moment, I couldn't remember the date of birth of my father at once. Right away, I took a look at the certificate of my family relationship, but it didn't appear because of some problem with the computerization in the administration office.

I tried to remember, but it didn't come to my mind immediately when I faced the question. In the end, I simply replied: "I don't know."

Finally consulting my eldest brother, I was informed that my father's birthday is May 14.

One day, when I visited the Catholic Common Ossuary Cemetery in Sannae, I noticed his birthday written on his nameplate.

Now, I will never forget the birthday of my father who was born on May 14, 1914, and passed away on Oct. 13, 1976, when I was in middle school.

From my second brother, I heard that our grandfather went to Japan during the colonial era and died there by accident. So, nobody in my family talked much about my grandfather. Left alone, my grandmother Susanna Cho raised two sons.

When my father married my mother, he was baptized with the Christian name "Gosma" and his younger brother was named "Damiano."

Even though my father didn't study at school, he had a very special talent as a carpenter. So, he was fully occupied with building and repairing the houses every day.

The first article I wrote for "Thoughts of the Times" in 1989 was about my father, but I couldn't find the file. In search of it, I recently went to National Assembly Library. How glad when I found it! I remember I wrote it as a sign of a turning point in my life.

"Remember clearly what the Lord, your God, did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt: the great testings which your own eyes have seen, the signs and wonders, the strong hand and outstretched arm with which the Lord, your God, brought you out." (Deuteronomy 7:18-19)

- The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ December 13 (online), 14 (offline), 2022 -

짧은 기억, 좋은 기억

“예수님께서는 또 빵을 들고 감사를 드리신 다음, 그것을 떼어 사도들에게 주시며 말씀하셨다. ‘이는 너희를 위하여 내어 주는 내 몸이다. 너희는 나를 기억하여 이를 행하여라.’”(루카 22,19) 

예수님께서 사람들을 위해 당신 자신을 내어 주며 성체성사를 세우셨을 때, 예수님은 사람들에게 “나를 기억하여 이를 행하여라” 하고 권고하셨다. 

예수님의 죽음과 부활을 통해 실현된 그 사랑을 기억하는 한 우리는 일상 가운데 다른 사람들을 향한 사랑의 표시로 그처럼 행할 것이다. 

그런데 우리는 기억력이 짧아 예수님의 증언을 자주 잊어버린 채 아무 생각 없이 자유롭게 살아간다. 

우리 기억의 공간은 얼마나 클까? 인간의 뇌는 1,000억 개의 신경 세포(뉴런)로 이루어져 있으며, 그 가운데 장기 기억과 관련된 “피라미드 세포”는 10억여 개에 지나지 않는다고 한다.

많은 정보가 스쳐 지나간다. 그렇지 않으면 끊임없이 기억하느라 우리는 몹시 지칠 것이다. 기억력이 좋은 것은 좋은 일이고 기억력이 짧은 것도 좋은 일이다. 어떤 기억들은 손전등처럼 나타나고, 또 어떤 기억들은 반딧불이처럼 사라진다.

“아버지의 생년월일이 언제입니까?”

이 물음은 온라인 비이민 비자 신청서인 “DS-160”에 나온 물음 가운데 하나다. 나는 제한된 시간 안에 여러 물음에 답해야 했다.

그 순간 나는 아버지의 생년월일을 곧바로 기억하지 못했다. 이내 가족관계증명서를 살펴보았지만 행정실의 전산화 문제로 날짜가 표기되어 있지 않았다.

나는 기억해내려고 애썼지만 질문에 직면했을 때 곧바로 떠오르지 않았다. 결국 나는 "모릅니다" 하고 대답했다.

큰오빠께 여쭤본 결과 아버지 생신이 5월 14일이라는 것을 알았다.

어느 날, 산내에 있는 가톨릭 공동 납골당 묘지를 찾아갔을 때 아버지의 명패에 생신이 적혀 있는 것을 보았다.

이제 나는 아버지 생신을 결코 잊어버리지 않을 것이다. 아버지는 1914년 5월 14일에 태어나 1976년 10월 13일에 돌아가셨다. 그 당시 나는 중학생이었다.

나는 우리 할아버지가 식민지 시대에 일본에 가셨다가 그곳에서 사고로 돌아가셨다는 이야기를 둘째 오빠한테서 들었다. 그래서인지 우리 가족 가운데 아무도 할아버지에 대해 말을 많이 하지 않았다. 홀몸이 되신 할머니 조 수산나께서 두 아들을 키우셨다.

아버지가 어머니와 결혼했을 때 아버지는 “고스마”라는 이름으로 세례를 받았고 아버지의 동생은 “다미아노”라는 이름으로 세례를 받았다.

아버지는 비록 학교에서 공부하지 않으셨지만 목수로서 매우 특별한 재능을 가지고 계셨다. 그래서 아버지는 날마다 집을 짓고 수리하는 일에 분주했다.

1989년, 내가 처음으로 “Thoughts of the Times”에 낸 글은 아버지에 대한 것이었는데, 그 파일을 찾을 수 없었다. 그 글을 찾아 최근 국회도서관에 갔는데, 이를 발견했을 때 얼마나 반가웠는지 모른다! 내 삶의 전환점의 표지로 그 글을 썼던 것을 나는 기억한다.

“너희는 주 너희 하느님께서 파라오와 온 이집트에 하신 일을 똑똑히 기억하여라. 너희가 두 눈으로 본 큰 재앙들, 그리고 주 너희 하느님께서 표징과 기적들을 일으키시며 강한 손과 뻗은 팔로 너희를 이끌어 내신 것을 기억하여라.”(신명기 7,18-19) 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,