A piece of sunshine

Chiara Corbella Petrillo 키아라 코르벨라 페트릴로

Chiara Corbella Petrillo

"Siamo Nati e Non Moriremo Mai Piu: Storia di Chiara Corbella Petrillo" ("We were born and we will never die again: the story of Chiara Corbella Petrillo") was first published in Italian in 2013, and it was translated into English under the title of "Chiara Corebella Petrillo: A Witness to Joy" in 2015. And finally, the Korean translation came out under the title of "Choice of Chiara" in November.

I read this book in one sitting on the train to my third sister's home in Daejeon. A thoroughly enjoyable read, the book caught my attention since it bears witness to the indescribable preciousness of life and the mysterious beauty of pain.

This book is a collection of testimonies about the life of Chiara (1984-2012), who is undergoing the process of Beatification as a servant of God. The book is a detailed chronological record of the journey of Chiara's response to the unfathomable will of God. Willingly saying "Yes" to the calling of God, Chiara was able to dance in pain, and thus, she lived in joy and peace to the end.

Born in 1984, Chiara was a devout Catholic. After dating Enrico for six years, she married him in 2008, but she had to face a special situation that is very difficult to imagine as a young person.

In spite of all the pain, she faithfully walked toward the kingdom of God and passed away on June 13, 2012, at the age of 28.

After her funeral, Enrico was unable to respond to all the requests for information on her. So, he consulted with his spiritual guide, Fr. Vito D'Amato, and asked Simone Troisi and Cristiana Paccini, who was close to Chiara, to write this book.

The book chronicles the two authors' perspectives and the memories of Chiara's relatives and friends who witnessed all the heart-wrenching moments that she went through with the firm belief that "God, the Father who loves me, will give me the best."

Chiara knew that her first and second babies would not live even if they were born due to serious disabilities in the womb. Nevertheless, she carried her children to the end and sent them to God with the birth.

When she was pregnant with her third child, she discovered cancer, but she delayed cancer treatment for fear of harming her fetus. With unchanging faith, she responded to the calling of God. Thus, she was able to dance in pain and live in joy and peace.

With the help of this faithful testimony of the couple who took care of life with love and acceptance, we are enlightened to believe that we are truly born for eternity and we will never die. How beautiful and marvelous it is to witness the holiness of living as a couple through the sacrament of marriage and the greatness of the power of love!

The first leading cause of death worldwide is abortion and the second leading cause of death is infectious diseases. It is said that more than 42.6 million abortions were performed worldwide last year alone. Over 3,000 abortions are performed a day in Korea. Considering this worldwide situation, this book draws much attention.

"I call heaven and earth today to witness against you: I have set before you, life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19)

- The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ December 22, 2022 -

키아라 코르벨라 페트릴로

"Siamo Nati e Non Moriremo Mai Piu: Storia di Chiara Corbella Petrillo"(우리는 태어났고 다시는 죽지 않을 것이다: 키아라 코르벨라 페트릴로 이야기)라는 책이 2013년 이탈리아어로 처음 출간되었다. 영어 번역본은 2015년 "Chiara Corebella Petrillo: A Witness to Joy"(키아라 코르벨라 페트릴로: 기쁨의 증인)이라는 제목으로 나왔고, 마침내 한국어 번역본이 지난 11월 "키아라의 선택"이라는 제목으로 출간되었다.

나는 대전에 있는 셋째 언니 집으로 가는 기차 안에서 이 책을 단숨에 읽었다. 가독성이 있는 이 책은 내 눈길을 끌었다. 이루 형언할 수 없는 생명의 소중함과 신비로운 고통의 아름다움을 증언하기 때문이다.

이 책은 하느님의 종으로 시복 절차를 밟고 있는 키아라(1984-2012)의 삶에 대한 증언 모음으로, 헤아릴 수 없는 하느님의 뜻에 키아라가 응답한 여정을 시간 순서대로 자세히 기록하고 있다. 하느님의 부르심에 기꺼이 "예"라고 응답한 키아라는 고통 속에서도 춤을 추었고 마지막 순간까지 기쁘고 평화롭게 살았다.

1984년에 태어난 키아라는 신심 깊은 가톨릭 신자였다. 키아라는 엔리코와 6년 동안 사귄 다음 2008년에 결혼했지만 젊은이로서 상상하기 어려운 특별한 상황에 직면해야 했다.

그 모든 고통 속에서도 키아라는 하느님 나라를 향해 충실히 걸어갔으며, 2012년 6월 13일 향년 28세의 나이에 세상을 떠났다.

장례식이 끝난 다음 곳곳에서 키아라에 대한 온갖 정보를 요청하자 엔리코는 대처할 수 없었다. 그래서 엔리코는 자신의 영적 지도 신부인 비토 다마토 신부와 상의하여 키아라와 절친했던 시모네 트로이시와 크리스티아나 파치니에게 이 책을 쓰도록 부탁했다.

이 책은 두 저자의 관점은 물론, "나를 사랑하시는 아버지 하느님께서 나에게 가장 좋은 것을 주시리라"는 굳센 믿음으로 키아라가 겪어낸 모든 가슴 아픈 순간을 목격한 친지와 벗들의 기억을 기록하고 있다.

키아라는 태중에서 시작된 심각한 장애로 첫아이와 둘째 아이를 출산한다 해도 살아남지 못한다는 것을 알고 있었다. 그럼에도 키아라는 마지막 순간까지 아이를 품었고 출산과 함께 하느님께 돌려보내 드렸다.

셋째 아이를 가졌을 때 키아라는 자신이 암에 걸린 것을 발견하였지만 태아에 해가 될까 염려하여 항암 치료를 미루었다. 키아라는 변함없는 믿음으로 하느님의 부르심에 응답하여 고통 속에서 춤을 추며 기쁘고 평화롭게 살 수 있었다.

사랑과 받아들임으로 생명을 아끼며 돌본 이 부부의 신실한 증언 덕분에 우리는 참으로 영원을 향해 태어났고 결코 죽지 않으리라는 것을 믿는다. 혼인성사를 통해 부부로서 함께 살아가는 거룩함과 위대한 사랑의 힘을 보여주는 것은 참으로 아름답고 놀랍기만 하다!

세계적으로 첫 번째 주요 사망 원인은 낙태이고 두 번째 주요 사망 원인은 전염병이다. 지난 한 해에만 세계적으로 4260만 건이 넘는 낙태가 이루어졌다고 한다. 한국에서는 하루에 3,000건이 넘는 낙태가 이루어지고 있다. 이러한 세계적 상황을 고려할 때 이 책은 많은 눈길을 끈다.

“나는 오늘 하늘과 땅을 증인으로 세우고, 생명과 죽음, 축복과 저주를 너희 앞에 내놓았다. 너희와 너희 후손이 살려면 생명을 선택해야 한다.” (신명기 30,19) 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,