A piece of sunshine

Two sides of Canada 캐나다의 두 모습

Two sides of Canada 캐나다의 두 모습

As I go on volunteer mission trips to the East Coast area of Canada, the most impressive thing is that this maple leaf country makes great efforts to be eco-friendly and save the earth.

As I drove a car from Detroit in Michigan to the Canadian border, I saw so many wind turbines constantly moving around in the field as if to greet us with open hands. Converting the energy of the wind into electricity will surely contribute to lessening the crisis of the warming globe.

One day, when I went to “Jardin Botanique” (botanical gardens) in Montreal, I couldn’t find any printed guide map. When I asked for a guide map at the entrance guide, he said: “We don’t have any printed guide map. Please take a picture of it.” Even though it was inconvenient, I appreciated the intention to save resources. Surely, this eco-friendly movement will contribute to saving the earth.

Another notable point is the gradual decline of the marvelous church constructions. In the Archdiocese of Montreal, Catholics make up 70 percent of the population. There are 650 churches and among them, 205 are Catholic churches (170 parishes and 35 missions).

Church buildings with beautiful interiors and exteriors are found in every lane but, unfortunately, many churches are closed or used for other purposes. Even the crucifixes on top of some churches had been removed and the gorgeous beauty of the outer walls has been neglected.

One of the historic parishes, Sainte-Cunegonde Church in the street of Saint-Jacques, was handed over to the Korean migrant Catholic community established in 1979 in Montreal with the name of Mission Saint Martyrs Coreens.

Making use of the old construction is encouraging to see, even though it costs some amount of money for repair.

In spite of the gradual downfalls of considerable constructions, some parishes are still maintaining gorgeous and phenomenal features. Among them, I visited two national historic sites: L’Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal (Saint Joseph’s Oratory of Mount Royal) and Basilique Notre Dame de Montreal (Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal), an exact replica of Notre-Dame Cathedral of Paris in Gothic style.

Saint Joseph’s Oratory was built in 1924 by Brother Andre in honor of Saint Joseph. The remains of Saint Andre are in the church. Saint Andre is well-known for many miracles: those who were healed left their crutches in the church. Thanks to many miracles, pilgrims keep visiting these churches.

Another significant church is Mary Queen of the World Cathedral built between 1870 to 1894 in the style of the Italian Renaissance revival, inspired by Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome. The oldest church built over the ruins of an earlier chapel in 1771 is Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel in Old Montreal.

Solid and gorgeous stone architectures reveal the cultural influence of France and England. In the later 16 century, England and France explored Canada and they settled on the Atlantic coasts in the middle of the 17th century. After seven years of war, France handed over New France (Nouvelle-France) to England. And finally, in 1867, Canada became independent from England.

Being mingled in cultures, various migrants still come here to study or to settle. “Sun and moon, bless the Lord … All you, winds, bless the Lord…” (Daniel 3: 62,65)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/06/162_352744.html
- The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ June 13 (online), 14 (offline), 2023 -

캐나다의 두 모습

캐나다 동부 지역으로 선교 여행을 다니면서 가장 깊은 인상을 받은 것은 이 단풍잎 나라가 지구 환경을 파괴하지 않고 되살리기 위해 많은 노력을 기울이고 있다는 것이다.

미시간 주 디트로이트에서 캐나다 국경까지 운전하는 동안 나는 마치 활짝 펼친 두 손으로 우리를 반기듯 들판 한복판에서 끊임없이 돌아가는 수많은 풍력 터빈(발전기)을 보았다. 바람의 운동 에너지를 전력으로 변환시키는 일은 분명 지구 온난화의 위기를 줄이는 데 기여할 것이다.

어느 날 몬트리올 식물원에 갔는데 종이 가이드 맵을 찾을 수 없었다. 입구에 선 안내인에게 안내 지도를 달라고 했더니, 그는 “인쇄된 가이드 맵은 없습니다. 이 안내지를 찍어 가세요.” 하고 말했다. 불편하긴 했지만 자원을 아끼려는 의도가 고맙기만 했다. 이러한 친환경 운동은 분명 지구를 살리는 데 기여할 것이다.

또 다른 주목할 만한 점은 놀라울 만큼 아름다운 성당 건축물이 점점 문을 닫고 있다는 것이다. 몬트리올 대교구의 가톨릭 신자는 해당 인구의 70퍼센트에 이른다. 몬트리올에는 650여 개의 교회가 있는데, 그 가운데 205개가 가톨릭 성당이다(170개가 본당이고 35개는 공소).

골목마다 안팎으로 아름다운 성당 건물을 엿볼 수 있지만 안타깝게도 많은 성당이 문을 닫거나 다른 용도로 사용되고 있다. 심지어 성당 첨탑에 있던 십자가가 철거된 곳도 있고, 한때 아름다웠던 외벽이 방치된 채로 있다.

역사적 가치를 지닌 성당 가운데 하나인 생 자크 거리에 있는 생트 퀴네공드 성당은 1979년에 한인 가톨릭 공동체로 넘어가 이제 ‘한인 순교자 성인 성당’(Mission Catholique Saint Martyrs Coreens)이라고 불린다. 수리비가 좀 들긴 하지만 오래된 건축물을 그대로 활용하는 것은 바람직하다.

상당한 건축물이 점점 사라져가고 있음에도 몇몇 성당은 여전히 웅장하고 경이로운 모습을 그대로 유지하고 있다. 그 가운데 나는 역사적으로 유서 깊은 성당 두 곳을 순례했다. 성 요셉 대성당(L'Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal)과 고딕 양식으로 된 파리 노트르담 대성당을 그대로 재현한 몬트리올 노트르담 대성당(Basilique Notre Dame de Montreal)이다.

성 요셉 대성당은 1924년 앙드레 수사가 성 요셉을 기리기 위해 세웠다. 유해가 성당 안에 모셔져 있는 앙드레 성인은 많은 기적을 행한 것으로 알려져 있다. 치유받은 사람들은 목발과 지팡이를 성당에 두고 갔는데, 이처럼 수많은 기적 덕분에 순례자들이 끊임없이 이어진다.

또 다른 주요 성당은 로마 성 베드로 대성당에서 영감을 받아 이탈리아 르네상스 양식으로 1870년에서 1894년 사이에 지은 세계의 여왕 마리아 대성당이다. 1771년에 세운 성당의 폐허 위에 세운 가장 오래된 성당은 올드 몬트리올에 있는 노트르담 드 봉 세쿠르 성당이다.

견고하고 웅장한 석조 건축물은 프랑스와 영국의 문화적 영향을 드러낸다. 16세기 후반, 영국과 프랑스는 캐나다를 탐험하였으며 17세기 중반에 이르러 대서양 해안가에 자리잡게 되었다. 7년간의 전쟁 끝에 프랑스는 뉴프랑스(누벨프랑스)를 영국에 넘겨주었고, 1867년에 이르러 캐나다는 마침내 영국으로부터 독립했다.

다양한 이민자들이 뒤섞인 문화 가운데 공부하거나 정착하기 위해 꾸준히 캐나다를 찾아오고 있다. “해와 달아, 주님을 찬미하여라. 바람아, 모두 주님을 찬미하여라.”(다니엘 3,62.65)

- https://mtorchid88.blogspot.com/2023/06/two-sides-of-canada.html

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,