A piece of sunshine

한여름 정원 가꾸기 Summer Gardening

0afb9102c3a7dfcd7d7e6c647c7eac60_1691049490_3779.jpg

I had a dream last night. In my dream, my eldest brother let me talk before people. He thought that I could share more efficiently because I have some experience.

At the beginning of the mission, I was not an eloquent speaker at all. Whenever I had to talk in public, I made much effort to overcome my limitations. I still have to improve my communication skill. Just as flowers and vegetables grow gradually, I am also improving myself little by little.

On that note, blooming flowers are one of the precious gifts we can share with others. Various wildflowers along the path of the forest take turns to bloom. Wildflowers, as they are, attract my attention. Wildflowers exist under big and small trees, but they are still happy and free in their lower places.

In one of the houses where we stayed during the intensive mission, there was a backyard with several trees, plants, flowers and grass. One day, the house owner wanted to dig up some parts of the grass so as to grow vegetables at home. She thought of transforming some parts of the lawn in consideration of her elder sister who would move into her house sooner or later.

For that project only, she had to pay considerable dollars. Out of heartfelt gratitude for allowing us to stay at her house for several weeks, I was willing to dig up some parts of the grass with a shovel and I replaced the hard ground with fertilized soil. Then, I made a simple fence with stones and bricks that I found around the wall of the house.

Carrying the fertilized soil from the front yard to the backyard took time, and I sweated a lot. I worked so hard that I even felt some pain in my right shin. I worked with all my heart because I was grateful for her generosity.

When the lawn was tidied up, she planted lettuce, chicory, eggplant, basil, sesame, kale, pepper, etc. The lawn in the backyard was transformed into a different look! What a joy of picking and eating vegetables grown in the garden!

When I came back from mission trips, I found more flowers blooming in the backyard of our community. Various kinds of flowers are now blooming in patio pots and backyard gardens. Vegetables are also growing in sunny vegetable beds and pots.

I noticed that the remaining community members take turns watering the gardens while two postulants with their formator are away from the community for summer vacation and retreat. A summer gardening guide for watering, weeding and harvesting has been well prepared to give information regarding the maintenance of the gardens.

We make constant efforts to make nature beautiful and peaceful, but the Canadian wildfires with smoke are still not under control. Our nature goes through its ups and downs as in our life. In spite of all the struggling situations, we shall have to give thanks for everything to the Lord.

"Praise the Lord from the earth, you, sea monsters and all the deeps of the sea; Lightning and hail, snow and thick clouds, storm wind that fulfills his command; Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars; animals wild and tame, creatures that crawl and birds that fly …" (Psalm 148:7-10)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/07/162_355261.html

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ July 23 (online), 24 (offline), 2023

한여름 정원 가꾸기

어젯밤에 꿈을 꾸었다. 꿈에 큰오빠가 나타나 나로 하여금 사람들 앞에서 말하게 했다. 큰오빠는 나에게 경험이 있어 사람들과 더 효율적으로 무언가를 나눌 수 있다고 생각했던 것이다.

선교 여정이 시작될 무렵 나는 유창하게 말하지 못하여 사람들 앞에서 이야기할 때마다 그 한계를 극복하려고 나름 많은 노력을 기울였다. 나는 여전히 의사 소통 기술을 향상시켜야 한다. 꽃과 채소들이 서서히 자라듯 나도 조금씩 나아지고 있다.

그런 의미에서 점점 피어나는 꽃은 우리가 사람들과 나눌 수 있는 소중한 선물 가운데 하나다. 숲길을 따라 다채로운 들꽃이 번갈아 피어난다. 들꽃은 있는 그대로의 자연스러운 모습으로 눈길을 끈다. 들꽃은 크고 작은 나무 아래 피어나지만 그 낮은 곳에서도 여전히 행복하며 자유롭다.

집중 선교 동안 우리가 머무른 집 가운데 한 곳에는 나무 몇 그루와 식물, 꽃과 잔디가 펼쳐진 뒷마당이 있었다. 어느 날 집주인이 채소를 기르기 위해 잔디 일부를 캐내고 싶어했다. 조만간 이 집으로 이사 올 언니를 위해 잔디밭 일부를 채소밭으로 뒤바꾸려고 했다.

잔디를 재정비하려면 상당한 금액을 지불해야 했다. 몇 주 동안 우리가 그 집에 머물게 해준 것에 대해 진심으로 감사드리는 마음으로 나는 기꺼이 삽질을 하여 잔디를 파낸 다음 굳은 땅에 거름 흙을 뒤섞어 채소밭을 마련했다. 그런 다음 집 담벼락 주변에서 골라온 돌과 벽돌로 소담한 울타리를 만들었다.

앞마당에서 뒷마당까지 거름 흙을 옮기느라 시간이 걸렸고 땀이 비 오듯 흘렀다. 오른쪽 허벅지에 통증이 생길 만큼 열심히 움직였다. 그 자매의 관대함이 참으로 고마웠기에 온 마음을 다해 일했다.

잔디를 정리하자 그 자매는 상추, 치커리, 가지, 바질, 참깨, 케일, 고추 등을 심었다. 드디어 뒷마당 잔디밭이 탈바꿈하여 새로운 모습을 드러냈다! 텃밭에서 기르는 채소를 따서 먹는 즐거움은 그 얼마나 큰가!

선교 여행에서 돌아왔을 때 우리 공동체 뒷마당에 꽃들이 많이 피어 있는 것을 보았다. 다양한 꽃들이 안뜰에 놓인 화분과 뒤뜰 정원에 활짝 피어났고, 햇볕이 잘 드는 채소밭과 화분에서도 채소들이 무럭무럭 자라고 있었다.

여름 휴가를 보내고 피정을 하기 위해 청원장과 두 청원자들이 떠나 있는 동안 공동체에 남아 있는 수녀들이 번갈아 가며 정원에 물을 주고 있었다. 정원 관리 정보 차원에서 마련된 물주기, 풀 뽑기, 수확하기에 관련된 한여름 정원 가꾸기 지침이 잘 준비되어 있었다.

자연을 아름답고 평화롭게 만들기 위해 우리는 부단한 노력을 기울이지만 끊임없이 타올라 연기를 뿜어내는 캐나다 산불은 여전히 통제되지 못하고 있다. 우리네 삶처럼 자연 또한 끊임없이 이어지는 기복을 겪는다. 하지만 우리는 온갖 어려움 속에서도 모든 것에 주님께 감사드려야 하리라.

"주님을 찬미하여라, 땅으로부터. 용들과 깊은 모든 바다들아. 불이며 우박, 눈이며 안개, 그분 말씀을 수행하는 거센 바람아. 산들과 모든 언덕들, 과일나무와 모든 향백나무들아. 들짐승과 모든 집짐승, 길짐승과 날짐승들아."(시편 148,7-10)

- mtorchid88.blogspot.com  - 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,