A piece of sunshine

모든 것을 변화시킨 책 The Book That Changed Everything

56fe1ae5b9ec04613991597bcb284863_1695263121_9441.jpg
The Book That Changed Everything

What would be the book that can change everything? Many inspiring books can change our lives and perspectives. Among them, I would dare say that the Bible is the most inspiring book that can change everything. 

Recently, "The Book That Changed Everything," a picture book written by Sister Allison Regina Gliot and illustrated by Santiago Maria Lopez Piuma, was published by Pauline Books & Media. 

Sofia, the protagonist in this story, has so many books because she enjoys reading. Being an avid reader, she spends all her time exploring the world of words in a library. But she feels something is missing. 

One day in a dream, she finds a book that feels like a friend calling out to her. 

"Who are you?" She asked. 

"I am the Word of God. My name is Jesus." 

"Jesus? I read about you in the book!" 

"You were not just reading about me, Sofia. I was speaking to you. That book is my voice. Whenever you read it, we are together." 

Now, reading the Bible, Sofia spent time with her friend, Jesus, every day. She learned about his mission, promises and love. 

Jesus asked, "Do you like my book, Sofia?" 

"Yes, more than anything!" 

"Would you like to hear the rest of the story?" 

"There's more?" 

"The people in that book lived a long time ago. When they followed me, they told other people about me, and those people also learned to listen to my voice. I never stopped talking to them and to all my new followers who came later. The story continues in the Church I made right up to today. Right up to you, Sofia. Sofia, will you be a part of my story? Will you follow me?" 

"Oh, yes, please! I want to follow you forever!" 

"Then, come my little one. Do not be afraid. I am with you. I have so much to show you." 

This story reminds me of a short story about a shoemaker named Martin Avdeitch. This story is known as "Martin the Cobbler," but the original title is "Where Love Is, God Is," a short story written in 1885 by Russian author Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910). 

Martin denied God because of the suffering he underwent. But as he began to read the Bible every day, his perspectives underwent a dramatic transformation, and through compassion and sharing with others, he experienced the presence of God among those who were in dire need. 

"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me … Whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:35-36, 40) 

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ Sept 19 (online), 20 (offline), 2023 

모든 것을 변화시킨 책

모든 것을 변화시킬 수 있는 책은 무엇일까? 우리에게 영감을 주는 수많은 책은 우리 삶과 관점을 바꿀 수 있다. 그 가운데서도 성경은 분명 모든 것을 변화시킬 수 있는 가장 영감 어린 책이리라. 

최근에 앨리슨 레지나 글리엇 수녀가 글을 쓰고 산티아고 마리아 로페즈 피우마가 삽화를 그린 그림책 “모든 것을 변화시킨 책”이 바오로딸에서 출간되었다. 

이 이야기의 주인공인 소피아는 독서를 즐겨 하여 참으로 많은 책을 소장하고 있다. 독서광 소피아는 하루 종일 도서관에 머물러 단어의 세계를 탐색하지만 무언가 미흡하다고 느낀다. 

어느 날 꿈에서 소피아는 친구가 자신을 부르는 듯한 느낌을 주는 책을 발견한다. 

"누구세요?" 소피아가 물었다. 

"난 하느님 말씀이야. 내 이름은 예수." 

"예수라고요? 책에서 당신에 대해 읽었어요!" 

"소피아, 넌 나에 대해 그냥 읽기만 한 것이 아니란다. 난 너에게 직접 말하고 있었지. 그 책은 내 목소리야. 네가 그 책을 읽을 때마다 우리는 함께 있어." 

이제 소피아는 날마다 성경을 읽으면서 친구 예수와 함께 시간을 보냈다. 소피아는 예수의 사명과 약속, 사랑에 대해 배웠다. 

"소피아, 내 책이 마음에 드니?" 예수가 물었다. 

"예, 제 맘에 쏙 들어요!" 

"나머지 이야기도 듣고 싶니?" 

"이야기가 더 있나요?" 

"그 책에 나오는 사람들은 아주 먼 옛날에 살았지. 나를 따르던 그들은 사람들에게 나에 대해 말했고, 그래서 그 사람들 또한 내 목소리에 귀 기울이는 법을 배웠지. 난 나를 따르던 이들과 나중에 나를 따르게 된 모든 이에게 한없이 이야기했어. 그 이야기는 내가 세운 교회에 이어져 오늘날까지 계속 전해지지. 소피아에게도 이어져. 소피아, 내 이야기의 일부가 되지 않을래? 나를 따르렴!" 

"오, 그럼요, 따르고 싶어요! 예수님을 영원히 따르고 싶어요!" 

"그럼, 어서 와, 내 작은 아이야. 두려워하지 마. 내가 너와 함께 있으니. 너에게 보여줄 것이 참 많아." 

이 이야기는 구두수선공 마틴 아브제이치에 대한 단편소설을 떠올린다. 이 소설은 “구두수선공 마틴”으로 알려져 있으나 원제목은 “사랑이 있는 곳에 하느님이 계시다”이다. 이는 러시아 작가 레프 톨스토이(1828~1910)가 1885년에 쓴 단편소설이다. 

마틴은 자신이 겪은 고난 때문에 하느님을 부인했으나 날마다 성경을 읽기 시작하면서 자신의 관점에 극적인 변화를 불러일으켰다. 연민을 갖고 사람들과 더불어 나누면서 마틴은 도움을 절실히 필요로 하는 이들 가운데 하느님이 현존하심을 체험했다. 

“너희는 내가 굶주렸을 때에 먹을 것을 주었고, 내가 목말랐을 때에 마실 것을 주었으며, 내가 나그네였을 때에 따뜻이 맞아들였다. 또 내가 헐벗었을 때에 입을 것을 주었고, 내가 병들었을 때에 돌보아 주었으며, 내가 감옥에 있을 때에 찾아 주었다. … 너희가 내 형제들인 이 가장 작은 이들 가운데 한 사람에게 해 준 것이 바로 나에게 해 준 것이다." (마태 25,35-36.40)

https://mtorchid88.blogspot.com/2023/09/the-book-that-changed-everything.html 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,