A piece of sunshine

A Spring of Water 물이 솟는 샘

01578b2acfaa8e476bd9dab58088bcc0_1710294079_3634.jpg

A Spring of Water 물이 솟는 샘  ---------------

The climate and access to clean water might be the most serious issues in the world. According to “Water Mission,” two billion people around the world lack access to safe water, and the lack of it causes water-related illnesses and inadequate sanitation.

Some sensitive guides who are concerned about the water supply system in Mexico due to water scarcity and droughts, inadequate drinking water quality, wastewater treatment and inefficient utilities suggest that travelers should not drink tap water.

Five basic elements in the composition of the universe are wood, fire, earth, metal and water. As one of the most basic resources of the world, water is so precious in our daily lives. How can we survive without water? In my case, I drink three cups of water early in the morning when I get up.

Recently, thanks to our benefactors, I made a pilgrimage to the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico. The old Cathedral of Guadalupe was built from 1695 to 1709, and the new Basilica was built from 1974 to 1976. Since Our Lady of Guadalupe was proclaimed the patron saint of the Americas in 1946, the largest number of pilgrims visit this holy site every year.

It was cloudy on the first day of our pilgrimage and it drizzled in the morning of the second day. Our knowledgeable and relaxed guide said that it was the rain of blessings because Mexicans expected and waited for the rain to come. Especially in an agricultural society, water and rain are most necessary to cultivate crops. So, during the times of droughts, farmers pray most sincerely for the coming of the rain.

During my pilgrimage to the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, the most impressive symbol that I noticed was the water. Everybody would agree that the water gives us life, strength, energy and vitality. That would be why the image and the motive of water are deeply embedded both in culture and in various works of sculptures and architecture.

Probably thanks to the influence of the Aztec civilization, various fountains and ponds are spread here and there on the compound of the Basilica and in the artistic public buildings such as Camino Real Polanco Hotel and the National Museum of Anthropology.

“The Source of Eternal Motion” created by Mexican Architect Ricardo Legorreta (1931-2011) in 1968 reveals a constantly waving fountain day in and day out. During the day, the fountain rises from the round edge into a semicircle. At night, the fountain moves around like dynamic waves at its center.

In the gardens on the way to Tepeyac Hill where Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared four times to Juan Diego (1474-1548), the water gushes from various fountains and waterfalls. The greeting statues of Juan Diego with his Tilma (mantle) and Don Juan de Zumarraga are standing in the middle of the gardens.

In the garden on the left, the tall statue of Christ the King stands on the globe. Just behind this statue stands the surrounding wall like a folding screen. In the middle of it, there is a fountain in the shape of a cross, and a water flows out from half of the cross.

The Chapel of the Pond (Capilla del Pocito) preserves the Spring of the Miracle (Pozo del Milagro) that occurred in the fourth apparition site of Our Lady of Guadalupe. In various forms, the water gives us a strong image of renewal, healing, hope and life.

“Whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:14)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2024/03/162_370326.html

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ March 11 (online), 12 (offline), 2024

물이 솟는 샘 ---------------------------------------------------

기후와 깨끗한 물을 마시는 일은 세계에서 가장 심각한 문제일 것이다. 워터 미션에 따르면 세계 20억 사람들이 안전한 물을 마시지 못하고 있으며, 안전한 물 부족으로 물 관련 질병과 부적절한 위생 상태에 노출되어 있다. 

멕시코의 물 부족과 가뭄, 부적절한 수질, 폐수 처리 및 비효율적인 설비로 인해 물 공급 시스템을 우려하는 민감한 가이드들은 여행자들에게 수돗물을 마시지 말라고 한다. 

우주를 구성하는 다섯 가지 기본 요소는 나무, 불, 흙, 금속, 물이다. 세계에서 가장 기본적인 자원 가운데 하나인 물은 일상생활에서 무척 소중하다. 물 없이 어떻게 살아남을 수 있을까? 나는 아침 일찍 일어날 때마다 물 세 컵을 마신다. 

최근 은인들 덕분에 멕시코 과달루페 성모 대성당을 순례했다. 옛날 과달루페 성모 대성당은 1695년부터 1709년 사이에 지어졌고, 새 바실리카는 1974년부터 1976년 사이에 건축되었다. 1946년 과달루페 성모님이 아메리카 대륙의 수호성인으로 선포된 이래 해마다 가장 많은 순례자들이 이 성지를 방문한다. 

순례 첫날은 날씨가 흐렸고, 둘째 날 아침에는 비가 내렸다. 많은 것을 알고 있어 편안하게 안내하는 가이드는 멕시코 사람들이 비를 무척 고대하며 기다렸기에 축복의 비라고 했다. 특히 농촌에서 농작물을 재배하려면 물과 비가 가장 필요하다. 그래서 가뭄이 들 때 농부들은 비가 내리길 간절히 기도한다. 

과달루페 성모 대성당을 순례하는 동안 가장 인상 깊게 살펴본 상징물은 바로 물이었다. 물이 우리에게 생명과 힘, 에너지와 활력을 준다는 데 누구나 동의할 것이다. 그래서인지 물의 이미지와 모티브는 문화는 물론 다양한 조각과 건축물에 깊숙이 자리잡고 있다. 

어쩌면 아즈텍 문명의 영향 덕분에 바실리카가 자리한 지역은 물론 카미노 레알 폴란코 호텔과 국립 인류학 박물관처럼 예술적인 공공건물 곳곳에 다양한 분수와 연못이 있다. 

멕시코 건축가 리카르도 레고레타(1931-2011)가 1968년에 만든 "영원한 움직임의 샘"은 하루 종일 파도처럼 끊임없이 물결치는 분수를 보여준다. 낮에는 분수가 둥근 가장자리에서 반원형으로 솟아오르며, 밤에는 분수 한복판에서 물결이 역동적인 파도처럼 움직인다. 

후안 디에고(1474~1548)에게 과달루페 성모님이 네 번 발현하신 테페약 언덕으로 가는 길에 있는 정원에는 여러 모양의 분수에서 물이 솟아오르며 폭포에서 물이 흐른다. 틸마(망토)를 든 후안 디에고와 후안 데 주마라가 주교가 서로 마주한 동상이 정원 한가운데 있다. 

정원 왼쪽에는 지구본 위에 서 계신 그리스도 왕 동상이 있다. 이 동상 바로 뒤에 병풍처럼 둘러싸인 벽이 있고 그 가운데에 십자가 모양의 분수가 있는데, 그 십자가 중간에서 물이 흘러나온다. 

우물 성당에는 과달루페 성모님이 네 번째 발현하신 자리에서 솟아오른 기적의 샘이 있다. 물은 이처럼 다양한 모습으로 우리에게 쇄신과 치유, 희망과 생명을 불러일으키는 강력한 이미지를 심어준다. 

“내가 주는 물을 마시는 사람은 영원히 목마르지 않을 것이다. 내가 주는 물은 그 사람 안에서 물이 솟는 샘이 되어 영원한 생명을 누리게 할 것이다.” (요한 4,14)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,