A piece of sunshine

Growing in virtue 덕스럽게 성장하기

2269007c5c69b6db4b959718609dc59a_1715829035_813.jpg

Growing in virtue  

How to live virtuously? It is one of my ongoing questions, inspiring me to examine my conscience every day. 

Various kinds of spiritual and moral means are given to those who “seek what is above” (Colossians 3:1). Among them are four cardinal virtues, seven Christian virtues, four theological virtues, nine fruits of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control) and seven gifts of the Holy Spirit (wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety and fear of the Lord). 

Whenever I went for the mission to the school, the expression “Virtue of the Month” written on the bulletin board caught my attention. 

Even in “Huddle,” the weekly online newsletter of our congregation, the expression “Value of the Month” invites me to ponder on spiritual values. This year, the American Province of the Daughters of Saint Paul chose five core values: devoted, intentional, excellent, adaptable and trustworthy. So, each member is encouraged to live these values and to cite sisters or co-workers who witness the chosen value every month. 

All these enduring efforts remind me of the importance of practicing virtues in daily life. 

Benjamin Franklin once wrote a book about virtues. The 13 virtues he always kept in his mind were temperance, silence, order, resolution, frugality, industry, sincerity, justice, moderation, cleanliness, tranquility, chastity and humility. To practice these values habitually, he tried to concentrate on one at a time. 

Pauline Sr. Mary Lea Hill, known as a “Crabby Mystic,” shares her humorous wisdom in her books such as “Prayer and You: Wit and Wisdom from a Crabby Mystic,” “Blessed are the Stressed: Secrets to a Happy Heart from a Crabby Mystic,” “Complaints of the Saints: Stumbling upon Holiness with a Crabby Mystic” and “Growing in Virtue: One Vice at a Time.” 

In her recent book titled “Growing in Virtue: One Vice at a Time with a Crabby Mystic,” Sr. Lea invites us to look at the four cardinal virtues (prudence, justice, fortitude and temperance) as the basis of a good human life. Then, she goes through the seven Christian virtues (diligence, patience, moderation, kindness, chastity, generosity and humility) in comparison with the seven vices (capital or deadly sins: sloth, anger, gluttony, envy, lust, avarice and pride). Finally, she suggests the three theological virtues (faith, hope and charity) that have the most profound supernatural strength and beauty. 

In the beginning, God created us in goodness. However, due to the fall of Adam and Eve, we lost the common ground of goodness, and we have to face various vices and sins that bring about negative energies and consume what is good and life-giving.

So, we are struggling to overcome our human limitations and to strive to become a better person. Surely, by putting the spiritual virtues into practice, we can be like Jesus, but it is a life-long work. 

I do hope to amend my limitations as well. So, I reflect on myself and make up my mind to improve more and more. Being conscious of living virtuously, I can be more attentive, compassionate and considerate of others. 

One of my limitations is judging others inwardly by looking at their appearances. To correct this judgmental habit, I talk to myself whenever I fall into temptation: “I am weak. You are weak. All of us are weak!” 

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ May 14 (online), 15 (offline), 2024  

덕스럽게 성장하기

어떻게 하면 덕스럽게 살 수 있을까? 이는 내가 끊임없이 품고 있는 물음 가운데 하나로, 날마다 양심 성찰을 하도록 이끈다. 

다양한 영적, 도덕적 수단이 “저 위에 있는 것을 추구하는” (콜로새 3,1) 이들에게 주어진다. 그 가운데에는 사추덕, 신앙인의 일곱 가지 미덕, 네 가지 신학적 덕목, 성령의 아홉 가지 열매(사랑, 기쁨, 평화, 인내, 친절, 선행, 진실, 온유, 절제), 성령칠은(슬기, 통달, 의견, 지식, 굳셈, 효경, 두려워함)이 있다. 

학교에 선교하러 갈 때마다 게시판에 적힌 '이 달의 미덕'이라는 문구가 내 눈길을 끌었다. 

미국 성바오로딸수도회의 온라인 주간 소식지 “Huddle”에도 “이 달의 가치”라는 표현이 나오는데, 이는 영적 가치를 되새기도록 이끈다. 올해 바오로딸 미국 관구는 헌신, 계획성, 탁월함, 적응력, 믿음직함이라는 다섯 가지 핵심 가치를 선택했는데, 이에 따라 각 회원은 이 다섯 가지 가치를 살아내고 매달 선택한 가치를 삶으로 증거하는 수녀나 직원들을 추천하여 격려하도록 초대받고 있다. 

이처럼 한결같이 기울이는 노력은 일상 생활에서 미덕을 실천하는 것이 중요함을 일깨운다. 

벤자민 프랭클린은 미덕에 대한 책을 썼는데, 그가 늘 마음에 새겼던 13가지 덕목은 절제, 침묵, 질서, 결단, 검소, 근면, 성실, 정의, 절제, 청결, 평온, 순결, 겸손이었다. 그는 이러한 가치들이 몸에 베이도록 실천하기 위해 한번에 한 가지 덕목에 집중하여 살아내려고 노력했다. 

“괴팍한 신비주의자”로 알려진 바오로딸 매리 레아 힐 수녀는 “기도와 당신: 괴팍한 신비주의자의 재치와 지혜”, “스트레스 받는 사람들은 행복합니다: 괴팍한 신비주의자가 건네는 행복한 마음의 비결”, “성인들의 불평: 괴팍한 신비주의자와 함께 걸려 넘어지는 거룩함”, “덕스럽게 성장하기: 한 번에 한 가지 악덕”과 같은 책에서 유머 가득한 지혜를 나눈다. 

최근 “덕스럽게 성장하기: 괴팍한 신비주의자와 함께 한 번에 한 가지 악덕”이라는 제목의 책을 펴낸 레아 수녀는 선량한 인간 삶의 바탕이 되는 네 가지 기본 덕목(사추덕: 예지, 정의, 용기, 절제)을 살펴보도록 초대한 다음 신앙인의 일곱 가지 미덕(부지런함, 인내, 절제, 친절, 순결, 관대함, 겸손)을 일곱 가지 악덕(대죄: 나태, 분노, 폭식, 시기, 정욕, 탐욕, 교만)과 비교하여 설명하며, 마지막으로 가장 심오한 초자연적 힘과 아름다움을 지닌 세 가지 신학적 덕목(향주삼덕: 믿음, 희망, 사랑)을 제시한다. 

한처음에 하느님은 우리를 선한 모습으로 창조하셨는데, 아담과 하와의 타락으로 인해 우리는 우리 모두의 바탕인 선을 상실하여 부정적 기운을 가져오며 선함과 생명력을 내어주지 못하게 하는 여러 가지 악덕과 죄악에 직면해야 한다. 

그래서 우리는 인간의 한계를 극복하고 더 나은 사람이 되기 위해 분투노력한다. 영적 미덕을 실천함으로써 우리는 분명 예수님을 닮아갈 수 있으나 이는 평생에 걸친 작업이다. 

나 또한 내 자신의 한계를 고쳐 나가고 싶기에 내면을 성찰하며 시나브로 성장하고자 마음먹는다. 덕스럽게 살아가려고 의식하면 이웃에게 더 많은 주의를 기울이고 연민을 갖고 대하며 배려하게 된다. 

내 한계 가운데 하나는 다른 이들의 겉모습을 보고 속으로 판단하는 것이다. 이처럼 판단하려는 마음을 바로잡기 위해 나는 유혹에 빠질 때마다 스스로에게 말한다. “나는 약하다. 너도 약하다. 우리 모두 약하다!” 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,