A piece of sunshine

Word of the Cross 십자가의 말씀

027ab63697dcab15cc97df5226acde44_1718416697_7131.jpg
The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ May 28 (online), 29 (offline), 2024 

Word of the Cross 

What would be the most appropriate word that can represent the cross of Jesus

Humility, love, listening, surrender, emptiness and self-sacrifice. There are various expressions that can represent the symbolic meaning of the cross. 

In my reflections, the best word for the cross is humility, which is the key to the spiritual life. Saint Augustine also regarded humility as the most important virtue in Christian life. 

This year, as a part of the ongoing formation of sisters in our congregation, each of us is assigned to read "Redeeming Conflict: 12 Habits for Christian Leaders," written by Ann M. Garrido, and to share our thoughts in the community. 

Reading three legendary stories given as "companions for the spiritual journey" at the beginning of the book, I found one common point: humility. One example is Francis' attitude of humble curiosity to listen and talk with the sultan Malik al-Kamil. 

Encountering Francis dressed in his rags. Malik al-Kamil recognized him as a man of God and changed his attitude. Through their heartfelt dialogues, each of them changed their perspectives and adopted the goodness of the other. 

"The Word of the Cross: the Character of Pauline preaching in 1 Corinthians 1:10-2:5" is the title of a master's thesis of our Junior Sister Amanda. Listening to her defending her thesis at Aquinas Institute of Theology in April, I deeply appreciated her thorough study and profound reflection on the words of the Cross, which she firmly believes to be the key to Pauline's preaching. 

The words of the Cross go beyond any eloquent wisdom or lofty words when we proclaim the Good News. Sr. Amanda reflected on a distinctive application of rhetoric beyond the Greco-Roman rhetoric through the powerful words of the Cross of Christ

Truly, Christ crucified is God's power and wisdom. "When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom … I resolved to know nothing … except Jesus Christ crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God's power." (1Corinthians 2:1-5) 

Through Christ crucified, Paul inspired lots of people and touched and healed their hearts. Paul preached a person, not an idea. With Christ crucified, Paul invited people to have a deeper relationship with God. 

The community or the parish is not a place of rhetoric filled with words but "a place of encounter with Christ" where faith is given, received, exercised, experienced, shared and thus witnessed. In this way, concrete acts of compassionate charity are realized. 

Reading her thesis, I could feel how deeply she has integrated her learning and study into her community life. While studying at the Theology Institute, she has never neglected communitarian duties or her apostolate. As a vocational promoter, she never boasts about herself, and she is enthusiastic about organizing various activities, including talks with young people. 

"The word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12) 

Truly, the word of the Cross is living and effective, leading to discerning reflections and thoughts of the heart. 

십자가의 말씀 

예수님의 십자가를 표현하는 가장 적절한 말은 무엇일까? 

겸손, 사랑, 귀 기울임, 내어 맡김, 비움, 자기 희생... 십자가의 상징적 의미를 드러내는 표현은 참으로 다양하다. 

십자가를 드러내는 가장 좋은 표현은 영적 삶의 열쇠인 겸손이라고 생각한다. 성 아우구스티노 또한 겸손을 그리스도인의 삶에서 가장 중요한 덕목으로 여겼다. 

올해 우리 수도회 지속 양성의 일환으로 우리는 앤 M. 가리도가 쓴 "갈등을 해결하는 방법: 그리스도인 리더들을 위한 12가지 습관"을 읽고 공동체에서 각자의 생각을 나누라는 숙제를 받았다. 

이 책 첫 부분에 '영적 여정의 동반자'로 제시된 세 가지 전설적 이야기를 읽으면서 한 가지 공통점을 발견했는데, 그것은 곧 겸손이다. 그 한 예는 겸손한 호기심으로 가득한 프란치스코의 태도다. 프란치스코는 술탄 말릭 알카밀에게 귀 기울여 기꺼이 대화하고자 했다. 

누더기 옷을 입은 프란치스코를 마주한 말릭 알카밀은 곧바로 그를 하느님의 사람으로 알아보고 태도를 바꾸었다. 진심 어린 대화를 나눈 그들은 각자의 관점을 바꾸고 상대의 장점을 받아들였다. 

“십자가의 말씀: 코린토 신자들에게 보낸 첫째 서간 1장 10절에서 2장 5절에 나타난 설교하는 바오로의 특징”은 바오로딸 유기서원자 아만다 수녀가 쓴 석사학위 논문 제목이다. 지난 4월 아퀴나스 신학원에서 자신이 깊인 논문을 발표하는 내용을 들으면서 나는 십자가의 말씀에 대한 수녀님의 꼼꼼한 연구와 깊은 성찰에 깊이 공감하며 감사드렸다. 아만다 수녀는 바오로가 선포한 설교의 핵심은 곧 십자가의 말씀이라고 굳게 믿고 있다. 

십자가의 말씀은 우리가 복음을 선포할 때 드러나는 어떤 웅변적 지혜나 뛰어난 말을 넘어선다. 아만다 수녀는 그리스도가 짊어진 십자가의 강력한 말씀에 비추어 그리스 로마 수사학을 넘어서는 수사학의 독특한 적용과 효과에 대해 숙고했다. 

참으로 십자가에 못 박힌 그리스도는 하느님의 힘이요 지혜다. "나도 여러분에게 갔을 때에, 뛰어난 말이나 지혜로 하느님의 신비를 선포하려고 가지 않았습니다… 나는 예수 그리스도 곧 십자가에 못 박히신 분 외에는 아무것도 생각하지 않기로 결심하셨습니다. 사실 여러분에게 갔을 때에 나는 약했으며, 두렵고 또 무척 떨렸습니다. 나의 말과 나의 복음 선포는 지혜롭고 설득력 있는 언변으로 이루어진 것이 아니라, 성령의 힘을 드러내는 것으로 이루어졌습니다. 여러분의 믿음이 인간의 지혜가 아니라 하느님의 힘에 바탕을 두게 하려는 것이었습니다." (1코린토 2,1-5) 

바오로는 십자가에 못 박힌 그리스도를 통해 많은 사람에게 감동을 주었고 그들의 마음을 어루만지며 치유했다. 바오로는 개념이 아니라 인격적으로 설득력 있게 선포했다. 바오로는 십자가에 못 박힌 그리스도와 함께 사람들을 초대하여 하느님과 더 깊은 관계를 이루게 했다. 

공동체나 성당은 말이나 언변으로 가득한 수사학적 장소가 아니라 그리스도와 만나는 자리다. 그곳에서 우리는 신앙을 주고받고, 실천하고, 경험하고, 나누고 증거하며, 이를 통해 자애로운 사랑에서 우러나오는 행동을 구체적으로 실천한다. 

아만다 수녀가 쓴 논문을 읽으면서 나는 수녀님이 스스로 공부하여 터득한 것을 자신이 사는 공동체에서 얼마나 깊이 통합하려고 마음 쓰는지 느낄 수 있었다. 수녀님은 신학원에서 공부하는 동안 공동체적 의무나 자신에게 주어진 사도직을 소홀히 한 적이 없다. 성소 담당자로서 수녀님은 자신을 자랑하여 내세운 적이 없으며, 젊은이들을 대상으로 한 강의를 비롯하여 다양한 활동을 조직하는 일에도 적극적이고 열정적이다. 

“하느님의 말씀은 살아 있고 힘이 있으며 어떤 쌍날칼보다도 날카롭습니다. 그래서 사람 속을 꿰찔러 혼과 영을 가르고 관절과 골수를 갈라, 마음의 생각과 속셈을 가려냅니다”. (히브리 4,12) 

참으로 십자가의 말씀은 살아 있고 힘이 있어 마음의 생각과 속셈을 분별하게 한다.

https://mtorchid88.blogspot.com/2024/06/word-of-cross.html 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,