A piece of sunshine

Secret to good health 좋은 건강의 비결

Secret to good health

What is the secret to good health?

Getting vaccinated to protect ourselves from the dangers of COVID-19 is definitely on the top of everyone's minds these days. In fact, such a longing to be healthy has been a lifelong wish for people throughout history.

Gilgamesh, a hero in ancient Mesopotamian mythology, swam to the very depths of the sea in search of a magic plant (the herb of immortality). Knights of the Round Table in the legend of King Arthur went on a pilgrimage in search of the Holy Grail… We are constantly looking for something that can make us happy and healthy.

What exactly are the secrets to health? They are joy, love, gratitude, hope and a positive attitude towards life. Aside from these spiritual virtues, I would dare say the secret to health is exercising regularly every day, because we cannot do anything without a sound body.

Especially when we are living alone or living abroad, taking good care of ourselves is the most basic and important discipline in order to perform properly and efficiently at work.

Abbas Fr. Bartholomaeus Henneken, a German missionary of the Order of St. Benedict, who has lived in Korea for over 50 years, offers a good example of taking good care of ourselves. His hobbies are mountain biking and going for walks. As a result of such healthy activities, he appears altruistic, balanced, and peaceful.

To live happier and healthier lives, getting regular exercise is essential. Unless our bodies are sound and healthy, it's difficult to do things properly. Even a slight headache disrupts everything: I can't pray well. I can't concentrate on work efficiently.

Prof. Bae Chul-hyun, whose main area of research is Judeo-Christian and Ancient Near East religions, suggests three things to do every day: meditate, walk and keep a diary. I quite agree with these three activities that help us to concentrate on the present and do our best in each moment.

About a year ago, when I first felt pain in my back due to a weakened spine, I realized I had neglected regular exercise.

A doctor recommended that I exercise regularly, especially hiking in the mountains, to prevent further pain. On the way, I learned that the only solution that can compensate for physical weakness is to build and strengthen the muscles around the spine.

Since then, I have become very conscious about exercising regularly. Making use of my spare time, I make an effort to exercise to build up the muscles around my back.

Indeed, we can't do anything well when we are in a poor physical condition. Surely, taking good care of ourselves to be healthy and fit is the utmost and fundamental duty to maintain balance in life. Once we lose our balance in life, nothing will be merited.

Spending time gardening and carving have become my new routines. Sweating while walking or working gives me a sense of peace and joy and also makes me feel genuinely refreshed.

As our body grows gradually weaker, our lovely earth is also losing its vitality little by little. When the earth is not rich and fertile, the roots of a tree tend to grow increasingly twisted to search for water and to survive the harsh conditions. As we need regular exercises to keep the balance in life, the earth at present also needs much attention and balance.

좋은 건강의 비결

좋은 건강의 비결은 무엇일까? 

코로나 19의 위험에서 우리 자신을 보호하기 위해 예방 접종을 받는 것은 분명 요즘 모든 사람의 마음속 우선 사항이 되고 있다. 사실, 이처럼 건강해지려는 열망은 역사에 걸쳐 사람들의 평생 소원이었다.

고대 메소포타미아 신화의 영웅 길가메시는 마법의 식물(불로초)을 찾아 바다의 심연으로 헤엄쳐 갔다. 아서 왕 전설에 나오는 원탁의 기사들은 성배를 찾아 순례를 떠났다…. 우리는 우리를 행복하고 건강하게 해줄 무엇인가를 끊임없이 찾아 나선다. 

건강의 비결은 정확히 무엇일까? 그것은 기쁨, 사랑, 감사, 희망, 삶에 대한 긍정적 태도다. 이러한 영적 미덕 외에도 건강의 비결은 날마다 규칙적으로 운동하는 것이다. 건전한 몸이 없으면 아무것도 할 수 없기 때문이다.

특히 혼자 살거나 해외에서 살아갈 때, 자신을 잘 돌보는 것이 일터에서 적절하고 효율적으로 일하기 위한 가장 기본적이고 중요한 훈련이다.

성 베네딕토 수도회의 독일인 선교사 바르톨로메우스 헤네켄 아빠스 신부는 한국에 사신 지 50년이 넘었는데 자신을 잘 돌보는 좋은 표양을 보여준다. 신부님의 취미는 산악자전거와 산책이다. 이처럼 건강한 활동 덕분에 신부님은 이타적이고 균형 잡히며 평온하게 보인다.

더 행복하고 건강하게 살아가려면 규칙적인 운동이 필수적이다. 우리 몸이 건전하고 건강하지 않으면 일을 제대로 하기 어렵다. 심지어 머리가 조금만 아파도 모든 것을 방해한다. 기도를 잘 할 수 없고, 일에 효율적으로 집중할 수도 없다.

주요 연구 분야가 유다-그리스도교와 고대 근동 종교학인 배철현 교수는 우리가 날마다 해야 할 세 가지를 제안한다. 곧 묵상, 산책, 일기 쓰기다. 지금 이 순간에 집중하며 순간순간 최선을 다하는 데 도움이 되는 이 세 가지 활동에 전적으로 동의한다.

1년 전쯤 척추가 약해져 허리 통증을 처음 느꼈을 때 나는 규칙적인 운동을 소홀히 했음을 깨달았다.

의사 선생님은 더 많은 통증을 예방하려면 정기적으로 운동하라고, 특히 등산하라고 권했다. 그 과정에서 나는 신체적 약점을 보완할 수 있는 유일한 해결책은 척추 주변 근육을 만들어 강화하는 것임을 배웠다.

그 이래 나는 규칙적으로 운동하는 것을 매우 깊이 의식하게 되었다. 그래서 나는 여가를 활용하여 허리 근육을 강화하기 위해 운동한다.

참으로 우리는 몸 상태가 좋지 않으면 그 무엇도 제대로 할 수 없다. 확실히, 건강하게 좋은 상태를 유지하도록 자신을 잘 돌보는 것은 삶의 균형을 유지하기 위한 가장 근본적인 의무다. 삶의 균형을 잃어버리면 그 무엇도 가치를 지니지 못한다.

시간을 내어 정원을 가꾸며 조각하는 것이 나의 새로운 일상이 되었다. 걷거나 일하면서 땀을 흘리면 평화와 기쁨을 느끼며 참으로 상쾌해짐을 느낄 수 있다.

우리 몸이 점점 약해지면서 우리의 사랑스러운 지구도 조금씩 활력을 잃고 있다. 땅이 풍요롭고 비옥하지 않을 때 나무뿌리는 물을 찾으며 가혹한 조건에서 살아남기 위해 점점 더 뒤틀리며 뻗어가는 경향이 있다. 삶의 균형을 유지하기 위해 규칙적인 운동이 필요한 것처럼 현재 지구도 많은 관심과 균형이 필요하다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,