A piece of sunshine

<영어 에세이> DNA

DNA

Our gardens turn beautiful with various sprouts, buds and flowers in spring. It is really marvelous and refreshing to take a walk around the gardens. Without fail, all kinds of buds bloom spontaneously thanks to the sunshine, water, wind, manure and Earth.

In particular, perennial root plants like the daffodil, daylily, hyacinth, tulip, barberry, forsythia, violet, bridal wreath, crocus, azalea and cherry blossom among others never forget their driving forces to be born again with creative vitality. It is so mysterious and joyful to see the sprouts rising from the ground and the buds coming out of the branches.

Each flower blooms according to its genetic traits. Thus, the colors, the smells, the features and the leaves are diverse and unique as well.

"DNA" is something like a genetic source or origin. According to online definitions, DNA (DeoxyriboNucleic Acid) is a double-helix molecule structure that contains unique genetic information including some instructions for a living organism to develop, grow, live and reproduce.

As in nature, it is very interesting to see the movement of DNA in our human existence. Thanks to DNA, siblings can resemble one another, but each personality or temperament is unique and colorful.

In my family, I and my second elder sister look a lot like each other in our physical appearances. Some people even confuse us, but the personality of my second sister is much more sociable, extroverted and positive.

As I take care of the gardens, I am realizing that my predisposition towards caring for nature originally comes from my parents: my father was a carpenter and my mother was a farmer. Naturally, my creative interest and enjoyable preference for flowers and trees originated from my family.

Because of my father being a carpenter, there were always various carpenter tools and wood chips at home. Wood chips were my toys; I used to carry some of them in a basket to play with on the elementary school grounds in the village.

Even now, it is such a great joy for me to saw pine branches to make a flowerbed fence. I also like to collect little pebbles to arrange in the flowerbeds.

Nobody ever taught me how to saw wood, plant flowers, arrange gardens or weed, but it is enjoyable for me to do this. It is clear that a particular creative sensibility is flowing spontaneously in my blood and in my body. That is how my individual DNA functions and operates in me.

My nature-loving personality helps me to have a good, creative, simple and positive point of view in life. Especially as a sister who belongs to the religious congregation of the Daughters of Saint Paul, my spiritual DNA is that of Saint Paul, who said, "It is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me" (Galatians 2:20).

In the beginning when our congregation was founded, people called our sisters by the name, "Pauline," meaning the daughters of Saint Paul. So, the name of our congregation became the "Daughters of Saint Paul (Figlie di San Paolo)".

As a result, having been educated and living in the convent, I am eager to live, witness, and proclaim Jesus as the Way, the Truth and the Life, which has become our spiritual DNA to follow.

DNA

봄이면 우리 정원은 다양한 새싹과 봉오리와 꽃으로 아름답게 변한다. 정원을 따라 산책하는 것은 참으로 경이롭고 상쾌하다. 햇살과 물과 바람, 거름과 흙 덕분에 갖가지 새싹이 어김없이 자연스럽게 피어난다. 

특히, 수선화, 원추리, 옥잠화, 히아신스, 튤립, 산수유, 개나리, 제비꽃, 조팝나무, 진달래, 철쭉, 벚꽃과 같은 여러해살이뿌리 식물들은 창의적인 활력으로 거듭 새로 나는 역동적인 힘을 잊어버리는 법이 없다. 땅에서 솟아오르는 새싹과 가지에서 움트는 봉오리를 보는 것은 무척 신비롭고 기쁘기만 하다.

각 꽃은 저마다 고유한 유전자적 특성에 따라 피어난다. 그래서 색과 향기, 모양과 잎이 다양하고 독특하다. 

“DNA”는 유전적 근원 또는 기원과 같다. 온라인 정의에 따르면 DNA(DeoxyriboNucleic Acid: 데옥시리보핵산)는 살아있는 유기체가 발달, 성장, 생존, 번식하기 위한 몇 가지 지침이 들어 있는 고유한 유전자 정보를 포함하는 이중 나선 구조로 된 고분자 화합물이다.

자연에서처럼 우리 인간 존재 안에 있는 DNA의 움직임을 바라보는 것은 무척 흥미진진하다. DNA 덕분에 형제자매들은 서로 닮을 수 있지만, 각각의 성격이나 기질은 고유하고 다채롭다.

내 가족 가운데 나와 둘째 언니의 외모가 서로 무척 많이 닮았다. 어떤 사람들은 우리를 보고 혼동하기도 하지만, 둘째 언니의 성품이 훨씬 사교적이고 외향적이며 긍정적이다.

나는 정원을 돌보면서 자연을 가꾸는 성향이 원래 나의 부모님에게서 비롯되었음을 깨닫는다. 나의 아버지는 목수이셨고 어머니는 농부이셨다. 자연적으로 꽃과 나무들에 대한 나의 창의적인 관심과 즐거워하는 마음은 내 가족에서 비롯된 것이다.

아버지가 목수이셨기에 집 안에는 언제나 다양한 목수 연장과 나무토막이 있었고, 그 나무토막들은 내 장난감이었다. 나는 바구니에 나무토막을 넣어 마을 초등학교 운동장에 가서 놀곤 했다.

지금도 나는 소나무 가지를 톱질하여 화단 울타리를 만드는 것을 무척 좋아한다. 또한, 작은 조약돌을 모아 화단에 배열하는 것도 좋아한다.

나무를 톱질하고 꽃을 심으며 정원을 가꾸거나 잡초 뽑는 것을 나에게 가르쳐 준 사람은 아무도 없었지만, 그런 일들이 마냥 즐겁기만 하다. 특별한 창의적 감성이 내 피와 내 몸속에 저절로 흐르고 있는 것이 분명하다. 이렇게 내 개인의 DNA가 내 안에서 작용하며 활동한다.

자연을 사랑하는 나의 성격은 삶 가운데 선하고 창의적이며 단순하고 긍정적인 관점을 지니도록 나를 도와준다. 특히 성바오로딸수도회에 속한 수녀로서 나의 영적 DNA는 “이제는 내가 사는 것이 아니라 그리스도께서 내 안에 사시는 것입니다”(갈라 2,20)라고 말한 성 바오로의 DNA이다.

우리 수도회가 처음 설립되었을 때 사람들은 우리 수녀님들을 보고 “바울리네(바오로딸)”라는 이름으로 불렀다. 이는 성 바오로의 딸들이라는 뜻이다. 그래서 우리 수도회의 이름이 “성바오로딸수도회”가 되었다.

결국 수녀원에서 교육을 받고 생활하면서 나는 우리가 따라야 할 영적 DNA가 된 길 진리 생명이신 예수님을 살고 증거하며 전하고자 한다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,