A piece of sunshine

The benefits of fasting 단식의 혜택

The benefits of fasting   단식의 혜택

Many people are interested in the following questions: How to achieve weight loss? How to burn fat quickly? How to cleanse and detox the body? How to build a healthier lifestyle? How to gain more energy? How to lower blood sugar, cholesterol, or blood pressure?

Naturally, we are looking for some effective ways to solve these problems. One of the solutions towards this often elusive quality of life which we seek, might be intermittent fasting which is the practice of alternating periods of fasting and eating.

Much more than just our state of health, are more fundamental and spiritual questions relating to our existence: Who am I? What do I want? How do I want to live? Will I continue to live like this? Do I want to change? Where am I going? Do I need a turning point? What is the meaning of life?

“Fasten_Zeit fur mich” (“Fasting: Time for me”) written by Peter Muller has been recently translated into Korean. Peter Muller has dedicated himself for 25 years to become an expert in fasting as well as a guide to the Camino de Santiago pilgrimage route of northern Spain.

This practical guide to the concept of fasting examines its true meaning and specifically that of intermittent fasting as a holistic way to health in the first part of the book. The second part of the book introduces the seven week program of fasting.

How to have time for myself while fasting spontaneously? How to take care of myself? Seven-week spiritual programs to fasting invite us to see the self behind the mask, to have time for the self, to purify the self, to have a silent moment, to use fasting as a source of energy, to meet God, and to be flexible.

The Bible introduces the meaning and the method of fasting in various ways. The main reasons for fasting in the Old Testament are atonement and supplication. Fasting can lead to inner repentance, change, and intimate communion with God, it can provide a deeper way of practicing “mercy” in life (Matthew 9:13; Tobit 4:8).

Such wise people as Pythagoras, Socrates and Plato believed that “fasting improves the brain.” Hippocrates also mentioned the healing power of fasting. Thus, in our history of life, fasting has been a common topic among people who want to be healthier and wiser in the body, the mind, and the spirit.

Saint Athanasius of Alexandria (c. 295―373 A.D.) said: “Fasting cures disease, removes the leftover moisture in the body, drives out the evil spirit and foolish thoughts, clears the mind and the heart, makes the body holy, and leads us to the presence of God.”

Saint Benedictus of Nursia (c. 480―547 A.D.) also talked about the importance of fasting in “Regular Benedicti” (The Rule of Saint Benedict).

Otto Buchinger (1878―1966) was the first German doctor who emphasized the healing power of fasting for health. Since then, many people have put into practice intermittent fasting.

As Moses fasted for 40 days on Mount Sinai, Jesus also fasted for 40 days in the desert before returning to normal life. Following the footsteps of their lives, we also make efforts to fast, especially during the Lenten season. We believe that fasting is a sign of breakthrough or a new beginning of life.

“When you keep quiet, fast often, pray, and stay calm, you will see who you are and the meaning of life.”

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ January 10 (online), 11 (offline), 2022-

많은 사람이 다음과 같은 물음에 관심이 있다. 어떻게 하면 체중을 줄이지? 어떻게 하면 지방을 빨리 태우지? 어떻게 하면 몸을 정화하고 해독하지? 어떻게 하면 더 건강한 생활방식을 이루지? 어떻게 하면 더 많은 에너지를 얻지? 어떻게 하면 혈당, 콜레스테롤 또는 혈압을 낮추지?

그래서 우리는 이러한 문제들을 해결할 수 있는 몇 가지 효과적인 방법을 찾아 나선다. 우리가 추구하지만 흔히 얻기 어려운 삶의 질을 향한 해결책 가운데 하나는 단식과 식사를 교대로 하는 ‘간헐적 단식’일 수 있다.

단순히 우리의 건강 상태보다 더 중요한 것은 우리 존재와 관련된, 더 본질적이고 영적인 물음들이다. 나는 누구인가? 나는 무엇을 바라는가? 나는 어떻게 살고 싶은가? 계속 이렇게 살 것인가? 나는 변화를 바라는가? 나는 어디로 가는가? 나에게 전환점이 필요한가? 삶의 의미는 무엇인가?

페터 뮐러(Peter Müller)가 쓴 “단식: 나를 위한 시간”(Fasten_Zeit für mich)이 최근 한국어로 번역되었다. 페터 뮐러는 25년 동안 단식 전문가이자 스페인 북부 카미노 데 산티아고 순례길 가이드로 헌신했다.

‘단식’의 개념을 다룬 실용적 가이드인 이 책의 첫 부분은 단식의 참된 의미, 특히 건강에 이르는 전인적 방법으로 간헐적 단식의 의미를 살펴본다. 이 책의 두 번째 부분은 7주간에 이르는 단식 프로그램을 소개한다.

어떻게 하면 자발적으로 단식하면서 나를 위한 시간을 가질 수 있을까? 어떻게 하면 나 자신을 돌볼 수 있을까? 단식을 위한 7주간의 영적 프로그램은 우리가 가면 뒤에 있는 자아를 보고, 자기 시간을 갖고, 자아를 정화하고, 고요한 시간을 갖고, 단식을 에너지 원천으로 활용하고, 하느님을 만나며 유연하게 대처하도록 초대한다.

성경은 단식의 의미와 방법을 다양하게 소개한다. 구약에서 단식을 하는 주 요인은 속죄와 간청이다. 단식은 내적 회개, 변화, 하느님과의 내밀한 친교로 이어질 수 있으며 삶에서 ‘자비’를 실천하는 훨씬 심층적인 방법을 제공할 수 있다(마태 9,13; 토빗 4,8).

피타고라스, 소크라테스, 플라톤과 같은 현자들은 “단식은 두뇌를 향상시킨다”고 믿었다. 히포크라테스 또한 단식의 치유력에 대해 언급했다. 이처럼 우리 삶의 역사에서 단식은 몸과 마음과 정신이 더 건강하고 지혜로워지기를 바라는 사람들이 다룬 공통 주제였다.

알렉산드리아의 성 아타나시오(295~373년)는 이렇게 말했다. “단식은 질병을 고치고 몸 안에 남아도는 수분을 없애고 악한 정신을 몰아내고 어리석은 생각을 쫓아내며 정신과 마음을 맑게 하고 몸을 거룩하게 하며 하느님의 현존 앞으로 이끈다.”

누르시아의 성 베네딕토(480~547년) 또한 “성 베네딕도 규칙서”에서 단식의 중요성에 대해 이야기했다.

오토 부힝거(1878~1966)는 건강을 위한 단식의 치유력을 강조한 최초의 독일 의사다. 그 이후 많은 사람이 간헐적 단식을 실천했다.

모세가 시나이산에서 40일 동안 단식한 것처럼 예수님도 광야에서 40일 동안 단식한 다음 일상으로 돌아갔다. 그 삶의 발자취를 따라 우리는 특히 사순 시기 동안 단식하기 위해 노력한다. 우리는 단식이 삶의 돌파구 또는 새로운 시작의 표징이라고 믿는다.

“조용히 침묵하면서 자주 단식하고 기도하고 평온하게 지내면 자신의 모습과 삶의 의미가 보일 걸세.” 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,