A piece of sunshine

Two wolves in our hearts 마음속 두 마리 늑대

‘Two wolves in our hearts’

Listening to the election campaign, the fable of the two wolves in our hearts comes to my mind:

A grandfather was sitting by a campfire with his grandson. They talked about God, the world and human beings. After a moment's silence, the grandfather said, “Shall I tell you how I feel sometimes? It is like two wolves fighting each other in my heart. One wolf is aggressive, cheeky, excitable, always looking for his own strengths and trying to be the best. The other wolf, on the other hand, is quiet, calm, compassionate, empathetic and kind.”

After a while, the grandson asked, “Which wolf will win the fight?” The grandfather remained silent for a while, then looked at his grandson and said, “The wolf I feed with thoughts, words, emotions and actions wins.”

This story originally belongs to the Cherokee tribe, saying that “In my heart, there are two wolves: a wolf of love and a wolf of hate. It all depends on which one I feed each day.”

As the story of the two wolves in our hearts clearly implies the duality we all possess, we have “a wolf of love and a wolf of hate” in our hearts. A wolf of love represents empathy, compassion, kindness, joy, hope, humility, generosity, faith, calmness, charity, truth and peace. A wolf of hate represents ill will, disdain, aggression, jealousy, sadness, regret, greed, inferiority, false self-respect, selfishness, pride, envy, fear, deceit, etc. It all depends on which one we feed each day.

Talking about “sin and death,” Saint Paul the apostle confessed our duality in Romans 7: 15-23:

“What I do, I do not understand. For I do not do what I want, but I do what I hate… For I know that good does not dwell in me, that is, in my flesh. The willing is ready at hand, but doing the good is not. For I do not do the good I want, but I do the evil I do not want. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. So, then, I discover the principle that when I want to do right, evil is at hand. For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self, but I see in my members another principle at war with the law of my mind...”

Why do we tend to be more negative? Why do negative emotions come first in our hearts?

It is said that 70 percent of our instinctive expressions come from negative emotions such as fear, jealousy, sadness, criticism, competition, comparison, etc. Among these, there are only two positive emotions: love and joy.

That is why it is easier to feel, think and express something in a critical, judging and negative way.

Then, what shall we do to prevent our hearts from reacting in a negative way?

The first thing to consider in order to be positive is to acknowledge and to be conscious of our duality. As many psychologists and spiritual directors emphasize, acknowledging and accepting reality as it is without defending it is the first step in dealing with our duality.

The second important countermeasure is to have the attitude of giving thanks. Being grateful can transform our mindsets to be more positive.

- The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ March 1 (online), 2 (offline), 2022 -  

마음속 두 마리 늑대

선거 운동에 귀 기울이다 보면 우리 마음속에 있는 두 마리 늑대 이야기가 떠오른다.

한 할아버지가 손자와 함께 모닥불 가에 앉아 있었다. 그들은 하느님과 세상과 인간에 대해 이야기했다. 잠시 침묵이 흐른 다음 할아버지가 말했다. “내가 가끔 어떤 기분이 드는지 말해줄까? 마치 내 마음속에서 두 마리 늑대가 서로 싸우는 기분이야. 한 마리는 공격적이고 건방지고 흥분을 잘하며, 늘 자기 장점만 찾으며 최고가 되려 하지. 그와 달리 다른 한 마리는 조용하고 침착하고 연민이 많고 공감하며 친절해.”

잠시 후 손자가 물었다 “그 싸움에서 어떤 늑대가 이겨요?” 할아버지는 한동안 침묵하더니 손자를 바라보며 말했다. “내가 생각과 말과 감정과 행동으로 먹이를 주는 늑대가 이기지.”

이 이야기는 본디 체로키 인디언 족의 우화다. “내 마음속에는 두 마리 늑대, 곧 착한 늑대(사랑의 늑대)와 나쁜 늑대(미움의 늑대)가 있다. 내가 날마다 어떤 늑대에게 먹이를 주느냐에 따라 모든 것이 달려 있다.”

우리 마음속 두 마리 늑대 이야기가 우리 모두가 지닌 이중성을 뚜렷이 암시하듯, 우리 마음속에는 “사랑의 늑대와 미움의 늑대”가 있다. 사랑의 늑대(착한 늑대)는 공감, 연민, 친절, 기쁨, 희망, 겸손, 관대함, 믿음, 평온함, 자선, 진실, 평화를 나타낸다. 미움의 늑대(나쁜 늑대)는 악의, 경멸, 공격성, 질투, 슬픔, 후회, 탐욕, 열등감, 거짓 자존심, 이기심, 교만, 시기, 두려움, 속임수 등을 나타낸다. 우리가 날마다 어떤 늑대에게 먹이를 주느냐에 따라 모든 것이 달려 있다.

사도 성 바오로는 로마서 7장 15-23절에서 “죄와 죽음”에 대해 이야기하면서 우리의 이중성을 고백했다.

“나는 내가 하는 것을 이해하지 못합니다. 나는 내가 바라는 것을 하지 않고 오히려 내가 싫어하는 것을 합니다. … 사실 내 안에, 곧 내 육 안에 선이 자리 잡고 있지 않음을 나는 압니다. 나에게 원의가 있기는 하지만 그 좋은 것을 하지는 못합니다. 선을 바라면서도 하지 못하고, 악을 바라지 않으면서도 그것을 하고 맙니다. 그래서 내가 바라지 않는 것을 하면, 그 일을 하는 것은 더 이상 내가 아니라 내 안에 자리 잡은 죄입니다. 여기에서 나는 법칙을 발견합니다. 내가 좋은 것을 하기를 바라는데도 악이 바로 내 곁에 있다는 것입니다. 나의 내적 인간은 하느님의 법을 두고 기뻐합니다. 그러나 내 지체 안에는 다른 법이 있어 내 이성의 법과 대결하고 있음을 나는 봅니다….”

왜 우리는 더 부정적으로 기울어지는 걸까? 왜 부정적인 감정이 우리 마음에 먼저 떠오르는 걸까?

우리가 지닌 본능적 표현의 70퍼센트는 두려움, 질투, 슬픔, 비판, 경쟁, 비교 등과 같은 부정적 감정에서 나온다고 한다. 본능적 표현 가운데 긍정적 감정을 지닌 표현은 사랑과 기쁨 두 가지뿐이다.

그래서인지 무엇인가를 비판적으로 판단하며 부정적으로 느끼고 생각하며 표현하는 것이 더 쉽다.

우리 마음이 부정적으로 반응하지 않게 하려면 어떻게 해야 할까?

긍정적이 되기 위해 가장 먼저 고심해야 할 것은 우리가 지닌 이중성을 인정하고 의식하는 것이다. 많은 심리학자와 영적 지도자들이 강조하듯, 현실을 방어하지 않고 있는 그대로 인정하고 받아들이는 것은 우리의 이중성을 다루는 첫 단계다.

두 번째로 중요한 대안은 감사하는 태도를 지니는 것이다. 감사하는 마음은 우리의 사고방식이 더 긍정적이 되도록 변화시킬 수 있다. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,