A piece of sunshine

‘ It’s OK ’ “괜찮아”

‘ It’s OK ’

One of my old friends passed me a video clip on Jane Kristen Marczewski, who passed away at age 31 last month in San Clemente, California.

It was about her original song, “It’s OK,” which she performed for America's Got Talent, a popular NBC program, in June 2021. Her authentic story of transforming her suffering into hope touched the judges and viewers alike and gave much courage and inspiration to people around the world. Simon Cowell gave her a “Golden Buzzer” during her performance.

“It’s OK” is about the story of the last year of Marczewski’s life dealing with cancer. The lyrics are as follows:

“I moved to California in the summertime.
I changed my name thinking that it would change my mind.
I thought that all my problems would stay behind.
I was a stick of dynamite and it just was a matter of time, yeah.
Oh dang, oh my, now I can’t hide.
Said I knew myself but I guess I lied.
It’s OK. It’s OK. It’s OK. It’s OK.
If you’re lost, we’re all a little lost and it’s all right.
It’s all right. It’s all right. It’s all right ...
I wrote a hundred pages but I burned them all.
I blow through yellow lights and don’t look back at all …
Don’t know why I take the tight rope and cry when I fall …
It’s alright to be lost sometimes.”

Marczewski was born in Zanesville, Ohio, in 1990. She had three siblings and started to write song lyrics at age six. She volunteered to participate in various church ministries. She studied communications and graduated from Liberty University in 2013.

She enjoyed singing, and her professional name was “Nightbirde.” She pondered the birds singing outside her window at night in anticipation of the morning. She had her first live performance in 2011 and played acoustic guitar in a style mixing folk and pop.

When she married musician Jeremy Claudio in 2014, she moved to Nashville, Tennessee, in 2015 and gave up singing for three years.

By the time she suffered from breast cancer in 2017, Claudio had left her. Nevertheless, she overcame her cancer in 2018, but she later found out that the cancer had metastasized to her lungs, spine and liver in 2019. In the end, she was given three to six months to live with only a 2-percent chance of survival.

She moved to Long Beach, California, and made up her mind to renew her singing activities in order to be truly happy. She sang hope in the midst of darkness. In spite of all the struggles, she had her bright smile, shining face, beautiful glow and encouraging words.

When she passed the auditions, she was happy to brighten the eyes of people around the world. She had her faith in Jesus Christ as well as a sense of humor that made her go beyond her difficult situation and limitations of life.

She eventually passed away, but she still inspires lots of people through her music.

“It is important that everybody knows that I am so much more than the bad things that happen to me.”

“I had a 2-percent chance of survival, but 2 percent is not 0 percent. Two percent is something, and I wish for people to know how amazing it is.”

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore before you decide to be happy.”

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ March 20 (online), 21 (offline), 2022-

“ 괜찮아 ”

옛 친구 하나가 지난 달 캘리포니아 샌클레멘테에서 31세의 나이로 세상을 떠난 제인 크리스틴 마르크제프스키에 대한 비디오 클립을 전해주었다.

그 영상은 2021년 6월, NBC 공개 오디션 프로그램인 “아메리카 갓 탤런트America's Got Talent”에서 부른 제인의 오리지널 곡 “괜찮아”에 대한 것이었다. 자신의 고통을 희망으로 바꾼 진솔한 이야기는 심사위원들과 시청자들을 감동시켰고 온 세상 사람들에게 많은 용기와 영감을 주었다. 사이먼 코엘은 공연 가운데 제인에게 "골든 버저Golden Buzzer"를 주었다.

“괜찮아”는 암투병 중이던 마르크제프스키의 생애 마지막 해의 이야기를 담은 노래인데, 가사는 다음과 같다.

“여름에 캘리포니아로 이사했어요.
이름을 바꾸면 마음도 바뀔 것 같아 내 이름을 바꾸었지요.
내 모든 문제가 더는 나를 따라오지 않으리라 생각했어요.
내 인생은 마치 시한폭탄과 같아 모든 것이 시간 문제였어요.
아, 이런, 이젠 숨길 수도 없어요.
나는 나 자신을 안다고 말했지만 거짓말한 것 같아요
그래도 괜찮아, 괜찮아, 괜찮아, 괜찮아.
당신이 지금 길을 잃었다면 우리도 마찬가지에요.
그러니 괜찮아, 괜찮아, 괜찮아......
백 페이지가 넘는 글을 썼지만 모두 태워버렸어요.
노란 불빛을 뚫고 지나가더라도 뒤돌아보지 않으면 되요……
나는 왜 팽팽한 밧줄을 잡아당기다 넘어지면 우는지 몰라요……
가끔은 길을 잃어도 괜찮아요.”

마르크제프스키는 1990년 오하이오 주 제네스빌에서 태어났다. 제인에게는 세 형제자매들이 있었고, 제인은 6살 때 노래 가사를 쓰기 시작했다. 제인은 다양한 교회 봉사활동에 자원하여 참여했고, 커뮤니케이션을 공부한 다음 2013년 리버티 대학Liberty University을 졸업했다.

제인은 노래하는 것을 즐겼고 예명은 "나이트버드Nightbirde"였다. 제인은 밤에 아침을 기다리며 창 밖에서 지저귀는 새들을 곰곰이 되새겼다. 제인은 2011년에 첫 라이브 공연을 했고 포크와 팝을 혼합한 스타일로 어쿠스틱 기타를 연주했다.

2014년, 음악가 제레미 클라우디오와 결혼한 다음, 2015년에 테네시 주 내슈빌로 이주했으며 3년 동안 노래를 그만 두었다.

그런데 2017년 제인이 유방암에 걸려 고생할 무렵 클라우디오는 그 곁을 떠났다. 그럼에도 제인은 2018년 암을 이겨냈으나 2019년에 암이 폐와 척추와 간에 전이된 것을 뒤늦게 발견했다.

캘리포니아 롱비치로 옮겨간 제인은 참으로 행복하기 위해 노래 활동을 재개하기로 마음먹고 어둠 속에서 희망을 노래했다. 온갖 어려움에도 제인은 밝은 미소와 환한 얼굴과 아름다운 빛을 지녔고 격려하는 말을 건넸다.

제인은 오디션에 합격했을 때 온 세상 사람들의 눈길을 비추며 행복해했다. 제인은 예수 그리스도께 대한 믿음과 유머 감각을 지녔기에 자신이 처한 어려운 상황과 삶의 한계를 뛰어넘었다.

제인은 마침내 세상을 떠났지만 제인의 음악은 여전히 많은 사람에게 영감을 준다.

"저에게 일어나는 나쁜 일보다 제가 훨씬 더 소중하다는 것을 모든 사람이 아는 것이 중요합니다."

"지금 저의 생존 확률은 2퍼센트입니다. 그런데 2퍼센트는 0퍼센트가 아닙니다. 2퍼센트는 무언가를 말합니다. 저는 사람들이 무언가 남아있다는 그 사실이 얼마나 놀라운지 알았으면 좋겠습니다."

“인생이 쉬워질 때까지 기다릴 수 없습니다. 내가 먼저 행복해지기로 결심해야 합니다.” 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,