A piece of sunshine

Remembering Cardinal Kim Sou-hwan 김수환 추기경을 기억하며

Remembering Cardinal Kim Sou-hwan

This year, I celebrated the 25th anniversary of my first profession. Looking back at each step is just moving. The journey that God has led me on so far is amazing. I have to confess that everything is a gift and a miracle of God’s grace.

On the day before celebrating the 25th anniversary Mass, a senior sister from the Gwangsan Kim clan that I come from gave me a photo of Cardinal Sou-hwan Kim smiling gently, saying that he is also from the Gwangsan Kim clan.

His words are written on the photo: “The truly wealthy are not the rich. He is a person who knows how to give himself abundantly and generously. The one whose heart is full of love, and thus the one who is generous, tolerant and compassionate toward others … That person is truly wealthy.”

In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Cardinal Stephen Sou-hwan Kim (1922-2009), “The Saint Who Came by Our Side” was recently published with the subtitle, “The story of Cardinal Sou-hwan Kim who gives people happiness”.

As a collection of 19 essays in three chapters (“The love I miss even in my dreams,” “The saint who came to our side,” “The journey from head to heart”), written by 19 acquaintances, the book depicts a portrait of the cardinal smiling brightly and simply. Each article reveals that the cardinal was a humble and compassionate leader, genuinely being together with the poor and marginalized.

Born in Daegu, as the youngest of five sons and three daughters, Cardinal Kim wanted to get married to have a family, but he walked the path of a priest with a longing for God that grew deep in his heart.

The nine virtues that the cardinal had in his mind continuously are truly impressive:

1. Words: If you talk a lot, unnecessary words come out. Listen a lot with both ears, and open your mouth after thinking three times.

2. Books (reading): Spend one percent of your income on books. Clothes become unwearable when they are worn out, but books hold great value over time.

3. Street vendors: When buying things from street vendors, don’t cut the price down. If you buy, as they say, you can give them hope and health.

4. Laughter: Make laughing a habit. Laughter is a preventative medicine and a cure for all diseases. It rejuvenates the old.

5. Television (“idiot box”): Don’t spend much time watching television. When you’re drunk, you lose your mind, and when you’re on drugs, you become a paralyzed idiot.

6. Getting angry (anger): An angry person always loses. An angry person kills himself and others, and no one comes near him. So he is always lonely.

7. Prayer: Prayer is a ray of light that melts even rusty metal and removes the darkness of the millennium’s dark cave. A person who prays with both hands together is stronger than a tight fist.

8. Neighbors: Never turn your back on neighbors. They are a big mirror that reflects yourself.

9. Love (charity): Love done with the head and the mouth has no fragrance. True love is preceded by understanding, generosity, tolerance, assimilation and humility.

The Cardinal once said that it took 70 years for love to come down from head to heart. All of his sayings are based on love. “Thank you. Love one another!” were his last words.

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ June 12 (online), 13 (offline), 2022- 

김수환 추기경을 기억하며

올해, 나는 첫 서원 25주년을 기념했다. 지나온 걸음을 돌아보는 것은 감동적이기만 하다. 지금까지 하느님께서 이끌어주신 여정은 경이롭다. 모든 것이 하느님의 선물이요 기적임을 고백하지 않을 수 없다.

첫 서원 25주년 기념 미사를 드리기 전날, 나와 같은 광산 김씨이신 선배 수녀님이 김수환 추기경도 광산 김씨라며 온화하게 웃음 짓고 계신 추기경님 사진을 주셨다.

그 사진에는 “참으로 부유한 사람은 많이 가진 사람이 아닙니다. 풍족하게 아낌없이 자신을 줄 줄 아는 사람입니다. 마음이 사랑으로 가득 찬 사람, 그리하여 남에게 후하고 관대하고 자비심이 많은 사람, 그 사람이 진실로 부유한 사람입니다”라는 추기경님의 말씀이 적혀 있다.

김수환 스테파노 추기경 탄생 100주년(1922-2009)을 기념하여 “사람에게 행복을 주는 김수환 추기경 이야기”라는 부제가 달린 「우리 곁에 왔던 성자」가 최근에 출간되었다.

모두 3장(“꿈속에서도 그리운 님”, “우리 곁에 왔던 성자”, “머리에서 가슴으로의 여행”)에 걸쳐 소개된 19편의 에세이를 담은 이 책은 밝고 단순하게 웃음 지으시는 추기경의 자화상을 그리고 있다. 글 한 편 한 편은 김수환 추기경이 겸손하고 자애로운 지도자로서 가난하고 소외 받는 사람들과 진심으로 함께했음을 드러낸다.

대구에서 5남 3녀 가운데 막내로 태어난 김 추기경은 결혼하여 가정을 이루고 싶은 마음이 있었으나 마음속 깊은 데서 움튼 하느님께 대한 그리움으로 사제의 길을 걸었다.

추기경이 마음에 품고 살았던 9가지 덕목은 참으로 인상적이다.

1. 말: 말을 많이 하면 필요 없는 말이 나온다. 두 귀로 많이 듣고, 입은 세 번 생각한 뒤 열어라.

2. 책(독서): 수입의 1퍼센트를 책을 사는 데 써라. 옷은 해지면 입을 수 없어 버리지만 책은 시간이 지나도 위대한 값을 품고 있다.

3. 노점상: 노점상에서 물건을 살 때 깎지 말라. … 부르는 대로 주고 사면 희망과 건강을 선사하는 것이다.

4. 웃음: 웃는 연습을 생활화하라. 웃음은 만병의 예방약이며 치료약이다. 노인을 젊게 한다….

5. 텔레비전(바보상자): 텔레비전과 많은 시간을 함께하지 말라. 술에 취하면 정신을 잃고 마약에 취하면 모든 게 마비된 바보가 된다.

6. 성냄(화): 화내는 사람은 언제나 손해를 본다. 화내는 사람은 자기를 죽이고 남을 죽이며 아무도 가까이 오지 않아서 늘 외롭고 쓸쓸하다.

7. 기도: 기도는 녹슨 쇳덩이도 녹이며 천년 암흑 동굴의 어둠을 없애는 한 줄기 빛이다. 주먹은 불끈 쥐기보다 두 손을 모으고 기도하는 사람이 강하다.

8. 이웃: 이웃과 절대로 등지지 말라. 이웃은 내 모습을 비추어 보는 큰 거울이다….

9. 사랑(자선): 머리와 입으로 하는 사랑에는 향기가 없다. 진정한 사랑은 이해, 관용, 포용, 동화, 자기 낮춤이 선행된다.

추기경은 사랑이 머리에서 가슴으로 내려오는 데 칠십 년이 걸렸다고 말씀하신 적이 있다. 추기경의 모든 가르침은 사랑에 바탕을 두고 있다. “고맙습니다. 서로 사랑하세요!”는 그가 남긴 마지막 말이다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,