A piece of sunshine

Go and do likewise! 가서 너도 그렇게 하여라!

“Go and do likewise!”

Just one year after being sent to the Diocese of Wonju, I was given another mission to go on a mission to the United States.

In the meantime, I had graceful life experiences in many ways. Recently on the last mission in Gangwon Province, I prepared 20 minutes homily with the help of the generous consideration of the parish priest at the Hupyeongdong Catholic Church.

The Gospel message for the 15th Sunday of the year was about the Good Samaritan. So I took the theme of “Go and do likewise”(Luke 10:37).

While preparing the homily, I discovered that the pastoral letter of the Chuncheon Diocese is indeed an active and urgent response to the climate crisis. The seal of the Chuncheon Diocese with the mountains, rivers and seas engraved is really beautiful. It is touching to see all the church members trying to restore the natural environment while living the Words of God with one heart.

The theme of the pastoral letter of the Chuncheon Diocese for 2022 is “iving the Words and the 7-year journey of ‘Laudato si.’” The practice tables for environmental recovery and for living the Words contain a commitment to save the earth called “the common house” in accordance with the spirit of integrated ecology. Everybody is shouting, “Let us start now!” for the poor, the aching planet and a sustainable world.

The Words of God are so close to us that we can put them into practice every day, but sometimes their meaning is barely visible to our eyes because our hearts are not wide open but stubborn.

The parable of the Good Samaritan in the Gospel of Luke (10:25-37) tells us the secret of putting God’s Words into practice. The secret is to be considerate, generous and dedicated to helping those in need.

“The Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them. Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.’” (Luke 10:33-35)

During the 11 a.m. Mass, I asked people: “If the Lord gives the Good Samaritan a reward today, who will it be given to?” Then, I heard one answer saying, “It’s our priest.” Truly, the parish priest who is caring, generous, and delicately considerate in many ways is a good witness of communion.

One of the parishioners also gave me a deep impression. She invited us for lunch and shared her own story. She lost her husband in a car accident at the age of 31. Being alone, she had to raise three daughters. At present, working as an environmental sanitation worker, she witnesses her faith with joy. Whenever given the chance, she is willing to treat others. When she saves some money, she enjoys traveling around. Perhaps because of the many difficulties in her life, she expresses herself very freely and willingly shares what she has for the sake of her neighbors.

Good deeds really come and go. Our earth is still sustainable because there are people who pursue and practice the good of the community like the Good Samaritan.

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ July 12 (online), 13 (offline), 2022- 

“가서 너도 그렇게 하여라!”

원주교구에 파견된 지 1년 만에 미국으로 선교 가라는 또 다른 사명을 받았다.

그 동안 나는 여러 면에서 은혜로운 삶을 체험했다. 최근에는 강원도에서 가는 마지막 선교로 춘천교구 후평동 성당을 방문하여 본당 신부님의 관대한 배려로 20분 정도 강론을 했다.

연중 제15주일 복음 메시지가 착한 사마리아인에 대한 것이어서 “가서 너도 그렇게 하여라”를 주제로 잡았다.

강론을 준비하면서 춘천교구 사목교서는 참으로 기후 위기에 대한 적극적이고 절박한 응답이라는 것을 보았다. 산과 강과 바다를 전각한 춘천교구 인장은 정말 아름답다. 모든 교우가 한마음으로 하느님 말씀을 살아가면서 자연 환경을 회복하려고 노력하는 모습은 감동적이다.

2022년 춘천교구 사목교서의 주제는 “말씀 살기와 ‘찬미받으소서’ 7년 여정”이다. 이에 따른 환경 회복 실천표와 말씀 살기 실천표에는 통합 생태론 정신에 따라 ‘공동의 집’인 지구를 살리기 위해 노력하자는 다짐이 들어있다. 모든 이가 가난한 이들과 아파하는 지구, 지속 가능한 세계를 위해 “지금 당장 시작하자!”고 외친다.

하느님 말씀은 우리 가까이에 있기에 날마다 실천할 수 있지만 때로는 그 의미가 우리 눈에 잘 드러나지 않을 때가 있다. 우리 마음이 활짝 열려 있지 않으며 완고하기 때문이다.

루카 복음(10,25-37)에 나오는 착한 사마리아인의 비유는 하느님 말씀을 실천하는 비결을 알려준다. 그 비결은 어려움에 처한 이들을 사려 깊고 관대하게 배려하며 헌신적으로 도와주는 것이다.

“여행을 하던 어떤 사마리아인은 그가 있는 곳에 이르러 그를 보고서는, 가엾은 마음이 들었다. 그래서 그에게 다가가 상처에 기름과 포도주를 붓고 싸맨 다음, 자기 노새에 태워 여관으로 데리고 가서 돌보아 주었다. 이튿날 그는 두 데나리온을 꺼내 여관 주인에게 주면서, ‘저 사람을 돌보아 주십시오. 비용이 더 들면 제가 돌아올 때에 갚아 드리겠습니다.’ 하고 말하였다.” (루카 10,33-35)

오전 11시 미사 가운데 “오늘 주님께서 착한 사마리아인 상을 주신다면 누구에게 주실까요?” 하고 물으니 어떤 교우가 “우리 신부님이요” 하고 대답했다. 여러 면에서 자상하고 관대하고 섬세하게 배려하시는 본당 신부님의 모습은 친교를 드러내는 훌륭한 증거다.

본당교우들 가운데 한 분이 깊은 인상을 주었다. 그녀는 우리를 점심식사에 초대하여 자기 이야기를 나누어주었다. 그녀는 31세의 나이에 교통사고로 남편을 여의고 세 딸을 홀로 키워야 했다. 지금은 환경미화원으로 일하면서 기쁘게 신앙을 증거한다. 기회가 있을 때마다 이웃을 기꺼이 접대하며, 돈을 모으면 여행을 즐겨 다닌다. 어쩌면 삶 가운데 겪은 수많은 어려움 덕분인지 무척 자유롭게 자신을 표현하며 이웃을 위해 가진 것을 기꺼이 나눈다.

선행은 참으로 돌고 돈다. 착한 사마리아인처럼 공동체의 선을 지향하며 실천하는 사람들이 있기에 우리 지구는 여전히 지속 가능하다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,