A piece of sunshine

What’s wrong with my age? 내 나이가 어때서?

What’s wrong with my age?

I am celebrating the last turn of my 50s. I am now 59 years old and I am going to be in my 60s next year. At such a turning point, I was called to be a missionary and leave for another country.

Long ago, I was called to be a missionary in Singapore, but I came back after two and half years because of various reasons. Then, time passed like the wind and like the water.

Celebrating the 25th year of the first profession, I wholeheartedly accepted a calling to leave again. I regard this unexpected calling as a gift from God and accept it with joy and gratitude.

Being transferred to Seoul, I received various feedback: some positive, encouraging and hopeful, but some are negative and discouraging. One of the challenging questions was: “How do you dare to go abroad at the age of 60?”

This question challenged my response to the calling that I accepted as a gift from God. I pondered on getting old, and my introspection reminded me of the book titled “What’s wrong with my age?” written by Hwang Anna (Kyung-wha) in 2005.

Hwang Anna believed that every woman has a dream to go far away alone. So, at the age of 65 in 2004, she attempted a solo walking tour for 23 days from Haenam Ttangkkeut Village to the Unification Observatory. Such a journey made her life exciting and enjoyable, and she returned with deeper introspection. Rock climbing, overnight hiking, and trekking in Nepal gave her a profound sense of freedom in life.

Born in Gaeseong in present-day North Korea in 1940, she graduated from Chuncheon Teachers’ School and taught children for 40 years. After retirement in 1998, she began to travel. In 2007, she completed the 4,000-kilometer voyage of the Korean coastline from the East Sea to the South Sea and the West Sea in 100 days. In the same year, she made her pilgrimage to Santiago in Spain.

God’s calling always goes beyond the human way of thinking and judgment. Sarah was 90 years old when she gave birth to Isaac.

When God promised to bless Sarah and Abraham by giving them a son, Abraham fell face down, laughed, and said to himself: “Can a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Can Sarah give birth at ninety?” (Genesis 17:17)

It is true that Abraham and Sarah were old. Sarah also laughed and said to herself: “Will I really bear a child, old as I am?” (Gen 18:13)

Nevertheless, God’s will came to bear. The Lord did for them as he had promised…

In spite of various feedback, I started again to read through the whole Bible. While practicing driving, I do my best to get used to driving skills. Looking back, I remember how going abroad to experience something new and different was one of my dreams. In spite of my longing, I thought it was late for me to go to another country again. So, I renounced my dream and did my best here and now while appreciating each moment.

“Go forth from your land… to a land that I will show you.” (Gen 12:1) Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran. He went as the Lord directed him and set out for the land of Canaan. Abram was renamed “Abraham” (Gen 17:5), and God’s dream was realized in the end.

- The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ Sept. 24 (online), 25 (offline), 2022-

내 나이가 어때서?

나는 50대의 마지막 고비를 맞이하고 있다. 이제 쉰아홉 살이며 내년이면 60대로 넘어선다. 이와 같은 삶의 전환점에서 나는 선교사가 되라는 부르심을 받고 다른 나라로 떠난다.

오래전에 싱가포르에서 선교사로 살아가라는 부름을 받았는데 여러 이유로 2년 반을 살다 돌아왔다. 그러고나서 시간은 바람처럼 물처럼 흘러갔다.

이제 첫 서원 25주년을 맞이하며 나는 다시 떠나라는 부름을 진심으로 받아들였다. 나는 이 뜻밖의 부르심을 하느님의 선물로 여기며 기쁘고 감사로운 마음으로 받아들인다.

서울로 올라오자 다양한 피드백을 받았는데, 어떤 피드백은 긍정적이고 고무적이며 희망적이지만 몇몇 피드백은 부정적이어서 마음을 내리 누리기도 했다. 도전적인 물음 가운데 하나는 “예순 살에 어찌하여 다른 나라에 가려 하느냐?” 하는 것이었다.

이 물음은 내가 하느님의 선물로 받아들인 부르심에 대한 응답에 도전했다. 나이 들어가는 것에 대해 곰곰이 생각하다 보니 황 안나(경화) 님이 2005년에 쓴 “내 나이가 어때서?”라는 책이 떠올랐다.

황 안나 님은 혼자 먼 길 떠나는 것이 모든 여자의 꿈이라고 믿고 2004년 예순다섯 살에 해남 땅끝마을에서 통일전망대까지 23일 동안 홀로 도보여행을 시도했다. 그 여정은 자신의 삶을 신나고 즐겁게 했고, 마침내 자기 삶을 더 깊이 성찰하고 돌아왔다. 암벽 등반, 무박 산행, 네팔 트레킹은 삶 가운데 깊은 자유를 주었다.

1940년, 지금은 북한에 있는 개성에서 태어난 황 안나 님은 춘천사범학교를 졸업한 다음 40년 동안 아이들을 가르쳤으며, 1998년 퇴임 후 여행을 하기 시작했다. 2007년에는 100일에 걸쳐 동해에서 남해와 서해까지 4천 킬로미터에 이르는 한국 해안선 일주를 마쳤다. 같은 해 스페인 산티아고로 순례길을 걸었다.

하느님의 부르심은 언제나 인간의 생각과 판단을 넘어선다. 사라는 이삭을 낳았을 때 아흔 살이었다.

하느님께서 사라와 아브라함에게 아들을 주어 축복하겠다고 약속하셨을 때, 아브라함은 얼굴을 땅에 대고 엎드려 웃으면서 마음속으로 이렇게 생각했다. “나이 백 살 된 자에게서 아이가 태어난다고? 그리고 아흔 살이 된 사라가 아이를 낳을 수 있단 말인가?” (창세기 17,17)

아브라함과 사라는 참으로 나이가 들었다. 사라도 웃으면서 마음속으로 이렇게 생각했다. “내가 이미 늙었는데, 정말로 아이를 낳을 수 있을까?” (창세기 18,13)

그럼에도 하느님의 뜻이 이루어졌다. 주님께서는 약속하신 대로 그들에게 이루어 주신 것이다….

여러 피드백 가운데 나는 다시 성경을 읽기 시작했다. 운전을 연습하면서 나는 운전 기술에 익숙해지기 위해 최선을 다한다. 되돌아보니 무언가 새롭고 색다른 경험을 하기 위해 다른 나라에 가는 것이 내 꿈 가운데 하나였음을 기억한다. 그러한 갈망을 지녔는데도 다시 한 번 다른 나라에 가기에는 늦었다는 생각이 들었다. 그래서 나는 꿈을 버리고 순간순간 감사드리며 지금 여기서 최선을 다했다.

“네 고향을 떠나… 내가 너에게 보여 줄 땅으로 가거라.” (창세기 12,1) 아브람이 하란을 떠날 때 그의 나이는 일흔다섯 살이었다. 그는 주님께서 이르신 대로 가나안 땅을 향해 떠났다. 아브람은 “아브라함”으로 불리었고(창세기 ​​ 17,5), 마침내 하느님의 꿈이 이루어졌다.    

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,