A piece of sunshine

To be holy 거룩해지기

To be holy 거룩해지기

When I was in training for religious life during the initial formation period, becoming a saint seemed to be a lofty task far away from me. Making my mind up to become a holy person was so demanding for me at that time. So I didn’t dare to speak aloud about it. I thought I did not deserve to become a saint.

However, especially in this unpredictable era with various crises, becoming a holy person has become a key to living better as far as I am concerned. Now, having lived 30 years of religious life, I dare to say, “I want to become a holy person!”

As I ponder the whole life of Sister Tecla Merlo, the co-founder of the Congregation of the Daughters of St. Paul, my desire to become holy grows to be more sincere, faithful, and concrete day by day.

“I want to become a saint!”

“Let’s all become saints!”

These two expressions constituted the sincerest inner longing of Sr. Tecla Merlo. The resolute determination to be holy became her lifelong plan, and her spiritual will to become a saint has been passed down to all the Pauline sisters.

Furthermore, in this era of tension and crisis, where abnormal conditions are getting worse, the words, “I want to become a saint,” give us the direction, meaning, and vision of life.

In spite of all the obstacles and difficulties, we do our best here and now to live to the fullest, while living every moment as if it is the last moment. Yes, that’s it. We don’t have to worry about the future because we are “worth more than many sparrows.”

“Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father’s knowledge. Even all the hairs of your head are counted. So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” (Matthew 10: 29-31).

Surely, living in the present moment with a joyful and grateful heart is the secret to becoming holy, as was witnessed by the countless saints and Sr. Tecla Merlo as well, who have stepped forward on the spiritual journey by the grace of God.

Several years before dying on Feb. 5, 1964, Sr. Tecla Merlo confessed that “Tomorrow, on the feast of the Holy Trinity, I intend to consecrate my life so that all the members of our Congregation may become saints ... I want you all to be saints. To that end, I gave my life to God today.”

On the dying bed of Sr. Tecla Merlo, Fr. James Alberione recommended herself: “Prima Maestra, give your life to the Congregation. Give yourself, your life and suffering to God so that all members may become saints. Jesus, I hope in you and I believe in you. I love you with all my heart ...”

Following in the footsteps of Jesus Christ who gave himself out on the cross, she gave everything for the good of all the members.

Holiness consists of daily faithfulness and love for God. What Sr. Tecla Merlo cherished in her heart was to make every moment pleasing to God, that is, to love God by giving everything to God and by undergoing suffering willingly.

“As God’s chosen, holy and beloved person, put on heartfelt sympathy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.” (Col 3:12).

-The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ Oct 16 (online), 17 (offline), 2022-

거룩해지기

초기양성기 동안 수도생활을 하기 위해 수련을 받을 무렵 성인聖人이 된다는 것은 나와는 동떨어진 드높은 직무로 여겨졌다. 그 당시 나는 거룩한 사람이 되리라고 마음먹는 것이 어려워 감히 거룩해지리라는 말도 꺼내지 못했다. 성인이 될 자격이 없다고 생각한 것이다.

그런데 온갖 위기가 도사리고 있는 예측불허의 시대에 거룩한 사람이 되는 것은 더 나은 삶을 살아가기 위한 열쇠가 되었다. 이제 수도생활 30년을 지나고 보니 “거룩한 사람이 되고 싶다!”고 말할 수 있다.

성바오로딸수도회 공동 창립자인 테클라 메를로 수녀님의 생애를 깊이 새길수록 내 마음에는 거룩해지고자 하는 열망이 나날이 더 진지하고 충실하게 뚜렷이 움터 오른다.

"나는 성인이 되고 싶습니다!"

“우리 모두 성인이 됩시다!”

이 두 표현은 테클라 메를로 수녀님의 진심 어린 내적 열망에서 우러나온 것이다. 거룩해지리라는 굳건한 결심은 수녀님의 평생 계획이 되었고, 성인이 되려는 영적 의지는 모든 바오로딸 수녀에게 전해져 내려오고 있다.

더욱이 비정상적 상황이 한층 심각하게 되어 긴장감을 주는 위기의 시대에 “성인이 되고 싶다”는 표현은 우리에게 삶의 방향과 의미와 비전을 준다.

온갖 걸림돌과 어려움에도 우리는 매 순간이 마치 마지막 순간이듯 살아가면서 충만한 삶을 위해 지금 여기서 최선을 다한다. 그렇다. 바로 그것이다. 우리는 수많은 ‘참새’보다 더 소중하기에 앞날에 대해 걱정할 필요가 없다.

“참새 두 마리가 한 닢에 팔리지 않느냐? 그러나 그 가운데 한 마리도 너희 아버지의 허락 없이는 땅에 떨어지지 않는다. 그분께서는 너희의 머리카락까지 다 세어 두셨다. 그러니 두려워하지 마라. 너희는 수많은 참새보다 더 귀하다.”(마태 10,29-31)

하느님의 은총으로 오로지 앞을 향해 영적 여정을 내디딘 수많은 성인과 테클라 메를로 수녀님이 증거한 것처럼 기쁘고 감사하는 마음으로 지금 이 순간을 사는 것이 바로 거룩해지는 비결이다.

1964년 2월 5일 임종하기 몇 해 전, 테클라 메를로 수녀님은 이렇게 고백했다. “내일, 거룩한 삼위일체 대축일에 저는 우리 수도회의 모든 회원이 성인이 되도록 제 삶을 봉헌하고자 합니다…. 여러분 모두 성인이 되기를 바랍니다. 이를 위해 오늘 저는 제 삶을 하느님께 바쳤습니다.”

테클라 메를로 수녀님의 임종을 지켜본 야고보 알베리오네 신부님은 수녀님에게 이렇게 권고했다. “프리마 마에스트라, 수도회를 위해 수녀님의 삶을 바치십시오. 모든 회원이 성인이 되도록 수녀님 자신, 수녀님의 삶과 고통을 하느님께 드리십시오. 예수님, 저는 당신을 희망하며 믿습니다. 온 마음 다해 당신을 사랑합니다..."

십자가에서 자신을 내어 주신 예수 그리스도의 발자취를 따라 수녀님은 모든 회원의 선을 위해 모든 것을 바쳤다.

거룩함은 매일의 충실함과 하느님께 대한 사랑으로 이루어진다. 테클라 메를로 수녀님이 소중하게 여긴 것은 순간순간 하느님을 기쁘게 해 드리는 것, 곧 모든 것을 하느님께 바치며 고통을 기꺼이 받아들임으로써 하느님을 사랑하는 것이었다.

“하느님께 선택된 사람, 거룩한 사람, 사랑받는 사람답게 마음에서 우러나오는 동정과 호의와 겸손과 온유와 인내를 입으십시오.”(콜로 3,12)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,