A piece of sunshine

Seven-year action plan 7년 행동 계획

김애란

Seven-year action plan  

“The climate is changing; why don’t we change?” was the catchphrase of “Youth 4 Climate Action.” In the book with this catchphrase as its title, Fr. Stephen Ki-suk Yang, the chairperson of the Ecological Environment Committee of the Diocese of Suwon, shares 14 stories about the environment and suggests various concrete ways to overcome the climate crisis.

In line with the seven-year journey of the Laudato Si’ (Praise be to you) Movement, he emphasizes that the only way in the era of the climate crisis is ecological repentance. The Vatican also announced that it will achieve carbon-zero and eco-friendly energy independence by 2050.

The seven-year journey of the Laudato Si’ Movement is an ongoing action platform to keep our common home safe in Catholic churches. Almost every Catholic community has put forth a seven-year action plan to save the earth.

The action plan consists of seven issues: a response to the cry of the earth, the cry of the poor, ecological economics, frugal lifestyle, eco-education, ecological spirituality, and the active participation of the community.

In union with this movement, we, the Daughters of Saint Paul, also made a concrete seven-year action plan to overcome the climate crisis.

For example, to respond to the cry of the earth, eleven key points are suggested. Some of them are to observe the proper temperature standards, use eco-friendly packaging materials actively, avoid unnecessary paper printing, realize the “Together, carbon neutral decisions” movement, seek a transition to renewable energy facilities, etc.

To reduce carbon emissions, we do not use KakaoTalk, emoticons, email, YouTube, etc., excessively. We are advised to save water; to reflect on what Laudato Si’ means; to choose a direct purchase method rather than delivery or couriers when purchasing personal items; to reduce the use of wet tissues, disposable products, and individually packaged products.

To listen to the cry of the poor, we decided to focus on the creation and distribution of popular media on human rights and bioethics; to create an atmosphere of mutual respect and listening to others in the community; to pray for the poor and the marginalized brothers in the local community and practice concrete sharing, etc.

To live more frugally, we are advised to walk a short distance; not to throw away clothes easily and wear them by mending them; to think twice before buying something to reduce consumption; to eat frugally, and be grateful for what we have been given, etc.

Toward ecological repentance, the winding road is placed in front of us...

Nature and me

I forgot that I and nature,
the environment and I are one heart and soul
that harmonize with each other.

I didn’t realize that the withering of leaves
and the drying of the roots meant
that my face would turn pale
and my body would lose its balance.

Just as it takes a long time
to recover a damaged body,
considerable effort is required to bring life
to the breath of nature that I neglected.

Just as yesterday’s self generates today’s self
and tomorrow’s self is the fruit of today’s self,
yesterday’s nature generates today’s environment
and tomorrow’s nature is the fruit of today’s environment.

So, Lord, help me to realize
that I and nature, environment and I are one,
and restore the relationship of cherishing
and caring for each other.

7년 행동 계획

“기후가 변하는데 우리는 안 변하나요?”는 “청소년기후행동(Youth 4 Climate Action)”의 슬로건이었다. 수원교구 생태환경위원회 위원장 양기석 스테파노 신부는 이 슬로건을 제목으로 한 책에서 환경에 대한 14가지 이야기를 나누며 기후 위기 극복을 위한 여러 구체적 방안을 제시한다.

양기석 신부는 “Laudato Si'(찬미받으소서)” 운동의 7년 여정과 함께 기후 위기 시대의 유일한 길은 생태적 회개임을 강조한다. 교황청 또한 2050년까지 탄소 중립과 친환경 에너지 자립을 이루겠다고 발표했다.

찬미받으소서 운동의 7년 여정은 가톨릭 교회에서 우리의 공동의 집을 안전하게 지키기 위한 지속적 행동 플랫폼이다. 거의 모든 가톨릭 공동체가 지구를 구하기 위한 7년 행동 계획을 제시했다.

행동 계획은 지구의 부르짖음에 대한 응답, 가난한 이들의 부르짖음, 생태경제학, 검소한 생활 양식, 생태교육, 생태 영성, 공동체의 능동적 참여 등 7개 주제로 이루어진다.

이 운동과 함께 우리 성바오로딸수도회 수녀들도 기후 위기 극복을 위한 구체적인 7년 행동 계획을 세웠다.

예를 들어, 우리는 지구의 부르짖음에 응답하기 위해 11가지 요점을 제시한다. 그 가운데 몇 가지 사항은 적정온도 기준 지키기, 친환경 포장재 적극 사용하기, 불필요한 종이 출력하지 않기, ‘함께해요, 탄소중립!’ 결정 사항을 적극 실천하기, 재생 에너지 설비로 전환 모색하기 등이다.

우리는 탄소 발생을 줄이기 위해 카톡. 이모티콘, 이메일, 유튜브 등을 과도하게 사용하지 않는다. 물을 아껴서 사용하고, ‘찬미받으소서’가 무엇을 뜻하는지 되새기며, 개인 물품 구입 시 배달이나 택배보다 직접 구매하는 방법을 선택하며, 물티슈, 일회용품, 개별포장 상품 등의 사용을 줄인다.

가난한 사람들의 부르짖음에 귀 기울이기 위해 우리는 인권과 생명윤리에 대한 대중적 매체의 창안과 보급에 마음 쓰고, 공동체에서 서로 존중하며 경청하는 분위기를 이루며, 지역사회의 가난하고 소외된 형제들을 위해 기도하며 구체적 나눔을 실천한다.

한층 검소하게 살기 위해 우리는 가까운 거리는 걷고, 옷을 쉽게 버리지 않고 수선하여 입는다. 소비를 줄이기 위해 무언가를 사기 전에 한번 더 생각하고, 검소하게 먹으며 나에게 주어진 것에 감사한다….

생태적 회개를 향한 꼬불꼬불한 길이 우리 앞에 놓여 있다….

자연과 나

나와 자연, 환경과 나는

서로 어우러지는 일심동체라는 걸

잊고 살았습니다.

잎새가 시들고 뿌리가 말라가는 건

곧 내 얼굴이 창백해지고

내 몸이 균형을 잃는 것임을

절감하지 못했습니다.

망가진 몸을 회복하려면 시간이 걸리듯

소홀히 대한 자연의 숨결에

생명을 불러일으키려면

상당한 노력이 필요합니다.

어제의 내가 오늘의 자아를 이루고

내일의 나는 오늘날 자아의 열매이듯

어제의 자연이 오늘의 환경을 이루고

내일의 자연은 오늘날 환경의 열매입니다.

하오니, 주님, 나와 자연,

환경과 나는 하나임을 깨달아

서로 아끼고 보살피는

관계를 회복하게 하소서. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,