A piece of sunshine

‘My other self’ 나의 또 다른 자아

‘My other self’  

"My Other Self: Conversations with Christ on Living Your Faith" is a spiritual classic written by Clarence Joseph Enzler (1910-1976). This book was first published in 1940 under the title of "My Other Self in which Christ speaks to the soul on living His Life. " Since then, it has become a steady seller, and its Korean translation also came out in 2015.

Modeled on the 15th-century classic "The Imitation of Christ" (Following the Christ) by Thomas a Kempis (1380-1471), this inspirational book helps Christians today  hear the voice of Christ who addresses readers personally as "my other self."

Through a creative, devout and profound dialogue between Jesus and readers, Clarence Enzler leads us to go through the journey of the Christian life, beginning with the call to live in friendship with Christ and fulfill His holy desire. Written in the form of a dialogue between Jesus and readers,"My Other Self" urges us to embody God's love and compassion for others.

The book is divided into three parts: the call, the means and the end. The first part invites us to live in friendship with Christ, ultimately leading to change in our lives. The second part leads us to discover the graces and tools we need to grow closer to Christ, such as detachment, virtue, humility, prayer, the Eucharist and Mass, sacrifice and the avoidance of sin. The third part invites us to learn where this journey with Christ will take us and the eternal joys that await us.

Each chapter includes short but eloquent and devotional meditations on scripture and prayers. The goal of the journey is a life of union with Christ and complete joy in eternity. The key point of this book is faith that helps us to build an intimate relationship with God. All in all, the Christian life is a life of faith that trusts in Jesus who gave himself for us and who will never stop loving us.

Born in 1910 in Dubuque, Iowa, Clarence J. Enzler studied at Columbia University and held a doctorate in Sociology from the Catholic University of America. He was always a spiritual person who thought about the priesthood before he met his wife.

He struggled with being a stutterer but he eventually overcame the speech impediment while raising a family. For 32 years from 1937 to 1972, he worked full-time as a speechwriter in the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He wrote speeches for eight different secretaries of agriculture under six different presidents.

Being a prolific author, he wrote four religious books and reflections in his spare time. He is best known for his classic Lenten devotional booklet "Everyone's Way of the Cross," which was first published in 1970.

He was ordained a deacon in the Archdiocese of Washington in 1972 and had the privilege of giving the homily at his priest son's first Mass in 1973. Enzler and his wife Kathleen Crowley Enzler had thirteen children. Enzler served in St. Mary, Mother of God Catholic Church in Washington until his death in 1976 at age 66.  

"My Other Self" is much more than a meditation on Christian living and a discursive monologue by Jesus. With the mysterious, gentle and compassionate voice of Christ, it can be steady reassurance and advice for a confused and anxious world filled with various crises.   

- Thoughts of the Times/ March 19 (online), 20 (offline), 2023 - 

나의 또 다른 자아 (나를 닮은 너에게)

"My Other Self: Conversations with Christ on Living Your Faith"(나의 또 다른 자아: 신앙생활에 대해 그리스도와 나눈 대화)는 클래런스 J. 엔즐러(1910-1976)의 영적 고전이다. 이 책은 "My Other Self in which Christ speaks to the soul on living His Life”(신앙생활을 하는 것에 대해 그리스도께서 영혼에게 말씀하시는 나의 또 다른 자아"라는 제목으로 1940년에 처음 출간되었다. 그 이래 이 책은 스테디셀러가 되었고, 2015년에는 한글로 번역되어 “나를 닮은 너에게: 그리스도와 나눈 대화”라는 제목으로 출간되었다.

토마스 아 켐피스(1380-1471)의 15세기 고전 "준주성범”(The Imitation of Christ, 그리스도를 본받아)을 바탕으로 영감을 주는 이 책은 오늘날 신자들이 "나의 또 다른 자아"라고 일컫는 그리스도의 목소리에 귀 기울이도록 돕는다.  

클라렌스 엔즐러는 예수님과 이 책을 읽는 믿는 이들 사이에 오가는 창의적이고 신심 깊은 대화를 통해 그리스도와 우정을 돈독히 하며 그리스도의 거룩한 갈망을 실현하라는 부르심을 묵상하도록 초대하며 신앙생활의 여정을 걸어가도록 이끈다. 예수님과 믿는 이들 사이에 오가는 대화 형식으로 된 "나의 또 다른 자아"는 이웃에 대한 하느님의 사랑과 자비를 구현한다.  

이 책은 부르심, 방법, 결론이라는 세 부분으로 구성되어 있다. 1부는 우리가 그리스도와 우정을 나누며 살아가도록 초대하며, 궁극적으로 우리 삶을 변화시키도록 이끈다. 2부는 초연함, 덕, 겸손, 기도, 미사와 성체, 죄의 예방과 같이 그리스도께 더 가까이 가는데 필요한 은총과 방법을 발견하게 한다. 3부는 그리스도와 함께하는 친교의 여정이 우리를 어디로 이끄는지 그 최종 목표와 우리를 기다리는 영원한 기쁨이 무엇인지 깨닫도록 초대한다.  

각 장은 성경 말씀과 기도로 연결된, 짧지만 감동적이고 깊이 있는 묵상으로 이끈다. 여정의 목표는 그리스도와 일치하는 삶과 영원한 삶이 가져다주는 온전한 기쁨이다. 이 책의 핵심은 우리가 하느님과 친밀한 관계를 맺도록 도와주는 믿음이다. 사실 신앙생활은 우리를 위해 자신을 내어 주셨고 우리를 사랑하는 것을 영원히 멈추지 않으실 예수님을 신뢰하는 믿음의 삶이다.  

1910년, 아이오와 주 더뷰크에서 태어난 클래런스 J. 엔즐러는 컬럼비아 대학에서 공부했고 가톨릭 대학에서 사회학 박사학위를 받았다. 엔즐러는 아내를 만나기 전 사제직에 대해 생각했을 만큼 늘 영적인 사람이었다.

그는 말을 더듬는 습관으로 어려움을 겪었지만 가족을 부양하면서 언어 장애를 극복했다.  1937년부터 1972년까지 32년 동안 미국 농림부에서 전임 연설문 작가로 일하면서 6명의 대통령이 집권하는 동안 8명의 농림부 장관의 연설문을 작성해 주었다.

많은 글을 쓴 작가로서 그는 틈틈이 네 권의 신앙 서적과 묵상서를 썼으며, 1970년에 처음 출간된 "Everyone's Way of the Cross" (모든 이를 위한 십자가의 길)은 사순 시기의 영적 고전으로 가장 널리 알려져 있다.  

엔즐러는 1972년, 워싱턴 대교구에서 부제품을 받았고, 1973년 사제품을 받은 아들이 집전한 첫 미사에서 강론하는 특권을 가졌다. 엔즐러는 아내 캐슬린 크롤리 엔즐러와 함께 13명의 자녀를 두었으며, 1976년 66세의 나이로 선종할 때까지 워싱턴에 있는 천주의 성모 마리아 성당에서 봉사했다.  

"나를 닮은 너에게”는 신앙생활에 대한 묵상과 예수님과 나누는 담론적 독백을 훨씬 넘어선다. 그리스도의 신비롭고 온유하며 자애로운 목소리로 다가오는 이 책은 여러 위기로 가득한 혼란스럽고 불안한 세상 한복판에서 한결같은 신념을 갖고 살아가도록 조언한다. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,