A piece of sunshine

당신의 월든은 어디에 있나요? Where is your Walden?

1b8fae6b6eafac3cbe6ecdaef529b651_1694854237_8807.jpg
Where is your Walden? 

When I first read Henry David Thoreau's "Walden" ("Life in the Forests") in 1985, I was indelibly impressed by the idea of having spiritual freedom to live independently in the forests.

Since then, "Walden" became a symbol of living a simple life with inner freedom, and naturally, living a simple and frugal life became one of the virtues to put into practice in my life. Later on, the idea of living a simple life inspired me to live the spiritual virtue of "poverty" as well.

Nevertheless, when I entered the religious congregation, I lived in the city most of the time. Only when I went to climb the mountains during special occasions or vacations, I could enjoy walking under the trees in the forests.

Since about 65 percent of the geography of Korea consists of mountainous areas, I can say that almost every city is surrounded by mountains and hills. However, living actually in the forests is another matter.

Recently when I stayed in Canada for two months and in Boston for several weeks, I felt so free, peaceful and spontaneous thanks to the surrounding trees across huge landscapes. Whenever I took a walk, I was so pleased with the trees stretching high toward the lofty sky. I felt many blessings in nature.

Almost 20 percent of Acadia National Park in Maine is wetlands such as bogs, marshes, swamps, ponds and lakes. How pleasing and consoling to breathe with the freshwater in the ponds and lakes along the trails!

Since the flatland forests with tall and large trees are widespread across the nation, constructing private houses in the forests, near the lakes or ponds is possible.

The most beautiful impression I have is the broad and vast landscapes of the nation. State or national parks are so huge that each place shares lots of natural beauty with enjoyable walkers. It would be one of the reasons to attract more migrants to come abroad.

Those who can afford to do so construct their beautiful houses near the shore of a sea, lake or pond, or a forest. I think large spaces surrounded by trees can also protect people from approaching viruses.

Many countries are so crowded with people that they build tall skyscrapers and apartments more and more. Meanwhile, some countries are blessed with larger landscapes that still remain wild and natural. In terms of geography, the world looks unfair, but our mutual differences create the potential beauty of cooperative sharing with the help of diversity.

In spite of the differences, we have a dream to build a broader spiritual space, and that dream for inner space inspires us to ponder on the meaning of life in the most rapidly transforming world.

"Where is your Walden?"

It is the catchphrase for the Walden Pond Visitor Center in Concord, Boston. What a joy it was for me to walk around Walden Pond and step on the very spot where Henry David Thoreau lived for two years and two months from July 1845 to September 1847!

Walking along the Walden trail, I saw many people swimming in the shallow parts of the pond. Some were reading books while sitting on cozy beach chairs near the shore. Fishing, hiking, walking, swimming or reading, our dreams to be in harmony with nature are realized every day.

당신의 월든은 어디에 있나요?

1985년, 헨리 데이비드 소로우의 “월든: 숲 속의 생활”을 처음 읽었을 때 나는 숲에서 독립적으로 살아가는 영적 자유가 있다는 생각에서 잊을 수 없는 감동을 받았다.

그 이래 “월든”은 내적 자유를 누리며 단순하게 살아가는 하나의 상징이 되었다. 자연적으로 소박하고 검소하게 살아가는 것은 내 삶에서 실천해야 할 여러 덕목 가운데 하나가 되었다. 그 후 단순하게 살아가겠다는 생각은 '청빈'이라는 영적 미덕을 살아가도록 영감을 주었다.

그럼에도 나는 수도원에 입회한 후 대부분의 시간을 도심에서 살았다. 특별한 날이나 휴가철에 등산할 때 비로소 나는 숲 속 울창한 나무 아래 산책하는 즐거움을 느낄 수 있었다.

우리나라 지형의 65퍼센트 정도가 산지로 이루어져 있어 거의 모든 도시가 산과 언덕으로 둘러싸여 있다고 할 수 있지만 실제로 숲 속에 사는 것은 또 다른 문제다.

최근 나는 캐나다에서 두 달, 보스턴에서 몇 주를 지냈는데, 드넓은 풍경을 가로질러 둘러선 나무들 덕분에 얼마나 많은 자유로움과 평온함과 자연스러움을 느꼈는지 모른다. 산책할 때마다 드높은 하늘을 향해 쭉쭉 뻗은 나무들을 바라보며 한없이 기쁘기만 했다. 그런 자연 속에서 나는 참으로 많은 축복을 받았다.

메인주 아카디아 국립공원의 20퍼센트 정도는 습지와 늪, 연못이나 호수 같은 습지대로 이루어져 있다. 산책로를 거닐며 여기저기 흩어져 있는 연못과 호수에 고인 맑은 물을 바라보며 숨을 내쉰다는 것은 참으로 큰 기쁨이요 위안이다!

크나큰 나무들이 빽빽이 들어선 평지 숲이 온 나라에 널리 펼쳐져 있어 숲 속이나 호수 또는 연못 가까이에 개인 집을 지을 수 있다.

가장 아름답고 인상적인 것은 드넓고 광활한 풍경이다. 주립공원이나 국립공원의 규모는 참으로 거대하여 곳곳에서 쾌적한 산책을 즐기는 사람들은 자연의 아름다움을 만끽한다. 이처럼 아름다운 자연은 더 많은 이주민을 이 나라에 끌어들이는 요소 가운데 하나일 것이다.

여유가 있는 사람들은 바닷가나 호숫가, 연못이나 숲 근처에 예쁜 집을 짓고 산다. 나무로 둘러싸인 넓은 공간은 또한 바이러스가 사람들 가운데 침입하는 것을 예방할 수 있으리라.

많은 나라에서 인구가 너무 많아 고층 건물과 아파트를 점점 더 많이 짓고 있는 실정이다. 한편, 몇몇 나라는 야생과 자연이 여전히 그대로 남아 있는 드넓은 풍경을 누리는 축복으로 가득하다. 지리학적으로 볼 때 세상은 불공평해 보이지만, 이처럼 서로 다른 모습은 다양성에 힘입어 가능한 한 서로 협력하며 나누는 아름다움을 창출해낸다.

서로 다름에도 우리는 더 넓은 영적 공간을 구축하려는 꿈을 지닌다. 내적 공간에 대한 그 꿈은 급속도로 변하는 세상 한복판에서 삶의 의미를 곰곰이 반추하게 한다.

"당신의 월든은 어디에 있나요?"

보스턴 콩코드에 있는 월든 연못 방문자 센터의 광고 문구다. 월든 연못 주변을 거닐며 헨리 데이비드 소로우가 1845년 7월부터 1847년 9월까지 2년 2개월 동안 살았던 바로 그 자리에 발걸음을 내딛는 것은 크나큰 감격이었다.

월든 산책로를 따라 거닐면서 수심이 얕은 연못에서 수영하는 사람들을 많이 볼 수 있었다. 몇몇 사람들은 연못가 근처에 놓인 아늑한 해변 의자에 앉아 책을 읽고 있었다. 낚시, 하이킹, 걷기, 수영 또는 독서를 하면서 자연과 하나 되려는 우리의 꿈은 시나브로 이루어진다.

https://mtorchid88.blogspot.com/2023/09/where-is-your-walden.html

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,