A piece of sunshine

‘What Men Live By?’ 사람은 무엇으로 사는가?

d20e943afd032a891a12af138144ef0e_1697768278_681.jpg
‘What Men Live By?’ 

Preparing for a mission retreat program, I looked for several authors and finally met Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) in spirit.

In his works such as “War and Peace,” “Anna Karenina,” “A Confession,” and “On Life” as well as many stories including “Martin the Cobbler” and “The Death of Ivan Ilyich,” I found that he sincerely dealt with the theme of death and life. Especially “The Death of Ivan Ilyich,” which describes realistically the events leading up to and after a main character's death.

For Tolstoy, the meaning of life is naturally provided by the inevitability of death. Inspired by his intuition on mortality, he reflected on how to live and what to do.

Throughout his life, he pondered on the meaning of death: What is eternal in the face of death? How to live so as to overcome fear of death? What can we know in the face of death? The early deaths of his parents, the deaths of his two brothers, and his participation in wars might have inspired him to reflect on death.

While pondering on death, he was eager to reflect on the true meaning of life as well. Therefore, he often asked himself some fundamental questions about life: What principles do people live by? What is at the core of humanity? What are the limits of being human? What is the true value of life?

Especially after his 50s, he believed that experiencing suffering and reflecting on the self is necessary to grow.

As a result of his perennial questions about life and death, he drew three important conclusions: First, the most important time is the present. Second, the most precious person is the one near me. Third, the most important thing is to do good for that person.

“What Men Live by” deals with the fundamental question of how to live. The angel in this story said: “I have learned that all men live not by care for themselves but by love … I remained alive … because he and his wife pitied and loved me … It is love alone by which they live. He who has love is in God, and God is in him, for God is love.”

We came into being to do our best for the people we encounter every moment. Living every moment to the fullest and doing our best here and now, we are naturally inspired to prepare for the holy death.

We do not know when death will come to us. We just live in the present moment to the fullest while remembering death. “Memento mori!”

In my life, two critical moments made me deeply ponder life and death. Once, when I graduated from high school, I thought about death, but that reflection led me to a new beginning. Another critical moment was when the whole world was slammed by the COVID-19 pandemic. At this time, again, I concentrated on living every moment to the fullest.

It is much easier to live to the fullest when we are happy, joyful and healthy. The problem is when we are facing challenges. How can we live to the fullest in the midst of conflicts and difficulties? As Tolstoy affirmed, the only answer is living here and now with love and prayers. Everything beyond the present moment depends on the providence of God.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/10/162_360830.html

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ Oct. 15 (online), 16 (offline), 2023

사람은 무엇으로 사는가? 

피정 선교 프로그램을 준비하면서 여러 작가들을 둘러보던 가운데 마침내 레프 톨스토이(1828-1910)를 영적으로 만났다.

“전쟁과 평화,” “안나 카레니나,” “참회록,” “인생론” 같은 작품을 비롯하여 “구두수선공 마틴,” “이반 일리치의 죽음” 등 여러 이야기에서 톨스토이는 죽음과 삶이라는 주제를 진지하게 다루었다. 특히 주인공의 죽음과 그 이후에 일어난 일들을 사실적으로 묘사한 “이반 일리치의 죽음”은 죽음이라는 문제를 흥미롭게 다룬다.

톨스토이에게 삶의 의미는 필연적 죽음이라는 문제에 자연스럽게 뒤따라온다. 인간의 유한한 삶에 대한 통찰에서 영감을 받은 그는 과연 우리는 어떻게 살아야 하는지, 무엇을 해야 하는지 곰곰이 곱씹었다.

그는 참으로 한평생 죽음의 의미에 대해 돌아보았다. “죽음 앞에서 영원한 것은 무엇인가?” “죽음에 대한 두려움을 극복하려면 어떻게 살아야 하는가?” “죽음 앞에서 우리는 무엇을 알 수 있는가?” 어쩌면 일찍 돌아가신 부모님과 두 형의 죽음, 그리고 자신의 참전 체험은 죽음에 대해 더 깊이 돌아보게 했으리라.

그는 죽음에 대해 고민하는 한편 삶의 참된 의미에 대해서도 깊이 성찰했으며, 그 결과 삶에 대한 근본적인 물음을 스스로에게 던지곤 했다. “사람은 무엇으로 사는가?” “사람의 마음에는 무엇이 있는가?” “사람에게 주어지지 않은 것은 무엇인가?” “참된 삶의 가치는 무엇인가?”

특히 50대 이후 그는 성장하려면 고통을 체험하고 자아 성찰을 해야 한다고 믿었다.

이처럼 삶과 죽음에 대한 물음을 끊임없이 던진 결과, 그는 세 가지 중요한 결론에 이르렀다. 그 첫째는, 가장 중요한 시간은 현재라는 사실이고, 둘째는 가장 소중한 사람은 바로 내 가까이 있는 사람이며, 셋째로 가장 중요한 일은 가까이 있는 사람에게 선을 행하는 것이다.

“사람은 무엇으로 사는가?”는 어떻게 살아가야 하는지에 대한 근본적 물음을 다룬다. 이 이야기에 나오는 천사는 이렇게 말했다. “모든 사람이 살아가는 것은 자신의 행복을 위해서가 아니라 사랑이 있기 때문임을 저는 배웠습니다. 그 부부가 저를 가엾이 여겨 사랑했기에 저는 살아남았습니다. 사람은 오직 사랑으로 살아갑니다. 사랑 안에 머무르는 사람은 하느님 안에 머무르고, 하느님께서도 그 사람 안에 머무르십니다. 하느님은 사랑이시기 때문입니다.”

우리는 순간순간 만나는 사람들에게 최선을 다하기 위해 태어났다. 모든 순간을 충만하게 살고 지금 이 순간 충실하다 보면 자연스럽게 거룩한 죽음을 준비하기 마련이다.

우리는 언제 죽음이 찾아올지 모른다. 우리는 다만 언젠가 죽으리라는 사실을 떠올리며 지금 이 순간 충실하게 살아갈 뿐이다. "메멘토 모리!"

살아오면서 삶과 죽음에 대해 깊이 생각하게 한 결정적인 순간이 두 번 있었다. 한번은 고등학교를 졸업하면서 죽음에 대해 생각했는데, 그 성찰은 오히려 새로운 시작으로 이끌었다. 또 다른 결정적 순간은 코로나바이러스-19 전염병으로 온 세상이 큰 충격을 받았을 때다. 이때도 나는 순간순간을 충만하게 사는데 몰두했다.

우리가 행복하고 기쁘며 건강할 때는 충만하게 사는 것이 수월하다. 문제가 되는 것은 도전을 받을 때다. 갈등과 어려움 속에서 어떻게 하면 충만하게 살아갈 수 있을까? 톨스토이가 힘주어 말한 것처럼 이에 대한 유일한 답은 지금 이 순간 사랑하고 기도하며 사는 것이다. 지금 이 순간 이후의 모든 것은 하느님의 섭리에 달려 있다.

성바오로딸수도회 김애란 마리데레사 수녀

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,