A piece of sunshine

Finding God in Suffering 고통 속에서 하느님 찾기

64ff7f707b4c1d85fdd84991181f486c_1708783847_1907.jpg

Finding God in Suffering 

Conflicts in Ukraine, the Middle East, Taiwan, and Korea are going on regardless of our sincere hope for peace. Furthermore, many people passed away due to abnormal cold waves here and there. 

Why do such tragic situations are still happening in the world? Many people ask their struggling questions on the meaning of suffering in our lives: 

Why is there so much suffering across the countries? 

Why does such an undesirable situation happen to us? 

How can we make sense of inexpressible pain? 

Where is God in the midst of suffering and misery? 

Sometimes, it is difficult to find reasonable answers to these questions on the meaning of unanticipated suffering in life. So, unsolved questions echo constantly throughout our lives.  

Jesus also asked God at the moment of his death on the cross: “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” (My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Matthew 27:46) He was so painful that he cried out in a loud voice, but he finally surrendered his spirit to God. 

Recently I came across “Finding God in Suffering” written by Fr. Christopher M. Mahar who tries to figure out the meaning of suffering. When the book was released late in 2023, it didn’t attract my attention. 

Whenever it was my turn to serve at Pauline Books & Media Center, I just passed by this book displayed as a new release in the middle of the bookshop. Then, little by little, the title with the appealing image of suffering Jesus with his head down seemed to talk to me. 

One day, I borrowed one copy to keep reading at night. While reading it, I accidentally marked the black cover with my pencil. So, I couldn’t return it to the bookshelf, and instead, I bought it for more attentive reading. 

Since it became my book, I was free to underline and write on the book. The more I read the book, the more I found it worth reading. 

Then, I found that “Finding God in Suffering” is an inspirational reflection on the amazing mystery of human suffering. The meaning of suffering is well explained with the help of various literary stories, scripture passages and some quotations from “Salvifici Doloris,” an apostolic letter on redemptive suffering written by Pope John Paul II in 1984. 

There might be some moments when we feel God has forsaken us, but, indeed, the most faithful God always goes before us. “He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:8) 

Truly, God is always with us wherever we go. God is next to us and accompanies us in every moment of our journeys. His constant presence is a sign of his merciful, compassionate and unconditional love for us. 

Saint John Paul II said that suffering has salvific (redemptive) meaning originating from God’s unconditional and amazing love for all of us: “God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.” (John 3:16) 

Suffering is necessary to encounter Jesus and to reach out toward spiritual freedom. Surely, suffering is the way to meet Jesus and to be free from sin. Therefore, experiencing pain can broaden and transform our perspectives. 

We get inspiration and wisdom from moments of suffering, and these experiences lead us to grow and be free. 

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2024/03/162_371129.html

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ March 24 (online), 25 (offline), 2024

고통 속에서 하느님 찾기 

평화를 향한 우리의 간절한 소망과 달리 우크라이나, 중동, 타이완, 한국이 겪는 갈등은 계속 이어진다. 게다가 여기저기서 발생한 이상 한파로 많은 사람이 목숨을 잃었다. 

어찌하여 이 세상에는 이처럼 비극적인 상황이 끊임없이 벌어지는 걸까? 많은 사람이 우리가 삶 속에서 직면하는 고통의 의미에 대해 고뇌하며 물음을 던진다. 

어찌하여 나라마다 그토록 많은 고통을 받는가? 

이처럼 바람직하지 못한 상황이 왜 자꾸만 일어나는 걸까? 

이루 표현할 수 없는 고통을 어떻게 이해할 수 있을까? 

고통과 비참 가운데 하느님은 도대체 어디 계시는가? 

때때로 우리는 삶 가운데 닥친 예기치 못한 고통의 의미에 대한 물음 앞에서 적절한 대답을 하지 못한다. 그래서인지 해결되지 않은 물음들이 우리 삶 전반에 걸쳐 끊임없이 울려 퍼진다. 

예수님도 십자가에서 죽으시는 순간 하느님께 “엘리 엘리 레마 사박타니?” (“저의 하느님, 저의 하느님, 어찌하여 저를 버리셨습니까?” -마태 27,46) 하고 부르짖으셨다. 예수님은 너무나 고통스러워 큰 소리로 울부짖었으나 마침내 당신 영혼을 하느님께 맡겨드렸다. 

최근에 나는 크리스토퍼 M. 마하르 신부가 쓴 “고통 속에서 하느님 찾기”라는 책을 만났다. 크리스토퍼 신부는 이 책에서 고통의 의미에 대해 파헤친다. 2023년이 넘어갈 무렵 이 책이 처음 나왔을 때는 내 관심을 그다지 끌지 못했다. 

나는 바오로딸 서원에 있을 때마다 서원 가운데 신간 서적 코너에 전시된 이 책을 그냥 스쳐가곤 했다. 그러던 가운데 고개를 떨군 채 수난을 당하시는 예수님 모습을 담은 표지 제목이 조금씩 나에게 말을 걸어오는 것 같았다. 

어느 날, 나는 책을 빌려 밤에 읽었다. 그런데 읽다가 잘못하여 검은색 표지에 연필 자국을 내고 말았다. 그리하여 서가에 반납하지 못해 그 책을 구입하여 꼼꼼히 읽었다. 

내 책이 되었기에 자유롭게 밑줄을 긋고 글을 쓸 수 있었다. 책에 심취할수록 읽을 만하다는 생각이 들었다. 

“고통 속에서 하느님 찾기”는 인간이 겪는 고통이 지닌 놀라운 신비를 다룬, 영감을 주는 묵상이다. 저자는 여러 문학적 이야기와 성경 구절을 비롯해 1984년 교황 요한 바오로 2세가 구원하는 고통에 대해 쓴 교황 교서인 “구원에 이르는 고통”에서 발췌한 내용과 함께 고통의 의미를 잘 설명한다. 

하느님이 우리를 버리셨다고 느끼는 순간이 있을 수도 있다. 그러나 분명한 것은 지극히 충실하신 하느님은 언제나 우리 앞에 서서 가신다는 사실이다. “주님께서 너와 함께 계시며, 너를 버려두지도 저버리지도 않으실 것이다.” (신명 31,8) 

참으로 하느님은 우리가 어디를 가든 늘 우리와 함께 계신다. 하느님은 우리 곁에 계시면서 우리가 걸어가는 여정의 모든 순간에 함께하신다. 이처럼 한결같은 하느님의 현존은 우리를 향한 자비롭고 연민으로 가득하며 무조건적인 사랑의 표지다. 

요한 바오로 2세 성인은 고통이 우리 모두를 향한 무조건적이고 놀라운 하느님 사랑에서 비롯된 구원(구속)의 의미를 지닌다고 했다. “하느님께서는 세상을 너무나 사랑하신 나머지 외아들을 내주시어, 그를 믿는 사람은 누구나 멸망하지 않고 영원한 생명을 얻게 하셨다.” (요한 3,16) 

예수님을 만나 영적 자유를 향해 나아가려면 고통이 필요하다. 분명 고통은 예수님을 만나는 길, 죄에서 자유로워지는 길이다. 고통을 겪으면 우리의 관점이 넓어지며 변화된다. 

우리는 고통을 겪는 순간 영감과 지혜를 얻으며, 이러한 체험은 우리를 성장시켜 자유롭게 한다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,