A piece of sunshine

Benefits of ginger 생강의 효능

3e0a26fe1d8527b468c70a730fc801ad_1709297872_8982.jpg

Benefits of ginger 

Especially during winter, we are used to drinking Jujube (red date) ginger cinnamon tea. Always after making kimchi to be preserved throughout the whole winter season for the community, a big kettle filled with jujube ginger cinnamon tea is served in the dining room. Savoring the hot ginger tea is so consoling and soothing after the communal work of making kimchi.

In cold weather, we are more exposed to colds, coughs, sore throats, asthma, nausea or even bronchitis. As one of the most effective preventive measures, drinking ginger tea is highly recommended. Many oriental medicine doctors also recommend we keep drinking ginger tea in our daily lives to improve the immune system's ability to fight against various viruses.

In our community, we each take turns to cook one meal once a week. Each of us is willing to contribute time and energy with motherly love to prepare supper.

When it is my turn, I first check for leftovers and other old food ingredients. First of all, I try to find some way to utilize the leftover ingredients before buying something. It is one of my action points to realize “ecological conversion,” which Pope John Paul II first mentioned in 2001 and then Pope Francis further talked about it in his second Encyclical on care for our common home: “Laudato Si” (Praise Be to You) that was published in 2015.

These days, because of the chilly weather, I began to study the effects and benefits of ginger. As a result, I learned of the various benefits of ginger as a gift given by God.

So, when it was my turn to cook, I made ground ginger honey, pickled ginger and crystallized ginger slices.

Ginger is not so expensive. It is one of the common and ordinary root plants. What takes time and patience is peeling it.

Ginger was introduced from China during the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392). Since then, ginger has been considered more effective than ginseng.

We, Koreans, make use of garlic often when cooking; Japanese people are fond of utilizing it because it has so many good effects on the human body. That was why an Italian missionary sister who lived in Japan for a long time and then was sent to Singapore always made pickled ginger for the community.

Some of the benefits of ginger I learned of during my study are as follows:

First, ginger root has natural components called gingerol (zingerone) and shogaol that give it its spicy taste. These natural components provide us with antioxidant and anticancer effects. In other words, it has detoxification, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory effects.

Second, ginger warms the body, prevents colds and possesses antifungal properties.

Third, ginger purifies the blood and helps blood circulation by promoting blood activity. In this way, ginger restores metabolic function in the body.

Fourth, ginger prevents cholesterol levels from rising and relieves arteriosclerosis by lowering blood viscosity. It also prevents diabetes and other complications.

Fifth, as a natural aspirin, ginger stops arthritis, menstrual cramps and headaches.

Sixth, ginger stimulates appetite and helps digestion. It can cut down on fermentation, constipation, and other causes of bloating and intestinal gas.

Seventh, ginger breaks down visceral fat.

While cooking from time to time, I am glad to appreciate the benefits of ginger on our health.

생강의 효능 

특히 겨울에 우리는 대추 생강 계피를 넣고 끓인 차를 즐겨 마신다. 겨우 내내 공동체가 먹을 김치를 담근 다음에는 언제나 대추 생강 계피차가 가득 담긴 커다란 주전자가 식당에 마련되어 있다. 공동체가 함께 김장을 한 다음 뜨거운 생강차를 맛보는 것은 참으로 큰 위로가 되며 피로감을 가뿐하게 한다. 

추운 날씨에는 감기나 기침, 인후통, 천식, 메스꺼움, 기관지염에 더 많이 노출되기 마련인데, 이에 대한 가장 효과적인 예방법 가운데 하나는 생강차를 마시는 것이다. 여러 한의사들도 각종 바이러스에 저항하는 면역력을 기르기 위해 일상생활 가운데 꾸준히 생강차를 마실 것을 권한다. 

우리 공동체에서는 일주일에 한 번씩 번갈아 가며 저녁식사 한 끼를 준비하는데, 저마다 어머니 다운 사랑으로 시간을 내어 온 힘을 다한다. 

내 차례가 되면 나는 먼저 남은 음식과 오래된 식재료를 확인한다. 그래서 나는 물건을 사기 전에 남아있는 재료를 활용하는 방법을 먼저 찾아보곤 한다. 이는 나 스스로 “생태적 회심”을 실천하기 위해 노력을 기울이는 행동 방침 가운데 하나다.  생태적 회심은 2001년 요한 바오로 2세 교황이 처음 언급한 개념으로, 프란치스코 교황은 2015년에 두 번째로 펴낸 ‘우리 공동의 집 돌봄’을 다룬 회칙 “찬미받으소서”에서 이에 대해 한층 자세히 언급하고 있다. 

요즘 날씨가 추워지면서 생강이 지닌 장점과 효능에 대해 살펴보았는데, 그 결과 하느님께서 선물로 주신 생강이 지닌 여러 효과를 알게 되었다. 

그래서 내 식사 당번이 되었을 때 꿀에 절인 생강, 생강 피클, 생강 편강을 직접 만들어 보았다. 

생강은 그다지 비싸지 않고 흔하며 평범한 뿌리 식물에 속한다. 시간과 인내가 요구되는 것은 생강 껍질을 벗기는 일이다.  

생강은 고려시대(918-1392)에 중국에서 전래되었는데, 그 이래 생강은 인삼보다 더 효과적인 것으로 여겨졌다. 

한국인들은 요리할 때 마늘을 자주 사용하는데, 일본인들은 생강을 즐겨 활용한다. 생강이 우리 몸에 좋은 효능을 많이 지니고 있기 때문이다. 그래서인지 일본에서 오랫동안 선교사로 지내다 싱가포르에 파견된 이탈리아인 선교사 수녀님은 언제나 한결같이 공동체를 위해 생강 피클을 만들곤 했다.  

생강에 대해 공부하면서 발견한 생강의 효능 가운데 몇 가지는 다음과 같다. 

첫째, 생강 뿌리에는 생강에 매운 맛을 주는 진저롤과 쇼가올이라는 천연 성분이 들어 있는데, 바로 이 성분이 항산화와 항암 효과를 자아낸다. 다시 말해, 생강에는 해독, 노화 방지, 항염 효과가 있다. 

둘째, 생강은 몸을 따뜻하게 하고 감기를 예방하며 항진균성을 지닌다.  

셋째, 생강은 혈액을 맑게 하고 혈액활동을 촉진시켜 혈액순환을 도움으로써 신체의 신진대사 기능을 회복시킨다. 

넷째, 생강은 혈액 점도를 낮추어 콜레스테롤 수치가 올라가는 것을 예방하고 동맥경화증을 완화시키며, 당뇨병을 비롯한 여러 합병증을 예방한다. 

다섯째, 생강은 천연 아스피린으로 관절염, 생리통, 두통을 멈추게 한다.

여섯째, 생강은 식욕을 자극하고 소화를 도우며 발효작용, 변비, 복부 팽만감과 장내 가스 유발을 줄일 수 있다. 

일곱째, 생강은 내장 지방을 분해한다. 

이따금 요리를 하며 생강이 우리 건강에 미치는 효능을 알게 되어 기쁘다. 

https://mtorchid88.blogspot.com/2024/01/benefits-of-ginger.html

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,