A piece of sunshine

TOV Studio Photography 토브 스튜디오

cdb164bddf782992acb14275d80115cf_1710405488_3412.jpg

TOV Studio Photography  

One day, appreciating various types of houses, I took a walk around Lakeside on Preston in West Plano, Texas. Along the way, I came across an old lady arranging a heart-shaped decoration hung on the front door of her house. 

“Happiness” and “Welcome” were the words inscribed on the stepping stones in front of the entrance. Also, instead of a nameplate, the words “Live Well” were written on the main gate. 

I also noticed an iron sculpture standing proudly in the middle of the front yard. As I asked her its meaning, she said: “It means a mother lifting her child to the almighty God. It could also mean two crucifixes supporting each other.” 

I looked at the sculpture attentively... Then, I bid her goodbye. Just then, she replied, “My husband is a Catholic, but I don’t believe in God. I feel it doesn’t matter to me. We just touched one another while on our journeys, and we will all ultimately pass away someday.” 

Well, it is true that each of us encounters others as we go on our life's journey. Encountering various people along the way, we come and go endlessly. It seems that we meet one another by chance or coincidence, but it is God who provides everything for the good of each person. 

When I stayed in Texas, I met Stella Ma who studied Photography at Chung-Ang University. Collaborating together with her husband, she manages TOV Studio Photography for weddings, family photos, babies and events with various items of professional photography equipment and learned techniques. 

One day, with some of her friends, Stella joined in the retreat held in a Korean parish in Fort Worth. She was so touched during the retreat that she invited us to see and experience TOV Studio Photography. 

Thus, we took some time to visit the studio. Especially because we needed a portrait photo, we were willing to accept her hospitality. Once we entered the studio, they asked us to try various poses and took many photos of each of us. 

“Tov” in Hebrew means good. Tov also means beautiful, excellent, joyful, whole, goodness, blessing, happiness and welfare. The word appears in the book of Genesis in the Old Testament when God said, “It was good to see,” (Genesis 1:4,10,12,18,21,25,31). Looking at and appreciating every creature he made, God expressed the goodness of each being! 

“Good deeds” (John 5:29), “a good work” (Philippians 1:6), and “all that is good” (Hebrews 13:21) are related to the goodness that God provides for us. It is so good, happy and pleasing to see and experience goodness in our lives! Selfless hospitality, generosity and cheerful sharing are all the fruits of good works and good deeds. 

Slowly recovering from her health issue, Stella has to struggle a lot but she does her best to study the Bible, to read good spiritual books and to share food with others. Remembering the good examples of her parents, she is doing all this good work for others. 

Surely, suffering and trials are challenging, but difficult moments can be a stepping stone toward spiritual growth. 

“Mazel tov,” or good luck and well wishes, to all those who are undergoing personal trials at this time. Happy are those who are willing to share with others despite of challenging situations. 

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/11/162_362625.html 

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ Nov. 13 (online), 14 (offline), 2023 

토브 스튜디오 

어느 날, 여러 형태의 집을 감상하면서 텍사스주 웨스트 플레이노에 있는 ‘레이크사이드 온 프레스턴’ 주변을 산책했다. 여기저기 거닐다 어느 집에 이르러 현관문에 하트 모양의 장식을 걸고 있는 노부인을 만났다. 

그 집 입구 앞 디딤돌에는 'Happiness(행복)'과 'Welcome(환영)'이라는 글이 새겨져 있었고, 정문에는 명패 대신 “Live Well(잘 사세요)”이라는 글이 쓰여 있었다. 

앞마당 한복판에 당당하게 서 있는 철제 조각상도 눈에 띄었다. 조각의 의미를 묻자 노부인은 말했다. “어머니가 자기 아이를 전지전능하신 하느님께 들어올리는 것을 뜻하지. 두 개의 십자가가 서로를 지지하는 것을 뜻하기도 해.” 

나는 그 조각을 찬찬히 바라고는 작별 인사를 건넸다. 그러자 그 노부인이 덧붙여 말했다. “남편은 가톨릭 신자인데 난 하느님을 믿지 않아. 나에겐 그게 중요하지 않아. 우리는 저마다 여정을 걸어가다 서로 만났을 뿐이고, 결국 우리 모두는 언젠가 세상을 떠나겠지.” 

사실 우리는 저마다 삶의 여정을 걸어가면서 서로 만난다. 길을 가다 여러 사람들을 만나며 끊임없이 오간다. 우연히 만나는 것 같지만 한 사람 한 사람의 선善을 위해 모든 것을 마련해 주시는 분은 하느님이시다. 

텍사스에 머물렀을 때 중앙대학교에서 사진학을 전공한 스텔라를 만났다. 스텔라는 남편과 함께 다양한 전문 사진 장비와 노련한 기술로 웨딩, 가족, 아기, 각종 행사 사진을 찍어주는 TOV 스튜디오를 운영한다. 

어느 날, 스텔라는 몇몇 친구들과 함께 포트워스 한인 성당에서 진행한 피정에 참석했다. 스텔라는 피정 동안 감동을 받은 나머지 우리를 초대하여 TOV 스튜디오를 견학하고 체험하게 했다. 

우리는 시간을 내어 스튜디오를 방문했다. 우리는 인물 사진이 필요했기에 우리를 환대한 스텔라의 호의를 기꺼이 받아들였다. 우리가 스튜디오에 들어서자 다양한 포즈를 취해 보라며 많은 사진을 찍어주었다. 

토브(Tov)는 히브리어로 '좋다'라는 뜻이다. 토브는 또한 아름다운, 탁월한, 즐거운, 온전한, 선함, 축복, 행복, 복지를 뜻한다. 이 단어는 구약성경 창세기에 하느님이 “보시니 좋았다”고 하신 말씀에 나온다(창세기 1,4.10.12.18.21.25.31). 하느님은 손수 만드신 모든 피조물을 바라보고 음미하며 각 존재 안에 깃든 선善을 표현하셨다! 

“선행”(요한복음 5,29), “좋은 일”(필리피서 1,6), “온갖 좋은 것”(히브리서 13,21)은 하느님이 우리에게 마련해 주시는 선善과 관련 있다. 우리 삶에서 선함을 보고 체험하는 것은 참으로 좋고 행복하며 즐거운 일이다! 사심 없는 환대와 너그러움, 기쁜 나눔은 모두 좋은 일과 선행의 열매들이다. 

건강 문제로 서서히 회복하고 있는 스텔라는 많은 어려움을 겪으면서도 성경을 공부하고 유익한 영적 독서를 하며 이웃과 음식을 나누는 데 최선을 다한다. 스텔라는 부모님이 보여주신 훌륭한 귀감을 기억하면서 다른 이들을 위해 온갖 좋은 일을 한다. 

고통과 시련은 분명 도전적이지만, 힘겨운 순간들은 영적 성장을 향한 디딤돌이 될 수 있다. 

지금 이 순간 개인적으로 시련을 겪고 있는 모든 이에게 행운을 빈다. “마젤 토브!” 어려운 상황에도 기꺼이 이웃과 더불어 나누는 이들은 행복하다.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,