A piece of sunshine

‘A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’ 이웃과 함께하는 아름다운 날

a61c32edb1716c5161d75edfc6cc22e3_1712556159_2999.jpg
‘A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’ 

In the beginning, I had no idea at all about Fred Rogers who was well-known as Mister Rogers. But while watching the 2019 film “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” I began to appreciate every moment of his life: his childhood pains, compassionate perspectives, inspiring vision and gentle and tranquil attitude toward life.

Fred Rogers was a shy, introverted, musical and chubby kid, but he overcame his lonely and difficult childhood by playing at home alone with a puppet (a ventriloquist dummy) as well as stuffed animals.

“A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” is about the life and inspiring philosophy of the late Reverend Fred McFeely Rogers (1928-2003). “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” is one of his favorite songs that he often sang during television shows. The lyrics are as follows:

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood.

A beautiful day for a neighbor!

Would you be mine? Could you be mine?

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood.

A neighborly day for a beauty!

Would you be mine? Could you be mine?

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you.

I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So, let's make the most of this beautiful day.

Since we're together, we might as well say.

……

Won't you be my neighbor?

……

Neighbors are people who are close to us.

And friends are people who are close to our hearts.

I like to think of you as my neighbor and my friend.

Starting in 1968, a half-hour educational children’s program titled “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” lasted for 30 years with 895 episodes, which emphasized the importance of young children’s social and emotional needs through cognitive learning.

His communal sense of neighborhood is well explained in a true story that happened during the Special Olympics. Fred Rogers shared this story in his commencement speech at Middlebury College in 2001 as follows:

"There were nine physically and mentally disabled contestants to run together. They took off from the starting line, but one little boy stumbled and fell. He began to cry. As the other eight children heard him crying, they slowed down and turned around. Then, all the boys ran back to him. They linked their arms together and joyfully walked together to the finish line. They all finished at the same time."

What a marvelous story it is! As an ordained Presbyterian minister, showrunner, producer, composer, actor, singer, puppeteer and creator, Fred Rogers ministered to children and their families through television. As a host of the preschool television series, he was wholly present to people every moment.

Every morning, he got up at 5 a.m. to pray for his family, friends, neighbors and acquaintances. With the help of his constant and faithful prayers, he was kind, gentle, serene and composed throughout his life.

“Therefore, put on the armor of God … Stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate, and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace. In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” (Ephesians 6:13-17)

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2024/03/162_370603.html

The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ March 18 (online), 19 (offline), 2024

이웃과 함께하는 아름다운 날 

미스터 로저스로 널리 알려진 프레드 로저스에 대해 잘 알지 못했지만 2019년에 개봉된 ‘이웃과 함께하는 아름다운 날’이라는 영화를 보면서 어린 시절 그가 겪은 아픔, 자애롭게 바라보는 눈길, 영감을 주는 비전, 온유하고 평온한 삶의 태도 등 그가 살아낸 삶의 모든 순간을 음미하게 되었다. 

프레드 로저스는 수줍음이 많고 내성적이며 음악성이 있는 잘생긴 아이였는데, 집에서 동물 인형은 물론 복화술 인형을 가지고 혼자 놀면서 외롭고 힘든 어린 시절을 극복했다. 

“이웃과 함께하는 아름다운 날”은 이미 세상을 떠난 프레드 맥필리 로저스 목사(1928-2003)의 삶과 영감 어린 철학을 다룬다. “내 이웃이 되어줄래요?”는 로저스가 텔레비전 쇼에서 자주 부른 노래로 그의 애창곡 가운데 하나인데 그 가사는 다음과 같다. 

이 동네 날씨는 참 좋아요. 

이웃에게도 아름다운 날이지요! 

내 이웃이 되지 않을래요? 내 이웃이 되어줄래요? 

이 아름다운 나무 아래 이웃과 함께하기 좋은 날. 

아름다운 사람과 보내기 좋은 날! 

내 이웃이 되지 않을래요? 내 이웃이 되어줄래요? 

바로 당신 같은 사람과 이웃이 되길 늘 바랐어요. 

당신과 같은 동네에 언제나 함께 살고 싶었어요. 

그러니 이 아름다운 날을 맘껏 즐겨 보아요. 

이제 우리 함께 있으니 이렇게 말해도 될 것 같아요. 

…… 

내 이웃이 되어줄래요? 

…… 

이웃은 우리와 가까운 사람들. 

친구는 우리 마음에 가까운 사람들. 

나는 당신을 내 이웃이자 벗으로 생각하고 싶어요. 

1968년에 시작된 30분짜리 어린이 교육 프로그램 "미스터 로저스의 이웃"은 인지 학습을 통한 어린이들의 사회적, 정서적 욕구의 중요성에 초점을 둔 895개의 에피소드로 구성되었으며 30년 동안 계속 방영되었다. 

이웃에 대한 그의 공동체적 인식은 장애인올림픽 대회 때 일어난 실화에 잘 드러난다. 프레드 로저스는 2001년 미들베리 대학 졸업식 연설에서 다음과 같은 이야기를 나누었다. 

신체적, 정신적 장애인들의 달리기 대회에 참가자 9명이 함께 뛰었다. 그들은 출발선에서 함께 뛰었는데, 한 어린 소년이 비틀거리다 넘어지고 말았다. 그가 울기 시작하자 다른 여덟 명의 아이들은 그 소리를 듣고 발걸음을 늦추며 돌아보았다. 곧바로 모든 소년이 그에게 달려갔다. 그들은 모두 함께 팔짱을 끼고 결승선을 향해 신나게 걸어갔다. 그들은 동시에 결승선에 다다랐다. 

참 아름다운 이야기다! 프레드 로저스는 안수받은 장로교 목사, 쇼러너(총책임자), 프로듀서, 작곡가, 배우, 가수, 인형술사(인형을 조종하는 사람), 창작자로서 텔레비전을 통해 어린이와 그 가족들에게 다가갔다. 유치원 텔레비전 시리즈 진행자로서 그는 순간순간 만나는 사람들 가운데 온전히 함께했다. 

로저스는 매일 아침 5시에 일어나 자신의 가족과 친구, 이웃과 지인들을 위해 기도했다. 이처럼 항구하고 충실한 기도 덕분에 그는 한평생 친절하고 온유하고 해맑았으며 평온하게 살았다. 

“하느님의 무기로 완전한 무장을 갖추십시오. 그리하여 진리로 허리에 띠를 두르고 의로움의 갑옷을 입고 굳건히 서십시오. 발에는 평화의 복음을 위한 준비의 신을 신으십시오. 무엇보다도 믿음의 방패를 잡으십시오. 여러분은 악한 자가 쏘는 불화살을 그 방패로 막아서 끌 수 있을 것입니다. 그리고 구원의 투구를 받아쓰고 성령의 칼을 받아 쥐십시오. 성령의 칼은 하느님의 말씀입니다.” (에페소 6:13-17)

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,