A piece of sunshine

시츄에잇에서 보낸 일주일 One week in Scituate

a0f501298bf01f7bfd076e6a6f2aae43_1720683252_4908.jpg

One week in Scituate 시츄에잇에서 보낸 일주일

Whenever I have a vacation, I prefer climbing mountains and walking by the seashore together with my sisters. Being closer to mountains and the sea is always inspiring, healing, refreshing and relaxing. Living abroad, this year was no exception thanks to sisters with goodwill and generosity. 

Appreciating hard-working sisters, Reverend Monsignor Frederick R. Condon (1920-97) donated the Condon family summer house in Scituate to the Daughters of St. Paul in the United States in 1983. Monsignor Condon wanted this house to be “a place of peace and joyful rest” for the religious sisters. 

For a week in June after making my annual retreat (spiritual exercises), I stayed at that house in Scituate, a small coastal town with a harbor situated halfway between Boston and Plymouth, MA. 

“Scituate” is derived from the Indian word “Satuit” which means cold brook or small stream flowing into the harbor. The early settlers who arrived at this harbor in the 1630s spelled it as Sityate, Cituate or Seteat in the beginning. Then, it was pronounced as “sit-chew-it” in the 1640s. 

Thanks to the early pilgrims who settled in this coastal area, I enjoyed walking by the seashore in Minot Beach, North Scituate Beach, Egypt Beach, Sand Hills Beach, Museum Beach, Peggotty Beach and Humarock Beach. 

Thanks to the salty seawater, all the scratches and pains that I had while gardening during the retreat were healed. 

Every morning, I got up very early to see the sunrise, but I couldn’t see a clear sunrise because of the thick clouds. What a joy it was to see the clearest sunrise on the last day of my vacation. 

Each day, I walked on and on along the seashore and the trails in the park for about six hours. Walking by the seashore on bare feet let me be united with the sand, wet earth, the waves and the rocks. 

As I took a walk here and there with much freedom and appreciation, I felt that I truly came from the Earth. I feel most comfortable, peaceful and blissful when I am in nature. As I walk simply and lightly without thinking, I can remain in the present moment. 

Constantly moving back and forth, the waves follow the tunes of the wind and dance with humming rocks, shining pebbles and sands in the seashores. “Who stirs up the sea” so that its waves dance to and from constantly? He is “the Lord of hosts” (Jeremiah 31:35). 

“Let the earth bless the Lord… Mountains and hills, bless the Lord… Everything growing on earth, bless the Lord… You Springs, bless the Lord… Seas and rivers, bless the Lord… You sea monsters and all water creatures, bless the Lord…” (Daniel 3:74-79). 

One thing very interesting about the seashore spread throughout the coastal Scituate is that it is surrounded by private houses except the entrance to the beach. Walking along the seashore, I couldn’t find any stores nearby. 

Just living by the sea and contemplating the constant waves and the peaceful horizon, our neighbors become simple, gentle and mild. Those who appreciate and enjoy the marvelous beauty of the sea become warm-hearted, friendly, kind and calm. They are neither in a hurry nor assertive. They flow freely and spontaneously following the high and low tides of life. 

* The Korea Times / Thoughts of the Times / July 9 (online), 10 (offline), 2024 

시츄에잇에서 보낸 일주일 One week in Scituate

휴가 때 나는 언니들과 함께 산에 오르거나 바닷가를 거니는 것을 좋아한다. 산과 바다를 가까이하는 것은 언제나 영감을 주고 치유하며 자신을 새롭게 하여 편안하게 한다. 해외에 있어도 수녀님들의 선의와 관대함 덕분에 올해 또한 숲과 바다를 가까이하며 보냈다. 

참으로 열심히 뛰는 수녀들을 알아보신 프레더릭 R. 컨돈 몬시뇰(1920-97)은 1983년 미국 시츄에잇에 있는 컨돈 가족 여름 별장을 바오로딸에게 내어 주셨다. 컨돈 몬시뇰은 이 집이 수녀들에게 “평화와 기쁨을 주는 휴식처”가 되기를 바라셨다. 

덕분에 6월에 대피정을 마친 나는 일주일 동안 매사추세츠주 보스턴과 플리머스 중간 지점에 자리한 시츄에잇이라는 작은 해안 마을에 있는 그 집에 머물렀다. 

"시츄에잇Scituate"이라는 말은 시냇물 또는 항구로 흐르는 작은 개울을 뜻하는 인디언들의 말인 "Satuit"에서 파생되었다. 1630년대에 이 항구에 도착한 초기 정착민들은 이곳을 Sityate, Cituate 또는 Seteat라고 표기했는데, 1640년대에 이르러 “sit-chew-it”이라고 불렀다. 

이 해안가에 자리 잡은 초기 순례자들 덕분에 나는 미놋 비치, 노스 시츄에잇 비치, 이집트 비치, 샌드 힐스 비치, 뮤지엄 비치, 페고티 비치, 휴마록 비치를 돌아다니며 맘껏 걸었다. 

짜디짠 바닷물 덕분에 대피정 동안 틈틈이 정원을 가꾸며 생긴 상처와 가려움증이 모두 아물었다. 

나는 날마다 아침 일찍 일어나 일출을 보러 나갔는데, 짙게 드리운 구름 때문에 화창한 해돋이를 볼 수 없었다. 그런데 휴가 마지막 날, 해맑은 일출을 볼 수 있어 무척 기뻤다. 

날마다 6시간 정도 바닷가와 공원 산책로를 따라 걷고 또 걸었다. 맨발로 해변을 걷다 보면 모래와 축축한 땅, 파도와 돌멩이와 하나가 된다. 

마냥 자유롭고 감사로운 마음으로 이곳 저곳을 걷다 보면 나 자신이 참으로 흙에서 왔음을 실감한다. 나는 자연 속에 파묻혀 있을 때 가장 편안하고 평화로우며 행복하다. 아무런 생각 없이 소박하고 가벼운 마음으로 거닐다 보면 오로지 지금 이 순간에 머물 수 있다. 

끊임없이 출렁이며 움직이는 파도는 바람의 선율을 따라 바닷가에 앉아 흥얼거리는 바위들, 햇살에 반짝이는 돌멩이, 모래알과 함께 춤을 춘다. “파도 소리 요란하게 바다를 뒤흔드는” 이는 누구인가? 그는 “만군의 주님” (예레미야 31,35)이시다. 

“땅아, 주님을 찬미하여라… 산과 언덕들아, 주님을 찬미하여라… 땅에서 싹트는 것들아, 모두 주님을 찬미하여라… 샘물아, 주님을 찬미하여라… 바다와 강들아, 주님을 찬미하여라… 용들과 물에서 움직이는 모든 것들아, 주님을 찬미하여라…”(다니엘 3,74-79). 

바닷가에 펼쳐진 마을 시츄에잇의 흥미로운 모습 가운데 하나는 비치로 들어가는 입구 외에는 거의 개인 주택으로 둘러싸여 있다는 것이다. 바닷가를 따라 거닐다 보면 해변 가까이에 있는 가게는 찾아볼 수 없다. 

바다 가까이 살면서 끊임없이 출렁이는 파도와 평화로운 지평선을 바라보는 이들은 단순하고 온유하며 온화하다. 경이로운 바다의 아름다움을 관조하며 즐기는 이들은 마음이 따뜻하고 다정하며 친절하고 차분하다. 그들은 서두르거나 단호하게 말하지 않는다. 그들은 삶의 밀물과 썰물을 따라 자유롭게, 자연스럽게 흘러간다. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,