A piece of sunshine

The Emerald Necklace 에메랄드 네크리스

b5d0cc4fd486527d4afd7d35aad7c37c_1724381698_2012.jpg

The Emerald Necklace 

Scorching heat mixed with strong sunlight and high humidity affects our daily lives. My nephew living in Daegu says that he feels almost like he's in a hot frying pan. The heat wave is spread all over the world.

In such hot summer weather, walking under the trees in a forest is one way to be refreshed. Because of this refreshing benefit of trees, preserving nature and creating green spaces has been one of the challenging tasks to make the globe a better place to live.

I imagine that the vast fields and lands once created endless networks of jungles filled with trees, plants, flowers, streams, lakes, ponds and rocks.

However, under the constant influence of civilization, many green spaces have been developed and cultivated for other purposes. Despite much development here and there, it is good to see that green spaces are maintained thanks to mindful people with goodwill.

People with spiritual vision, especially ecologists and environmentalists, have constantly made efforts to protect nature from further  damage. Thanks to their goodwill and inspiring vision, we can still appreciate and enjoy the beauty of the marvelous nature around us.

One day, when I took a walk in Brookline near Boston, I came across Fairsted, a Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site!

Out of curiosity, I read a profile of Frederick Law Olmsted (1822-1903) introduced in a leaflet and found out that he was a great environmentalist with a promising vision and inspiring goodwill.

Olmsted was the first landscape architect in America, whose celebrated designs include Central Park in New York City, Biltmore Estate in Ashville, N.C., the World’s Fair in Chicago, the Capitol Grounds, Prospect Park in Brooklyn, Riverside in Illinois and Stanford University in California.

As the nation’s premier park maker and designer, he moved to a farmhouse in Brookline, Mass., in 1883, and created the five-mile trails called the Emerald Necklace covering the linked paths from Franklin Park, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Pond, Olmsted Park and Muddy River to Back Bay Fens.

The Emerald Necklace is a grand parkway connecting the heart of the city with the pastoral and picturesque rural scenery of the suburbs. Olmsted had a vision for creating the necklace in nature to give people a “lovely dale gently winding between low wooded slopes, giving a broad expanse of unbroken turf, lost in the distance.” He dreamed that everybody could escape from the industrialized urban society through the space.

He believed that “no great town can long exist without great suburbs.” He thought that our body and spirit could be healed through a close relationship with nature. Truly, we need some quiet places to be free from the stress, tension and pressure due to the hectic lifestyle.

As he firmly believed, beautiful scenery has more than restorative powers. Pastoral nature has a moral and spiritual influence on human behavior and it promotes a healthy community life that is harmonized with leisure, contemplativeness, resilience and happy tranquility.

Since my Spiritual Exercises in June this year, I jog for about an hour early every morning, facing toward the east to feel the sunrise. I think the sunrise is one of the best gifts from nature. Jogging, slowly breathing in and out, and facing the heavens give me refreshing perspectives on life.

I really appreciate all those who make the globe green, peaceful and beautiful.

*The Korea Times/ Thoughts of the Times/ August 22 (online), 23 (offline), 2024

‘에메랄드 네크리스’

강렬한 햇살과 높은 습도로 뒤섞인 뜨거운 열기는 우리 일상에 영향을 미친다. 대구에 사는 내 조카는 날씨가 마치 뜨거운 프라이팬 속에 있는 것 같다고 말한다. 이러한 열파가 세계로 퍼져 나가고 있다.

이처럼 무더운 여름 한복판에 숲 속의 나무 그늘 아래 걸어가는 것은 선선하게 지낼 수 있는 한 가지 방법이다. 나무가 주는 상큼한 느낌 덕분에 자연을 보존하고 녹지 공간을 조성하는 것은 지구를 살기 좋은 곳으로 만들기 위해 수행해야 하는 어려운 과제가 되었다.

광활한 들판과 땅이 한때는 나무와 식물, 꽃과 시내, 호수와 연못, 바위로 가득 차 끊임없이 펼쳐진 정글을 이루었으리라 상상한다.

그런데 끊임없는 문명의 영향으로 많은 녹지대가 다른 목적으로 개발되고 경작되었다. 곳곳에서 일어난 많은 개발에도 선의로 가득 차 깨어 있는 사람들 덕분에 녹지 공간이 유지되고 있음을 보는 것은 참 흐뭇한 일이다.

영적 비전을 지닌 사람들, 특히 생태학자와 환경애호가들은 자연이 더는 훼손되지 않도록 한결같이 노력해 왔다. 선의를 갖고 영감을 주는 환경운동가들의 비전 덕분에 우리는 여전히 우리 주변을 둘러싼 경이로운 자연이 주는 아름다움을 맛보며 즐길 수 있다.

어느 날, 보스턴 근처 브루클라인을 산책하던 가운데 프레드릭 로 옴스테드 국립 유적지인 페이스테드를 우연히 보았다!

유인물에 소개된 프레드릭 로 옴스테드(1822-1903) 이야기를 호기심을 갖고 유심히 훑어본 나는 그가 유망한 비전과 영감을 주는 선의를 지닌 훌륭한 환경운동가임을 알았다. 옴스테드는 미국 최초의 조경 건축가로, 그가 디자인한 유명한 건축물에는 뉴욕 센트럴 파크, 노스캐롤라이나 애슈빌에 있는 빌트모어 대저택, 시카고 만국박람회장, 캐피톨 그라운드, 뉴욕 브루클린에 있는 프로스펙트 공원, 일리노이의 리버사이드, 캘리포니아의 스탠포드 대학교가 있다.

옴스테드는 공원을 설계한 미국 최고의 디자이너로서 1883년 매사추세츠주 브루클라인에 있는 농장으로 이주하여 에메랄드 네크리스라 일컫는 5마일(8킬로미터) 길이의 산책로를 만들었다. 이 산책로는 프랭클린 공원, 아놀드 수목원, 자메이카 연못, 옴스테드 공원, 머디 리버에서 야생지 백 베이 펜스로 이어진다.

에메랄드 네크리스는 교외에 자리한 목가적이고 그림 같은 시골 풍경을 도시 한복판에 연결하는 웅장한 공원 산책로다. 옴스테드는 자연 속에 목걸이를 만들어 사람들에게 "나지막한 숲이 우거진 경사지 사이로 정감 있게 구불구불 이어지는 아름다운 골짜기, 멀리서 보면 끊일 듯 이어지는 드넓은 잔디밭이 펼쳐져 있는” 느낌을 주는 산책로에 대한 비전을 가지고 있었다. 그는 모든 이가 이 공간을 통해 산업화된 도시 사회에서 벗어날 수 있기를 꿈꾸었다.

"위대한 도시는 위대한 교외 없이는 지속될 수 없다"고 그는 믿었으며, 우리의 몸과 정신은 자연과 하나되는 친밀한 관계를 통해 치유될 수 있다고 생각했다. 참으로 우리는 분주한 생활 방식에서 비롯되는 스트레스와 긴장, 압박감에서 벗어날 수 있는 한적한 장소가 필요하다.

옴스테드가 굳게 믿었듯이 아름다운 풍경은 회복력 이상의 힘을 지닌다. 목가적인 자연은 인간 행동에 도덕적, 영적 영향을 미치며, 여유와 명상, 회복력, 행복한 평온함과 조화를 이루는 건강한 공동체 삶을 불러일으킨다.

지난 6월 대피정을 한 이래 나는 날마다 아침 일찍 일어나 한 시간 정도 조깅을 하면서 해가 떠오르는 장면을 만끽하기 위해 동쪽을 향해 달린다. 일출은 자연이 주는 최고의 선물 가운데 하나라고 생각한다. 천천히 숨을 들이마시고 내쉬며 달리는 가운데 하늘을 바라보면 삶에 대해 새로운 관점을 지닐 수 있다.

지구를 푸르고 평화로우며 아름답게 만드는 모든 이에게 진심으로 감사드린다.

https://mtorchid88.blogspot.com/2024/08/emerald-necklace.html

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,