A piece of sunshine

Creating your spiritual path 영적 여정 만들기

d023b2d91adb77751064821f21c6dcfa_1727525034_1021.jpg

Creating your spiritual path 영적 여정 만들기

Sr. Barbara Gerace is the eldest sister in our community. Going toward her 80s, she is a bit worried about her condition but she is still eager to be part of a book club with Rev. John Johnson, a retired Archdiocesan priest in Missouri. 

For September, Sr. Barbara has selected “Plan of Life: Habits to Help You Grow Closer to God” by Roger J. Landry, a priest from the Diocese of Fall River, Massachusetts. She chose this book for group reading because it offers guidance on how to deepen our prayer life. 

Each of us aspires to be better. So, we do our best every day. How can we change ourselves? How can we become transformed into a new person? Can we change the society and the world as well? 

At the end of each year's Spiritual Exercises, I take time to outline my life project, and this year was no different. I made an effort to plan more concretely, but I still find myself struggling with the daily steps needed to implement my project. Maintaining the discipline required for this journey demands a great deal of perseverance. 

Whenever I ponder on the topic of planning, the urban planning of Singapore comes to my mind. The city state, through infrastructure development and an integrated planning process, realized a three-tiered planning framework that consists of a long-term plan (concept), a master plan (for the medium term) and short-term plans. Thus, Singaporeans study their planning thoroughly and try seriously before applying it for the ultimate realization. 

“Plan of Life: Habits to help you grow closer to God” helps us to plan our spiritual life. If we want to achieve something, we surely need a concrete, practical and accessible plan. Furthermore, we have to discipline ourselves constantly with mindful will, enduring hope and dreams. 

When discussing changes, particularly within the Catholic Church, we often hear about the concepts of New Evangelization and Eucharistic Revival. These themes are frequently highlighted in conversations and initiatives aimed at revitalizing the faith community. 

As Fr. Landry notes in the book, one of the surest paths to transformation is living a Christ-centered life in communion with the Trinity. To be like Jesus, to follow Jesus, to imitate Jesus and to love God and others, are the ultimate goals of our Christian lives, whether Catholics or not. 

From this perspective, he suggests the basic habits for becoming holier: following the Holy Spirit, living a heroic moment like choosing to get out of bed immediately, offering the morning prayer to start a new day, having the general exam or evaluation to end a day well, praying regularly, living the Bible messages, attending Sunday Mass, making confession to be forgiven, living charity and almsgiving with compassion, etc. 

He also suggests several points beyond the basic habits such as Eucharistic practices through attending daily Mass and receiving spiritual communion, Marian devotions and Penitential practices like fasting to live in constant conversion. 

Several other suggestions include bringing everything into harmony to grow in virtue and to root out bad habits, having unity of life by giving time to God, spiritual reading, retreats or days of recollection and having Christian attitudes to be holier. 

Last but not least, he concludes his book with the glad tidings of joy: “The fruit of living a plan of life is joy or cheerfulness." 

Are you eager to advance in your spiritual life? Consider following a step-by-step plan to guide you on your journey. 

The Korea Times / Thoughts of the Times / September 24 (0nline), 25 (offline), 2024  

영적 여정 만들기 Creating your spiritual path

바르바라 저레이스 수녀님은 우리 공동체에서 연세가 가장 많으시다. 80대에 접어드는 수녀님은 자신의 건강 상태에 대해 염려하면서도 미주리주 대교구의 은퇴 사제인 존 존슨 신부님과 함께 북 클럽을 열정적으로 진행하신다. 

9월에 바르바라 수녀님은 매사추세츠주 폴 리버 교구에 속한 로저 J.  랜드리 신부가 쓴 "삶의 계획: 하느님과 더 가까워지도록 돕는 습관들"이라는 책을 선정했다. 북 클럽 독서용으로 이 책을 선택한 까닭은 기도 생활을 깊이는 방법을 제시하기 때문이다. 

우리는 저마다 더 나아지기를 갈망하며 나날이 최선을 다한다. 어떻게 하면 우리 자신을 바꿀 수 있을까? 어떻게 하면 새로운 사람으로 변화될 수 있을까? 우리가 과연 사회와 세상을 바꿀 수 있을까? 

해마다 대피정을 끝낼 무렵 나는 시간을 내어 내 삶의 계획을 세운다. 올해도 한결같이 계획을 세웠다. 좀더 구체적으로 계획하려고 애썼지만 나는 여전히 계획을 실천하는 일에 어려움을 겪는다. 영적 여정을 걸어가기 위해 자신을 단련하려면 참 많은 끈기가 필요하다. 

계획에 대해 고심할 때마다 싱가포르의 도시 계획이 떠오른다. 도시 국가인 싱가포르는 인프라(기본 설계) 개발과 통합된 기획 과정을 통해 장기 계획(컨셉)과 마스터 플랜(기본 계획), 단기 계획들로 이루어진 3단계 기획 프레임워크(작업 구조)를 실현했다. 따라서 싱가포르인들은 무엇보다 기획안을 철저히 연구하여 최종적으로 실현하기 전에 주의 깊게 적용하며 시도를 거듭한다. 

"삶의 계획: 하느님과 더 가까워지도록 돕는 습관들”은 우리 자신의 영적 삶을 계획하도록 돕는다. 무언가를 이루려면 구체적이고 실질적이며 접근 가능한 계획을 세워야 한다. 더욱이 우리는 깨어 있는 의지와 한결같은 희망과 꿈을 지니고 끊임없이 우리 자신을 단련해야 한다. 

특히 가톨릭 교회 안에서 변화에 대해 논의할 때, 우리는 흔히 새 복음화와 성체성사의 회복이라는 개념에 대해 듣는다. 이 주제들은 신앙 공동체에 활력을 불러일으키는 것을 목표로 하는 대화와 창안 들에서 자주 부각된다. 

랜드리 신부가 언급했듯이 변화를 향한 가장 확실한 길 가운데 하나는 그리스도를 중심으로 삼위일체와 하나되는 삶을 사는 것이다. 예수님을 닮고 따르며 예수님을 본받아 하느님과 이웃을 사랑하는 것은 가톨릭 신자이든 아니든 모든 그리스도인 삶의 궁극적 목표다. 

이러한 관점에서 랜드리 신부는 한층 거룩해지기 위해 기본이 되는 습관들을 제안한다. 성령을 따르는 것, 잠자리에서 곧바로 일어나려고 선택하는 것과 같은 영웅적 순간을 살아내는 것, 새로운 하루를 시작하기 위해 아침 기도 바치는 것, 하루를 잘 마무리하기 위해 성찰하는 것, 규칙적으로 기도하는 것, 성경 말씀을 살아가는 것, 주일 미사에 참례하는 것, 고해성사를 통해 용서받는 것, 사랑으로 살아가며 자비로이 자선하는 것 등이다. 

그는 또한 기본적으로 우리가 지녀야 할 습관 외에 신앙인으로서 간직해야 할 몇 가지 사항을 덧붙인다. 매일 미사에 참례하여 성체를 받아 모시며 성체적으로 살아가기, 성모 신심 지니기, 끊임없이 회심하며 살아가기 위해 단식하기 등이다. 

이 밖에도 그는 모든 것의 균형을 이루어 덕을 키우고 나쁜 습관을 없애기, 하느님께 시간을 바침으로써 삶을 조화롭게 통합하기, 영적 독서하기, 피정하기, 한층 거룩해지는 그리스도인다운 태도 지니기 등을 제안한다. 

마지막으로 그는 기쁨을 주제로 한 반가운 메시지로 책을 마무리한다. "삶의 계획에 따라 살아가는 순간들의 열매는 기쁨, 곧 쾌활함이다." 

영적 삶에서 한층 진보하길 바라는가? 그렇다면 영적 여정을 이끌어주는 단계별 계획에 따라 걸어가는 것에 대해 생각해 보라.

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,