A piece of sunshine

<영어에세이>Three things I learned 내가 배운 세 가지

Three things I learned   내가 배운 세 가지

As I was recovering from retinal detachment surgery, I learned three things. During those days, I got up earlier because I went to bed earlier. And in the early morning hours, I asked God what his will is.

I shed tears when I gave thanks to God for the situation in which I found myself. I could still see with my right eye, walk around and wash small garments with my hands.

In the beginning, however, I thought of doing nothing. But I soon felt that this kind of thinking was rather a negative way of dealing with my reality.

Then, while encountering others, I realized three important things to keep in my mind and to put them into practice. So, while taking a break, I pondered on the meaning of those three things.

First, I was invited to see my situation and the people around me with my inner eye. It is much easier to look at superficial appearances and judge others, but Jesus always invites us to look at others and events with our inner eye without complaining, judging or criticizing.

In this world filled with the mysteries of life, there are still more beautiful and touching stories than the ugly areas of life. Looking at others with our inner eye means having empathy, sympathy, compassion, warm-hearted understanding, a forgiving heart, keeping silent, seeing the beauty of life in a positive way, appreciating the marvelous merits of people, affirming and encouraging myself and others and being inspired by the Spirit.

The second thing I learned is to talk less and slowly and to keep silent as much as I can. Being an introvert, I am rather reticent. However, it is a lot easier to talk and express myself immediately than pondering and appreciating things deep in my heart. I think sincere and thoughtful pondering is a spring of discernment, acceptance, creativity, wisdom and inspiration.

The third thing I learned again is not to overwork yourself. I used to take care of my garden during my breaks or self-study time. I hardly rested during the day. Furthermore, I tend to immerse myself and concentrate on what I am doing without interruption. I don't often get up from the chair when I'm working in front of the computer.

These habits gradually made my neck feel tense and gave me backaches. Like a blessing in disguise, I had to get enough rest while lying face down for two weeks to ensure a full recovery. When I stood or walked around, I had to lean my head forward. For another two weeks, I had to sleep on my side.

When I began to take care of myself, I came to realize the importance of taking regular breaks despite our hectic schedule. Anyhow, I am grateful for being able to refresh myself with new perspectives. Let me share with you a poem I wrote:

Way

Even if there is no road
  If I walk first
  It becomes the way.

Even if there is no hope
  If I dream desperately
  The sun rises.

Even if I am blind
  If I look inward
  I fly like a bird. 

내가 배운 세 가지

망막 박리 수술을 받고 회복하는 동안 나는 세 가지를 배웠다. 그 무렵 나는 일찍 잠자리에 들었기에 일찍 일어났다. 이른 아침 시간에 나는 하느님 뜻이 무엇인지 여쭈었다.

내가 처한 상황에 대해 하느님께 감사드릴 때 눈물이 흘렀다. 나는 여전히 오른쪽 눈으로 보고 걸어 다니며 내 손으로 작은 옷들을 빨 수 있었다.

그런데 처음에는 아무 일도 하지 않는 것에 대해 생각했다. 그러나 곧바로 나는 이러한 생각은 내 현실을 직면하는 부정적인 방식이라고 느꼈다.

그러다 사람들을 만나면서 나는 명심하여 실천해야 할 세 가지 중요한 것들을 깨달았다. 그래서 나는 휴식을 취하면서 그 세 가지 것이 뜻하는 바를 곰곰이 되새겼다.

첫째, 나는 내면의 눈으로 내 상황과 주변 사람들을 바라보라는 초대를 받았다. 피상적인 겉모습을 바라보며 사람들을 판단하는 것은 훨씬 쉽다. 그러나 예수님은 언제나 불평하고 판단하거나 비난하지 말고 내면의 눈으로 이웃과 사건들을 바라보라고 초대하신다.

생명의 신비로 가득한 이 세상에는 여전히 보기 흉한 삶의 모습보다 아름답고 감동적인 이야기가들이 훨씬 많다. 내면의 눈으로 사람들을 바라본다는 것은 감정 이입을 하고 공감하고 연민을 느끼며, 따뜻한 마음으로 이해하고 용서하고 침묵하며, 삶의 아름다움을 긍정적으로 바라보고 사람들의 놀라운 장점에 감사하며, 나 자신과 주변 사람들을 지지하고 격려하며 성령의 영감을 받는 것을 뜻한다.

두 번째로 내가 배운 것은 말을 더디 하고 천천히 말하며 가능한 한 침묵하는 것이다. 내성적인 나는 다소 과묵한 편이다. 하지만 내 마음 깊은 곳에 있는 것들을 숙고하며 음미하는 것보다 나 자신을 곧바로 말하며 표현하는 것이 훨씬 쉽다. 진지하고 사려 깊게 숙고하는 것은 식별과 수용, 창의력과 지혜, 영감의 샘이라고 생각한다.

세 번째로 내가 거듭 배운 것은 과로하지 않는 것이다. 나는 쉬는 시간이나 자습 시간에 정원을 가꾸곤 했고, 낮에는 거의 쉬지 않았다. 게다가 나는 몰입을 잘하여 아무런 방해도 받지 않고 내가 하는 일에 집중하는 경향이 있다. 컴퓨터 앞에서 일할 때 나는 의자에서 자주 일어서지 않는다.

이러한 습관으로 인해 목이 점차 뻐근했고 요통이 생겼다. 그런데 전화위복으로 나는 온전한 회복을 위해 2주 동안 엎드린 상태에서 충분한 휴식을 취해야 했다. 일어서거나 걸어 다닐 때는 고개를 앞으로 숙여야 했다. 그리고 또 2주 동안은 옆으로 자야 했다.

나 자신을 돌보면서 나는 바쁜 일정 속에서도 규칙적으로 휴식을 취하는 것이 중요함을 깨달았다. 아무튼 나는 새로운 시각으로 나 자신을 새롭게 할 수 있어 감사롭다. 내가 쓴 시 한 편을 함께 나누고 싶다.

길이 없어도
내가 먼저 걸으면
길이 됩니다.

희망이 없어도
간절히 꿈꾸면
해가 뜹니다.

시야가 가려도
내면으로 바라보면
새처럼 날아갑니다. 

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,